Dr. Deb: No instances of ventillators being rationed

MudDucker

Staff member
Really? I wouldn't trust the gov of NY or the mayor of NYC any further than I could throw either one of them. They get more airtime by making these wild claims.

Thread starter #4
I guess I'm an optimist. There is growing evidence that:

1. This thing has been around for at least a couple months longer than expected,
  2. Many more people (the herd) than believed have had it and developed some immunity,
  3. The experts (Fauci, Birx) that a week ago we all believed when they told is it was gonna be really bad, are now telling us that it's gonna be less so, that actions taken are working, and that as new data becomes available, it appears this is closer to a seasonal flu than thought. Are we not to believe them now?

Thread starter #6
TThe sudden overloading on the healthcare system that is happening right now is the real threat.
Yes, but from all available evidence, that's pretty isolated at this point. Albany GA, is an example. New Orleans is another. Hopefully, it remains that way.

4HAND

Really? I wouldn't trust the gov of NY or the mayor of NYC any further than I could throw either one of them. They get more airtime by making these wild claims.
I wasn't referring to NYC. I wouldn't trust DiBlasio any further than I could throw him.

But we're hearing similar stories about medical supplies out of Ga & South Fl.

MudDucker

Staff member
I wasn't referring to NYC. I wouldn't trust DiBlasio any further than I could throw him.

But we're hearing similar stories about medical supplies out of Ga & South Fl.

According to hospital sources, Albany and Atlanta and to some extent Rome are going through medical supplies at a very high rate. Other than that, most have adequate supplies unless this thing blows up.

Ehh...I think the numbers of people quarantined + hospitalized are about to escalate. Hoping the number requiring artificial ventilation stays stable...it’s pretty tight NOW. I think Covid-19...has been here since last Fall. I remember several “odd” cases of healthy,middle aged people dying of “The Flu”..or “Some respiratory illness” as far back as November. I guess it was like a little Forest Fire & just took a while to get going/spreading.?

According to hospital sources, Albany and Atlanta and to some extent Rome are going through medical supplies at a very high rate. Other than that, most have adequate supplies unless this thing blows up.
In places where it hasn't totally blown up, most hospitals have engaged volunteers to sew masks and isolation gowns. This helps increase supply reserves. This is a very critical time in these hospitals, and community support is key.

Albany exploded. Rather than an explosion, what most hospitals have is a rapidly growing fire, which though very bad, is much easier to contain than explosion.

I watched her video and will respectfully disagree.

Phoebe's ICU is full and has been full for several days. Other hospitals have loaned them ventilators and probably can't loan more. The national stockpile turns out to be a bad joke. To say that other areas of a state can send their equipment to other places is dicey. Hospitals will loan each other equipment as they can, but in a pandemic, where the disease will inevitably spread everywhere, hospitals have to be cautious about loaning equipment. Phoebe has had to transfer quite a few of its patients to other area hospitals.

In the event that a hospital has no more ventilators, and can't get any more, then what the doctor in the video says will not happen absolutely will happen.

I don't know how long this virus has been around. If it was around a few months ago, it wasn't filling up ER's and ICU's. It wasn't causing people to need to be on ventilator for a few weeks.

I would suggest you guys talk to more doctors and nurses in your local communities about what they are seeing, and less time listening to Trump, talking heads, and federal doctors.

The ICU's of all 4 ATL hospitals are full. :wink:
The ICU of Hamilton Medical Center is full too. Nurses across the country are posting tear filled videos of them saying their hospitals are out of vents and they have to decide who gets them and lives and who dies. People don't fully get this until they see it themselves.

The ICU of Hamilton Medical Center is full too. Nurses across the country are posting tear filled videos of them saying their hospitals are out of vents and they have to decide who gets them and lives and who dies. People don't fully get this until they see it themselves.
Agree

I would suggest people talk to more doctors and nurses in your communities about what they are seeing, and less time listening to Trump, talking heads, and federal doctors.

Agree

I would suggest people talk to more doctors and nurses in your communities about what they are seeing, and less time listening to Trump, talking heads, and federal doctors.[/QUOTE
so your saying the US government is doing basically the same thing as China and hiding the truth from the general public? I know your in the hospital working everyday and see way more than any of us can imagine but if that’s true and they are short on ventilators how can they go on tv and tell us that they have plenty? Seems like if the hospitals called in a news company like fox 5 investigators to come in and show the public proof of what’s really going on inside that they would have to come clean or fix the problem to avoid the storm of bad press that would follow

Doghunter11
Phoebe is out of ICU beds. Its a fact. They have expanded their ICU and still are. They have borrowed ventilators, and then had to transfer out patients when there were no more ICU beds and ventilators. Fortunately other hospitals have had capacity to absorb what Phoebe could not. If we get to a point that other hospitals have no more capacity, and sick people exceed capacity, decisions would have to be made.

She can say what she wants in the video. How she can say it, I am not sure.

I'm not trying to scare anybody. I am not exaggerating any of the above comments. I am not engaging in political commentary on the subject. Just passing on what I see. I think others in healthcare feel the same way. Ask them. If they disagree with what I am saying, let me know.

Turn off the news, and don't listen to political commentators. Both sides are politicizing this to the detriment of the American public. Ask real people working in healthcare in your community.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN MOD
Staff member
Just watched an article on ABC that included the Albany hospital. It gave insight to the critical level of PPE at the hospital. The nurse takes a mask out of a clear bag and puts it on before going into the patient room. Once done with the patient the mask goes back in the bag. Their not disposing of their N-95s after use, their reusing them. God bless and protect them.