Dove field

Mike38

Looking for someone who may have a place to plant a sunflower field . I have all the equipment to plant any size field 0 to 100 acres or whatever. we can do where everyone pays there share and use my equipment or just rent the land to me . Preferably close to Vienna or within 50 miles.

casey0802

Ive been looking for the same thing. I join a dove club every year in SW Ga. would love to find a place that would be private... willing to Pay for right place..
thanks

spring

As y'all explore your options, keep in mind that some fields dove just like, and others, for whatever reason, they don't. Just because you go to the trouble to plant a field in sunflowers brings no assurance that you're going to have a barnburner.
I'd pick the field because birds like it before going to the trouble and expense of investing in it.

We did this every year - 30-years ago. We would go around the Mennonite farmers around Montezuma and find someone willing to allow us to plant a small dove field on unused land. Worked great back then.

spring

Aren't most good row crop fields likely to be in commercial production each year? Good farm land is in demand right now. Most will be planted in one of the typical South GA crops of corn, peanuts, cotton, ect by someone, either the landowner or leased out to another farmer. If the field is dry land, the going rate will be for somewhere around $150/acre; irrigated will be around $300-$350. More than likely the field is currently on a year to year lease with the same farmer. You'd need to get the landowner to pull it out of that plan, something he's likely going to be reluctant to do unless he knows you're going to be an annual and ongoing revenue source for him. Are you open to leasing a field for the current market rate?
It certainly possible there's a landowner somewhere that is planning to let his farm sit idle or hasn't yet leased it for ag production (most do that in January though) and may be glad to let some people on his property, but I'd think your odds would improve if you can find a way to become an attractive economic alternative to his current plan.
My guess is that there aren’t that many row crop fields around our highly agrarian SW Georgia that the landowner doesn’t have some sort of financial plan for. If you can find one though, I suspect he’ll be glad you’ll be bringing him one.

Last edited: