DP suggestions

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Just ordered a dozen Z DPs, liked the ones a buddy let me use.

Dry cat food and some fish oil, caught 3 in 4 days.

Going to put a golf ball on the top to keep mice from getting the bait next year.

buckpasser

I’ve really enjoyed my Z traps. Many of them are battered and bruised now, but they get the job done.

WOODIE13

The ones I used before were push/pull trigger, the ones I have now are just pull, but heard Z has a kit to convert them

buckpasser

The ones I used before were push/pull trigger, the ones I have now are just pull, but heard Z has a kit to convert them

Oh, my Z traps came push/pull. The little peg on the mechanism sits on a shelf and can fall forward or back. I don’t know how critical it is, but felt like it couldn’t hurt.

WOODIE13

I agree totally

WOODIE13

Might weld a *** on a couple to see

WOODIE13

Nipple

WOODIE13

Heard it is to save cats in an urban situation for trapping since they normally don't pull, don't know

Doug B.

Heard it is to save cats in an urban situation for trapping since they normally don't pull, don't know
It is possible to catch a cat in one that is push/pull. I had a cat once in a coon dagger. I'm pretty sure it was feral, and I probably would have caught it if I had set a regular foot hold trap there instead of the dp. I do believe the push/pull cuts down on missing coons that might not pull up on the trigger.

WOODIE13

Guaranteed

cj580guitar

Just going through reading some of the post from the last several months. My 2 cents is I use white z-traps. I like the 2 way trigger and I’m not sure the white color helps but it’s what I can see while riding and checking traps. For bait I use a 50/50 mix of corn and floating fish food. But what I found to use is go to a fast food restaurant and ask to get a couple gals of the used fryer oil. I lightly coat the bait and use also as a trailing scent.

CritterCatcher

I use a few Freedom Brand FB2, and a few NO-ßS DPs. I also have a couple of Z-traps. My favorite is the NO-ßS, as it comes complete with a chain stake and Berkshire anchor. Bait is dry cat food and bacon grease. I put an opaque plastic cup on it to keep the weather and mice out.

I find the trails (mostly coming out of the cornfields) and put the trap smack dab in the middle of the trail. If it's the main trail, I might put three or four in row just far enough apart so they can't reach each other. I've had three of them lined right up waiting for me. Another way I use DPs is to place them near flashy coyote sets. I usually use the FB2 or Z-trap painted white in this situation as I am trying to attract the coon away from the coyote set. It works quite well.

Somebody said they won't use a DP as it isn't as effective for them as a pocket set with a 1 1/2 in front of it. Two things I will say about that. 1. In the time it takes you to put one pocket set in, I can have at least four DPs set. 2. Your pocket set has to attract the coon to it mostly by smell. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Set a DP right in the middle of a trail you know they are using, and they'll run right into it. A lot of people put the DPs out in the cornfield thinking they will find it. That's hit or miss. Use the trails coming out of the field. All but guaranteed.

BTW, there's nothing saying you can't use both. In fact, if I was trapping cornfields AND a creek, bank on it, I'd have some pocket sets down by the creek for sure.

Last edited:

sportsman94

I use a few Freedom Brand FB2, and a few NO-ßS DPs. I also have a couple of Z-traps. My favorite is the NO-ßS, as it comes complete with a chain stake and Berkshire anchor. Bait is dry cat food and bacon grease. I put an opaque plastic cup on it to keep the weather and mice out.

I find the trails (mostly coming out of the cornfields) and put the trap smack dab in the middle of the trail. If it's the main trail, I might put three or four in row just far enough apart so they can't reach each other. I've had three of them lined right up waiting for me. Another way I use DPs is to place them near flashy coyote sets. I usually use the FB2 or Z-trap painted white in this situation as I am trying to attract the coon away from the coyote set. It works quite well.

Somebody said they won't use a DP as it isn't as effective for them as a pocket set with a 1 1/2 in front of it. Two things I will say about that. 1. In the time it takes you to put one pocket set in, I can have at least four DPs set. 2. Your pocket set has to attract the coon to it mostly by smell. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Set a DP right in the middle of a trail you know they are using, and they'll run right into it. A lot of people put the DPs out in the cornfield thinking they will find it. That's hit or miss. Use the trails coming out of the field. All but guaranteed.

BTW, there's nothing saying you can't use both. In fact, if I was trapping cornfields AND a creek, bank on it, I'd have some pocket sets down by the creek for sure.

Is there anything you like more about the Kendall obermeir brand other than the disposable coming with?

I thought about getting some, but wanted to see if they were better than z traps

furtaker

The Coon Cuffs are my favorite DP but the guy who makes them died a while back and every trapping supply store has been out of them for quite some time. I'm not sure if they're history or not but I'd like to see some available again.

CritterCatcher

Is there anything you like more about the Kendall obermeir brand other than the disposable coming with?

I thought about getting some, but wanted to see if they were better than z traps

Sure, first the dog is really stout so they don't bend. It is a pull only trap which I like. There is a stopper on the trigger to keep non targets from triggering them. They come with two swivels already, but they are down in the chain, so I put a third right at the base to help keep the coon from getting leverage and pulling out. If there is a way out of a trap, a coon will find it. Also, they have a thick, tough coating on them that they bake on. I like them much better than my z-traps. Finally, they are $10 a dozen cheaper.