Dove Hunting in the AM

across the river

They sent out a survey and more people were for it than against it, so I’m glad they at least listen to input and act on it. Most of the dove fields I have had or hunted over the years were usually better in the afternoon anyway, but it nice for those who had rather hunt early when it isn’t 95 degrees. I think it makes no difference really. If you want to hunt early, go early, and if you want to eat lunch and hunt the afternoon like you have in the past do that. Zero impact one way or another.

The Rodney

I’ve always wondered why you would wait until noon to open the season I always figured it was a federal regulation. I completed the survey and I voted in the affirmative for a morning hunt. There was a thread earlier that indicated the morning open would mean we’d stop shooting at noon, I haven’t seen that posted by the DNR can someone show him in? If you have a sunrise open people can hunt the morning they can have the afternoon or they can hunt both. I do like the idea of starting the hunt early to avoid the excessive heat and I’ve always had the best luck with the early birds. I think it is to the credit of the DNR that they posted a survey And within weeks we could see direct action from the input. It’s not like they were just soliciting opinions to talk about the data… They actually did something with it. Pretty cool in my book.

basstrkr

The only other time I remember this being allowed a cold front came through and it was actually cold to us in our camo T shirts everyone was looking for a jacket. But the front pushed the birds out ,I think we got maybe 5 total.

BriarPatch99

I'll be glad to shoot morning or evening ...

My farmer friend planted forty acres of peanuts this year ....I am happy they put a little bit of season back in October ...

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The field owner where I shoot opening day will probably open up in the afternoon. Most of the guns live 45-60 minutes from his fields and that would be a factor. There's also the belief that morning hunts run off birds worse than afternoon hunts. In the past, he would have 5 hunts over the season doing it the way he's done it for 30 years. He also has a 12 bird field limit.
His system isn't broken so it probably isn't in need of fixing.
Gil

MFOSTER

BANNED
I’m sure the ones that voted for it,was not the ones that put on the shoots.i can just imagine getting 50 or so people at there stands in the dark.im sure the big shoots will stick with the afternoon.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
We had a small dove club that shot a field about an hour from here. It was a fun place to shoot, but the owner sold it a few years ago. We had afternoon hunts. In early January of 2014, the huntmaster noted migratory birds in the field and planned a morning hunt. 4 guns showed up including me. I spent the night in the clubhouse along with the other 3 guns. No one else came. It was a memorable hunt, birds were thick for the first hour and we got our limits quickly. It was cold and windy with temps in the low 30s. I ended with one of the worst colds I've had. I took my favorite photo of my older Brittany, Abby, who was there for retrieving. She was smarter than I in getting out of the cold wind.
IMG_20140104_091350256.jpg

hrstille

Early season dove hunting is always better in the afternoon. I get twice as many birds on my fields in the afternoon. Last season is the only time I prefer to hunt in the morning.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We gonna stick to the traditional afternoon shoot also , maybe the ones around that shoot in the a.m will run all there birds to us .

SC Hunter

If the shoot is in the morning I'll be there. If it is in the afternoon I'll be there. I just like shooting birds. I can see how it will be a crap fest for the people putting on big shoots trying to get folks on the field in the dark. Early season we kill more in the afternoon than mornings anyway.

across the river

If the shoot is in the morning I'll be there. If it is in the afternoon I'll be there. I just like shooting birds. I can see how it will be a crap fest for the people putting on big shoots trying to get folks on the field in the dark. Early season we kill more in the afternoon than mornings anyway.
People have big shoots outside of opening day. They will get in the field just like they have done it every other weekend but the first one for years.

SC Hunter

People have big shoots outside of opening day. They will get in the field just like they have done it every other weekend but the first one for years.
We draw drivers licenses out of a hat and then you pick your spot. They better look the day before where they wanna sit is all I can tell em. Haha

across the river

We draw drivers licenses out of a hat and then you pick your spot. They better look the day before where they wanna sit is all I can tell em. Haha
If you didn’t scout the field the day before you are just “guessing” anyway.

Beagler

It really don’t matter to me what time it opens. I’m going to do what I usally do opening day, go have breakfast, around 12 or 1 fire the grill up and go out to my field 4 or 5 o’clock.

Hunter922

Cant imagine a pay dove shoot with everyone lined up in the dark going out to pick spots.... sounds like chaos.. no thanks.