DP suggestions

buckpasser

What is your opinion of dog-proofs? What brand? Two way trigger vs one? White, galvanized, brown? There are old threads on bait, but let it rip if you have the secret recipe. Tell me what you know. Thanks!

Ray357

AWOL
My opinion is that dog owners need to keep their mutts out of my traps. (Especially the ones set within 10 feet of Water) The dog proof traps work, but not as good or as easy as regular.

furtaker

I've used the Dukes and the Coon Daggers. They both work but the Coon Daggers are my favorite. I spray paint mine to help keep rust under control.

buckpasser

Do you think white is a plus or minus?

Doug B.

I don't know which ones are best. I have coon daggers and they will catch a few coons. But I seem to catch more with a regular 1 1/2 coil spring trap. I had the dp's set for several days this year in a sandy river bank so I could see what was going on by looking at tracks etc. I would catch one or two coons with the dp's then they would consistently walk around it, maybe pick up the bait I let fall on the ground, then walk off. So I made a pocket set with a little lure or bait in the hole and would have a coon every check for three or four days in a row. Fox Hollow Torpedo works really good. Just a little on a stick back in the hole in a pocket set where coons are using is deadly.

jcdona

I have used and still do use the Z trap. Great traps. I use peanuts from the mill for bait. I can't tell an advantage witb one color or another.

jakebuddy

You can catch coons with them and I have, but they will never beat a coil spring at a pocket set or dirt hole. In my opinion. I hate I spent money on them a few years ago, but to each his own.

jcdona

You can catch coons with them and I have, but they will never beat a coil spring at a pocket set or dirt hole. In my opinion. I hate I spent money on them a few years ago, but to each his own.
Yes sir indeed. They are easy to use and effective at catching only coons and possums if that is the target species.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
if you want to target raccoons only in areas where you want to avoid dogs such as suburban areas or places where dogs are known to be (coon hunters etc) they're good go to. but keep in mind all youre gonna catch is coons. the mink, most possums, fox, etc wont be in your trap when you check it--just coons. i have some but its not all i use. I know some people have said they hit the coons early with dog proofs then go back and catch mink/fox once they have thinned down the coon population

CritterCatcher

If you are going to be using them in a urban/suburban area, I suggest you use pull only DPs. The push or pull type will catch more house cats. Cats don't generally pull, but they will push. Coons always pull. Another thing you can do to reduce cat catches is to use something sweet for a bait. Cats aren't wild about it, but the raccoons love it.

furtaker

I don't know which ones are best. I have coon daggers and they will catch a few coons. But I seem to catch more with a regular 1 1/2 coil spring trap. I had the dp's set for several days this year in a sandy river bank so I could see what was going on by looking at tracks etc. I would catch one or two coons with the dp's then they would consistently walk around it, maybe pick up the bait I let fall on the ground, then walk off. So I made a pocket set with a little lure or bait in the hole and would have a coon every check for three or four days in a row. Fox Hollow Torpedo works really good. Just a little on a stick back in the hole in a pocket set where coons are using is deadly.
Doug, I know this is an old thread. But do you use polyfill under your pan when making pocket sets? I made a few last year and I had a problem with sand washing under the pan of my traps. I could actually tell where a set had been worked but the trap didn't fire because of it.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've only used dog proofs for coon footholds and I've had good success with them, but want to start using more pocket sets.

Doug B.

Doug, I know this is an old thread. But do you use polyfill under your pan when making pocket sets? I made a few last year and I had a problem with sand washing under the pan of my traps. I could actually tell where a set had been worked but the trap didn't fire because of it.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've only used dog proofs for coon footholds and I've had good success with them, but want to start using more pocket sets.
I haven't ever tried anything under the pan since I was setting in water. Sand does get under the pans occasionally though. That is a good thought. I will have to experiment some.

furtaker

I haven't ever tried anything under the pan since I was setting in water. Sand does get under the pans occasionally though. That is a good thought. I will have to experiment some.
I've never seen anybody on YouTube doing it either.

FOLES55

Lucky Charms cereal