Dogwood Trees

Whitefeather

Management Material
I’ve tried for 20 years to plant dogwood trees in my yard. I’ve gotten them from nurseries, Ga Forestry Commission, and even dug some saplings up on the adjacent property with the same results. They do great for about 4-5 years and all get to be about 10-12’ tall with great blooms in the spring.
After that they all die. I’ve lost 2 this year that were 4-5 years old already and losing one that is 20+ years old(8” in diameter)The only indication of a problem was late last summer was they looked like they got a fungus. I sprayed them with an anti fungicide and kept them watered with a soaker hose being we were in a drought. I was looking at them today and they had blooms but they are dead except about 12” up from the ground there is some new growth. I lost 2 last year that did the same exact thing.
Any ideas????

futbolwest

There are common leaf diseases called Septoria leaf spot and spot anthracnose that cause premature leaf drop but rarely cause any long term damage.
However Dogwood Anthracnose can kill the trees. Brown , dead leaves will hang on for a long timeand you will see a lot of basal sprouting. There are fungicide sprays but they to be made at certain times of the year. The best long term solution is to plant resistant varieties.

Whitefeather

Management Material
There are common leaf diseases called Septoria leaf spot and spot anthracnose that cause premature leaf drop but rarely cause any long term damage.
However Dogwood Anthracnose can kill the trees. Brown , dead leaves will hang on for a long timeand you will see a lot of basal sprouting. There are fungicide sprays but they to be made at certain times of the year. The best long term solution is to plant resistant varieties.
That’s what it is. Previous years leaves are still on them until about March 1st.
Thanks for the response

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like anthracnose or Discula fungus. Dogwoods also do not like heavy clay soil, and dogwood borers are also a huge problem, as is powdery mildew. They do best if you have them in the sun, in good soil, with good air circulation.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Sounds like anthracnose or Discula fungus. Dogwoods also do not like heavy clay soil, and dogwood borers are also a huge problem, as is powdery mildew. They do best if you have them in the sun, in good soil, with good air circulation.
They were in sandy soil, full sun for about 8 hours. It’s just weird how good they all did for 4-5 years then died off in winter.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They were in sandy soil, full sun for about 8 hours. It’s just weird how good they all did for 4-5 years then died off in winter.
That is odd. I've never had any major problems growing them around here, unless it was site-related. They have disease and insect problems, but in general, grow well and easily. One thing they are very intolerant to is wounds from lawn equipment and such, that lets the borers in.

A good, thick coat of mulch over the roots helps, too.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Had it. I definitely think it’s that disease after googling it and seeing the leaves.