Dove hunting on WMAs

Gl4di4torRr

Hi,

Not a dove hunter but asking because dove hunts coincide with deer hunts on WMAs.

Are you required to dove hunt on dove areas? Can you hunt dove any field you want or dove areas only?

Thanks!

chrisn1818

If small game hunts coincide with deer hunts then it is ok. Unless otherwise noted. Probably be some upset deer hunters if you start blasting while they are on stand. I hunt some clear cuts that are not planted for doves.

ucfireman

I have not seen anything that states dove hunting "only on planted dove fields" Likewise I have not seen anything that states no deer hunting dove fields.
As far as I know the whole area is open to what ever is in season and for the open dates on the WMA.
But maybe someone knows more than me.
Like said, probably **** off some deer hunters but oh well.
What I have seen though, usually deer hunts and small game hunts usually do not coincide except for archery season. (if memory is correct)

Long Cut

Years ago we had 2 knuckleheads on Joe Kurz try bow hunting a tree line just off a dove field. We had been in the field all afternoon and at 5PM they walk past us. Thinking they went further down we kept hunting, until a bird flew the inside treeline and all we heard was yelling.

Common sense isn’t common anymore.
Do not bowhunt off a dove field there’s folks hunting. If you do, at least tell them.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I don’t think the rules are clear on dove hunting on WMA’s. There are dove fields on the WMA’s around me but I’ve been told by DNR people that I need to go to the specific dove field on each area to hunt and that hunting for doves anywhere else on the WMA is not allowed during the regular season but have been told by a couple other of these fine gentleman to hunt anywhere I want to any day I want to as long as I don’t hunt the dove fields except on the open specified days.
I take note of which ranger said what and you would be surprised how many change their stance during the season.

Eroc33

I was just looking at the new regs online and on some for the WMA's it says Dove hunting only on designated fields, but I don't think it does on all of them

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
There's a few pine stands you can kill a limit on at Joe kurz before the birds start flying . They are thick in there

Big7

The Oracle
Cedar Creek ain't looking good.. At all. ?
Went to the NE most field. It was slammed at day break.

Folks was shooting at tweety birds and a very few Dove passing over high. Really high.

I'm here. Done spent the money. Lunch in Gray, Ga.
Going back. Haven't made up my mind if I'm trying the SW field this afternoon or going back to the same spot.

I see why a lot of folks PAY to hunt a Dove Field.

Not a seed on the ground. Long dead, standing sunflower. No sunflower on the head or ground.

Plenty of corn that's dry and should have been cut last Thursday or so.

VERY DISAPPOINTED in DNR right now. ?

Last edited:
Can someone answer this today (9-4-21) perhaps regarding WMA hunts?
I entered the lottery for Clybel but didn't get picked. Does the lottery only apply to opening day anyway? Meaning can I hunt there tomorrow if I wasn't picked?
Thank you in advance for your answers

Brian

across the river

I entered the lottery for Clybel but didn't get picked. Does the lottery only apply to opening day anyway? Meaning can I hunt there tomorrow if I wasn't picked?

Brian

Clybel WMA
Dove
l Georgia R3 Dove Field Adult: Sept. 4 | Youth: Sept. 11

Q200 s Sept. 4

Sept. 11, 18, 25,Oct, 2, 9, Nov. 21-28, Dec. 19-Jan. 31

It is actually hard to understand
So there's no hunting after the 4th and opens again on the 11th? Or rather the only dates Clybel can be hunted is the dates you listed as.
Sept. 11, 18, 25,Oct, 2, 9, Nov. 21-28, Dec. 19-Jan. 31

If that is the case I guess I won't be dove hunting anywhere this year as I don't have any private land to go to.
Anywhere I can hunt tomorrow (9-5-21) anyone know of?

Thanks,
Brian

Big7

The Oracle
Cedar Creek. NE field.
Both fields are in the SW quadrant of the WMA property.
Still nothing but burned up sunflower. ?

Pics ain't loading either. Will post them later.

ucfireman

Brian
No you cannot hunt there tomorrow but you already figured out when you can. Only opening day was quota, the other days listed are open to anyone.
Seems most WMAs are open only Saturday until later in the season .