Dogging Bear Quota Hunt

greg_n_clayton

Since the dog hunt is etched in stone I am curious as to how many bear you experienced dog guys expect to be taken on each of the two WMAs. I seems like if four pups tree two in one day then nine packs of experienced dogs should be able to Tree a bunch of bears over nine days. I’m guessing a lot of the smaller bears will get a pass, but what would you guess the final harvest will be. Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to determine if I should spend the time finding new hunting grounds. Also, I am not a deer hunter that hates dogs. I am a bear hunter who’s only issue was the timing of the hunt. Now that it’s a done deal I will try to make the best of it.
I have not seen the book ! But i bet there is a limit per party ! If it it is 2, and i get drawn, the small ones will get a pass and my party will be gone on day one if not...day 2. !!

jbogg

I have not seen the book ! But i bet there is a limit per party ! If it it is 2, and i get drawn, the small ones will get a pass and my party will be gone on day one if not...day 2. !!

There is no limit on the number of bears taken by each party over the nine days.

Buckman18

I’ve been working my mongrels this week. I’d like y’all to meet my trailing team: Snuffy and Fluffy
36E1A332-349D-4F61-ACA0-1BCB84B43EA0.jpeg
My pup in training: Wuffy
B887F792-B727-41A0-970B-1EDB0A009ECF.jpeg
And my catch dog: Snuggles
901D11C7-BC3E-43ED-B2F4-428DD94E2ED9.jpeg

It’s gonna be a rough week to be a bear.

brownitisdown

Dnr want the bears reduce in anyway they can so don't have to deal with them when they are not in season are that the true of it if they Care about them they wood stop alot of the so call dogs training

greg_n_clayton

I need to clear up something ! The pictures I shared with you folks are pictures that a local guy up here posted ! They wasn't above my dogs !

Heath

Y'all ain't never had a yard dog come to your tree and start some junk ?

No sir, sure haven’t. Not saying it won’t, just not likely where I tend to hunt.

Isn’t it funny how everyone knows someone who is doing all this poaching and shooting bears out of season and how dog hunters are terrible for bears and all wildlife? The Feds spent 5 million dollars undercover for years and only found 5 bears killed illegally and 2 or 3 of them were killed by their own agents! I’ve heard this bull my entire life and never seen one poached or even shot at out of season. But, I know quite a few deer hunters that claim they gut shoot every bear they see for population control. I don’t believe much of that either. You boys got to stop believing everything you hear or watch on television. If them boys are killing out of season they ain’t doing a very good job of it cause the bear are as thick as they’ve ever been!

Jbogg, lots of things factor into success of this hunt just like any other hunt. If good hunters with good dogs are drawn the results can be good. If every Tom, Dick, and Harry that claims to have applied gets drawn it won’t be successful at all. Hunting with dogs is no gimme like many believe, very few dogs and men are good at it just like any other hunting. Some are very successful but many more couldn’t catch a bear if they don’t team up and hunt in big groups. We shall see!

Heath

Dnr want the bears reduce in anyway they can so don't have to deal with them when they are not in season are that the true of it if they Care about them they wood stop alot of the so call dogs training

Hahahaha, this is rich. Fire a gun where some dogs have been treed for any amount of time and see how far you make it before the rabbit cops pay you a visit! This isn’t exactly a quiet sport where you can sneak around and do all that garbage. Bad people break the law, Period. Makes no difference if they are dog hunting, deer hunting, duck hunting, or driving down the road. Sounds like you need to find better peers, all yours seem to be outlaws. If they are poaching bear they are poaching your deer and turkeys too! Or is this more of that my brother’s cousin’s nephew’s friend told me they jump out bears with bird shot information. I’ll tell you a secret, hunters are like fishermen. They stretch the truth a tad. They haven’t done that many times or they’d be wearing some shiny new bracelets in the back of a state vehicle. I hear those same stories and always have. Mostly tall tales. Or do you have first hand knowledge you’d like to share where you witnessed it with your own two eyes? Can’t be both, either you saw it done and are part of the problem or you are telling stories that were told to you.

Tio Hey Seuss

Tio Hey Seuss

There are obviously some serious misunderstandings and flat out untruths among the general public about bear hunting with dogs.

Obviously, most of you have never been around a Pocahontas Plott or any bear dogs. Gene Walker don’t put up with ill dogs, I’ve been in his living room 3 times with him and his wonderful wife Anne visiting and talking dogs. Not sure where you boys get your information but please stop fantasizing and maybe experience something before you condemn it.
nn0j0z.jpg

Menacing, aren’t they?
There are obviously some seriously slow dudes hanging out here. Why would someone get a bunch of dogs that don't get along with other dogs, put them together, and expect them to work cooperatively? They would fight each other and not chase their quarry. Thanks for trying to educate the tards Heath.

Tio Hey Seuss

Depends on who gets drawer I know alot bowhunter that put in and hoping it turns out to be a bust
Every bow hunter who applies with the intent to take away opportunities from other hunters should be kicked in the nuts and then arrested for hunter harrassment. That's some anti hunting tactics and its crap. Grow up people.

Hillbilly stalker

There are obviously some seriously slow dudes hanging out here. Why would someone get a bunch of dogs that don't get along with other dogs, put them together, and expect them to work cooperatively? They would fight each other and not chase their quarry. Thanks for trying to educate the tards Heath.
Maybe you should read up on some of the different breeds and their characteristics. Since you obviously don't have first hand experience with them. Some dogs are known for their grit...Airedales, terriers, Plots, Black mouth cur, kemmer curs, bulldogs and more. Do they get along with other dogs ??? Why yes, will they stand to be bullied by other dogs ??? No. They wont start no junk, but they wont tuck their tail between their legs and crawl off. Some dogs will pull hair and some will just bay or tree. Some are rougher than others. I know a lot of guys with hounds who don't like to coon hunt with others who have plots, they know the plots wont put up with that face barking and what competition guys call "fang pressure". Their just a different dog. I have a buddy that has a good plot he uses on hogs. The dog is fine in a pack, but he will tell you up front , when your loading Rambler...don't try to man handle him. Where we have to coon hunt, its very likely to have yard dog come in to our trees.

Buckman18

Every bow hunter who applies with the intent to take away opportunities from other hunters should be kicked in the nuts and then arrested for hunter harrassment. That's some anti hunting tactics and its crap. Grow up people.

The folks who scheduled this hunt in the middle of, and ruining, archery season for the scores of RESIDENT archery hunters who hunt those WMAs, should be kicked in the nuts.

Again, the timing. If the timing of the hunt was between the end of archery and before the first normal gun hunt, nobody would care. But no, the state decides to shaft the folks who are loyal to these WMA’s, the same folks who pay the lease, pay for the roads, pay for the food plots, pay for the wildlife techs who manage them, and pay for the arrogant bosses who manage the techs who made that decision. They scheduled this hunt so that non residents who hunt Tennessee and North Carolina could hunt Georgia. It’s a shame.

Tio Hey Seuss

Maybe you should read up on some of the different breeds and their characteristics. Since you obviously don't have first hand experience with them. Some dogs are known for their grit...Airedales, terriers, Plots, Black mouth cur, kemmer curs, bulldogs and more. Do they get along with other dogs ??? Why yes, will they stand to be bullied by other dogs ??? No. They wont start no junk, but they wont tuck their tail between their legs and crawl off. Some dogs will pull hair and some will just bay or tree. Some are rougher than others. I know a lot of guys with hounds who don't like to coon hunt with others who have plots, they know the plots wont put up with that face barking and what competition guys call "fang pressure". Their just a different dog. I have a buddy that has a good plot he uses on hogs. The dog is fine in a pack, but he will tell you up front , when your loading Rambler...don't try to man handle him. Where we have to coon hunt, its very likely to have yard dog come in to our trees.

I've done TONS of reading on different breeds and their characteristics. I breed and train dogs for a living and I generally have 15-20 dogs in my yard. Whether a dog has grit or not has very little bearing on if it will fight others or not. That comes down to how it was trained and handled MOST of the time. If another dogs picks a fight, that's a different story.

Hillbilly stalker

You don't train grit, a dog has it or they don't. But you do have to handle one differently that does have it. Big difference between a bird dog and a bear or hog dog.

Buckman18

The folks who scheduled this hunt in the middle of, and ruining, archery season for the scores of RESIDENT archery hunters who hunt those WMAs, should be kicked in the nuts.

Again, the timing. If the timing of the hunt was between the end of archery and before the first normal gun hunt, nobody would care. But no, the state decides to shaft the folks who are loyal to these WMA’s, the same folks who pay the lease, pay for the roads, pay for the food plots, pay for the wildlife techs who manage them, and pay for the arrogant bosses who manage the techs who made that decision. They scheduled this hunt so that non residents who hunt Tennessee and North Carolina could hunt Georgia. It’s a shame.

Even though Bowers decided to screw me and my fellow bow hunters, I want to congratulate him for his new role with DNR, and I bought him a gift to help him be successful. Anyone know the address he’s at so I can ship it to him?

BEF1A2C0-ACF1-417C-893F-9E4422509D23.jpeg

Last edited:

Heath

Again, the timing. If the timing of the hunt was between the end of archery and before the first normal gun hunt, nobody would care. But no, the state decides to shaft the folks who are loyal to these WMA’s, the same folks who pay the lease, pay for the roads, pay for the food plots, pay for the wildlife techs who manage them, and pay for the arrogant bosses who manage the techs who made that decision. They scheduled this hunt so that non residents who hunt Tennessee and North Carolina could hunt Georgia. It’s a shame.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with being uneducated about a subject, but spinning it to suit your agenda is out right wrong. This hunt wasn’t asked for by non resident hunters. It’s been fought and begged for by the bear hunters in your very own state that showed up in numbers and presented factual data to biologists and game management for years. They did it legally and finally had their voice heard. I’m sorry you had your feelings hurt but last year the second archery hunt was 18 days and this year it’s 16 days. The first hunt wasn’t effected. I've read enough of a couple of you fellas comments to see that this isn’t about anything more than you don’t won’t to share. Enough to also see that you hunt 3 Saturday’s out of an 18 day seasons and think these WMAs are pressured hard. Try them Monday-Thurs. You will find your archery deer cult is none existent for the most part except for me and a few others who take our hunting seriously.
Hahahaha, I guess WMA archery hunters are the only ones that pay license fees. The rest of us dog hunters and Small game hunters should quit buying license since our funds aren’t used! I’ll just keep giving my money to the other states I buy out of state license in!
Again, most of you are watching way more YouTube videos and reading way more message boards than actual real life experience. That’s fine but please keep your 3rd person opinions set aside from actual experience from first hand knowledge. This is starting to get hysterical. I think I’ll let y’all have your small little world back so you can wallow in it!

Heath

You don't train grit, a dog has it or they don't. But you do have to handle one differently that does have it. Big difference between a bird dog and a bear or hog dog.

Again, you are confusing grit and aggression. Entirely different. Dogs will have one or the other or neither or both. If you choose to put up with aggression, don’t assume that everyone else does.