Dove Field??

fatback

What would be something or a combination that could be planted here in the next week or 2 that would have a chance to be huntable late season? It is fairly sandy soil in south central GA. Will get all day sun and is near pond with a fairly clean bank/edge. I will be getting soil samples done next week and will lime/fertilize as recommended I am more interested in what would have a chance to make in 3 to 4 months. Field will be about 4.5-5 acres. I’ve never done this before and would like to try. I just got the property last week so that is why it’s such a late start. Thanks.

sportsman94

I would look at sorghum. Think it’s 100 days to maturity or somewhere round there. It seems to be pretty hearty and could double as a deer plot if you deer hunt. Good news with the deer is it’s tall so they feel comfortable using it even in daylight. Sunflowers would be 110-120 days I think? Millet and or buckwheat would be ready in about 45-60 days if memory serves correctly. I would imagine rain is going to be the biggest factor going into the dry months. Good luck!

Big7

The Oracle
Proso + brown top millet. ?
You will see seeds in 60 - 70 days.

It's the "magic bullet" :wink:

doomtrpr_z71

hes-right-you-know-morgan-freeman.gif

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Millet , easy to grow, cheap and matures fast . Also the dove love it .

fatback

The sorghum won't be mature until November
That would be ok with me. I’m think of hopefully having a shoot around Thanksgiving. Also since it seems the deer like it as well that would be a bonus. I just wasn’t sure if they would out compete each other and if I’d be wasting my time and money to try and do both?

doomtrpr_z71

You just have to pick which one you want seed heads from, millet matures faster than sorghum so your looking at maturity in 2 months vs 3 months.

sportsman94

Yep. If you plant them both together you will have mature/old millet by the time the sorghum matures. With a field that big, you could split it in half and have two separate smaller shoots. Or alternate Bush hog size strips for each seed so you can cut all the millet for the first shoot and then cut the sorghum later on

sportsman94

For reference, I planted both together in my 2 acre dove field this season. The millet is yellowing/browning down and sorghum is not even starting to head out yet. I mixed them so I could have some hunter cover in the strips that aren’t mowed for the first hunt