Dogging Bear Quota Hunt

greg_n_clayton

I would like to see a hunt this time of the year
I would like to see a hunt of any kind coordinated just after turkey season. To get people in the woods when turkey poults and fawns are most vulnerable but for some reason they don't want us out there this time of year which I don't get. If the bears are such a problem you'd think they would let us hunt them when they are most vulnerable themselves. Maybe one day. But definitely if they do the dog season anytime outside of normal archery season, I'm in!!!
Every bear dog hunter I know will not have a dog that will pay a deer/fawn or turkey any attention ! It just ain't gonna be in the pack...or anybody else's for the matter. I will leave that right there !! If it ain't a pig or a bear it just ain't happening .... around here anyways !

Christian hughey

Every bear dog hunter I know will not have a dog that will pay a deer/fawn or turkey any attention ! It just ain't gonna be in the pack...or anybody else's for the matter. I will leave that right there !! If it ain't a pig or a bear it just ain't happening .... around here anyways !
I'm not worried about your dogs running deer or turkey. I am worried about all the ? eating them, so it would be a perfect time to run them is all I was saying and it's also the time of year the bear are most vulnerable to be harvested.

strothershwacker

I'm lookin forward to seeing how this all turns out. I'm still dead set against the timing but I'm also excited for the houndsmen that get to turn their dogs loose on some bear filled woods. It's a big victory for the dog guys, let em have their hunt. Be supportive. At the end of the day we're all on the same team.

Hillbilly stalker

I hunted with my dog beside me last year and you didn’t care. Now I have a quota to hunt against. It’s a new opportunity for me. Got nothing to do with you.
So your for the houndsman getting an opportunity ? That's totally different than trying to fill the quota before real houndsman can have a shot ? Was your dog a bear dog last year ? Was it legal to run bear dogs in that area ? As long as its legal and ethical, I could care less how you hunt. Good luck.

twincedargap

So your for the houndsman getting an opportunity ? That's totally different than trying to fill the quota before real houndsman can have a shot ? Was your dog a bear dog last year ? Was it legal to run bear dogs in that area ? As long as its legal and ethical, I could care less how you hunt. Good luck.
I said beside me. Didn’t say he was chasing anything.

greg_n_clayton

WHAT A MESS !! What i am seeing is a South vs North thing !! Do they have a dog vs bear hunt in the South ? The timing...
Yes is wrong ! But....can yall hunt bear with dogs in the Southern zone ?? And....how many yall got down there ?? They are like rats up here !

Joe Brandon

Honestly my take and what really gave me peace was just realizing that we as hunters have to stick together. Look at fb, the news, heck probably some of your coworkers, we are demonized. We gotta stick together or we'll end up fragmented and will ultimately lose as a whole. Hunt 1 hunt all let's roll baby!!!!!!!

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't hunt y'all's side of the mountain much, but I may just have to put in. I believe I can round up some fellers who know a thing or two about dogging bears ;)

View attachment 966628
I would guess you wouldn't have a whole lot of trouble rounding up a few. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can't wait........I've hunted lions, deer and hogs with dogs....never bear!
It's some of the most fun you can have clothed. And it's also a lot of work. I loved it. I grew up in a hound family in the county where Plott hounds originated, and kept bear hounds, coonhounds, and beagles for about 25 years. I unfortunately don't have the time or money or energy to do right by a good pack of hounds any more.

PappyHoel

I will apply and I’m happy that dog/bear hunters will have a chance at them.

j_seph

I've got three dogs. I'll be signing up for the quota too. Fight back is all I know to do.
Again this could end up being arranged so that just any person because they have dogs (I have 2 beagles a leopard cur and a lab) cannot put in. As @Hillbilly stalker said, deal with the state not mess with other hunters. One day your vote for something, even for regular hunting privileges may depend on these fellas votes.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Again this could end up being arranged so that just any person because they have dogs (I have 2 beagles a leopard cur and a lab) cannot put in. As @Hillbilly stalker said, deal with the state not mess with other hunters. One day your vote for something, even for regular hunting privileges may depend on these fellas votes.

Who is gonna judge the worthiness of ones hound? Id like to do it if'n the position aint been filled yet.. You gotta lead for me?

j_seph

Who is gonna judge the worthiness of ones hound? Id like to do it if'n the position aint been filled yet.. You gotta lead for me?
Could be ya gotta buy an additional permit like alligator permit. Maybe you got to buy one before you put in. Maybe you have to register your dogs with DNR and pay a fee. Who knows but I imagine there will some method.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pitch out all the Walkers first. :bounce:

humdandy

Banned
Could be ya gotta buy an additional permit like alligator permit. Maybe you got to buy one before you put in. Maybe you have to register your dogs with DNR and pay a fee. Who knows but I imagine there will some method.

That didn't work out so well for dog-deer hunters.........unfair tax is what it was....

We did the $5 fee, had to put decals on the truck when we dog hunted.....not fair.

Maybe still hunters need to register their stands? A $5 fee per stand? Label it too.....so when it is left on WMA they can be responsible for dumping trash...

Who knows but I imagine there should be some method.