Dress code at church?

Al33

Senior Member
It is sad to me when Christians make comments to one another such as: "get real", or illude to them being "prudes", "stumbling blocks" and "narrow minded" when they are merely trying to express in love and with respect why they feel or believe the way they do.

Lord help us all!::;
 
Billy you have got me now.
Maybe this doesn't answer your question but God gave adam dominion over animals and to me that means for food and other uses.
What I am refering to is any thing that would bring shame on Jesus would be the types of stumbling block I am talking about and there are going to be stumbling blocks to some people no matter how we try to live all we can do ids ask the lord for direction, I even considered quitting hunting for this reason but the lord has shown me that it is not a problem. Now take that for what its worth to you what I am saying is that all things are between you and God he is the one you have to answer to not me.
Sorry thats the best answer I have maybe someone else here can help with that.
 

SBG

Senior Member
leroy said:
Now we're getting somewhere so you think Jesus thinks less of someone in shorts in Church than someone dressed up be it a suit or whatever. Again get real and back that up with scripture! and yes I would take my hat off in Church just like I would take it off when I sit down for a meal or go inside to me thats proper etiquette. Again this shows me how much my Church means to me and how much I love it!
Unfortunately Leroy, this seems to be a touchy subject for you. You continue to read inference into posts that is simply not there, and you refuse to acknowledge parts of posts that seem to contradict your beliefs. I can't see where in any of my posts that I haven't treated everyone with respect...and if I haven't, I'll apologize. I never implied that Jesus thinks less of a person for wearing shorts to Church. The question was, "does Jesus care?" The answer is quite obviously, yes.

You want to build up a straw man argument about providing scriptural authority that specifically instructs about proper dress. Examples have been given, examples have obviously been ignored. I gave a reference for folks to read Revelation 5. I am curious how many took the time to read it? If you did read it, what does it mean to you in context of the thread?

Just for my own edification...and this is addressed to anyone. Why would you feel compelled to remove your hat at Church? At the table? Out of ettiquette? Isn't that what ettiquette is all about...vouluntary deference out of respect for another? Do you remove your hat when the national anthem is played? Why?

Another question that was asked is, what would you wear if you were invited to a meeting with the king, or in our case, the president? Would you go in shorts?
 
Dana Young said:
Now take that for what its worth to you what I am saying is that all things are between you and God he is the one you have to answer to not me.
Sorry thats the best answer I have maybe someone else here can help with that.
Dana - In all respect - And I do truly respect your opinions and honesty as I do all of the posts on this thread. But, the underlying theme and sense of this thread seems to be saying that it's really not between me and God, but, that I (and others) must comply with what a few have as their opinion on appropriate or inappropriate or else we are either wrong, unwelcome, immature, distractions, errant, or perhaps a combination of all these things. Just look back through the posts and see this attitude prevailing throughout... As one on the bubble in my faith-journey, how is this attitude in any way helping me grow closer to a Jesus that's being "dumb-downed" to personal opinion and cultural standards?
 

SBG

Senior Member
billyjames said:
So, I have been faced with many people (both believers and non-believers, both inside and outside the church as well) who are pretty adamant anti-hunters. They range from people who thinks is simply inappropriate to people who think it's a vile violation of humanity. Either way, my hunting (as much as it is a part of me, comforts me, and I enjoy) is definitely a stumbling block to many people. With your logic, I (we) should abandon our hunting for the sake of not becoming a stumbling block? If we are striving to show the world by modeling our behavior after Christ (as your posts suggest), I honestly can't say I've ever read where Jesus hunted down and killed anything in the scriptures. Should I quit hunting because, even though it's not a blatant sin, and, just because I can't reference where Jesus does it, it may offend someone?
I don't believe hunting will be a stumbling block to someone that is TRULY saved and is attentive to the unction of the Holy Spirit. There are no references to Jesus hunting for his food, but he definitely wasn't a vegetarian. He definitely condoned the eating of meat since he fed the multitude with fish.

Sorry.:offtopic:
 
SBG said:
I don't believe hunting will be a stumbling block to someone that is TRULY saved and is attentive to the unction of the Holy Spirit. There are no references to Jesus hunting for his food, but he definitely wasn't a vegetarian. He definitely condoned the eating of meat since he fed the multitude with fish.

Sorry.:offtopic:
And I don't believe wearing shorts to church will be a stumbling block to someone that is TRULY saved and is attentive to the unction of the Holy Spirit. But, alas, we come full circle and agree that it's really a matter of personal belief/opinion, and not as "spiritual" as we may paint it with our 'churchy" verbiage...
 

SBG

Senior Member
billyjames said:
And I don't believe wearing shorts to church will be a stumbling block to someone that is TRULY saved and is attentive to the unction of the Holy Spirit. But, alas, we come full circle and agree that it's really a matter of personal belief/opinion, and not as "spiritual" as we may paint it with our 'churchy" verbiage...
I agree. I can only speak for myself when I say that it wouldn't be a stumbling block for me as a Christian. I am more concerned what God thinks of a person. But, as others have commented, ultimately, it is between God and the believer.

With all due respect, where you are incorrect is that it is a "personal belief/opinion." It is entirely spiritual and that is why I said originally it is matter of spiritual maturity.

Some have been quick to paint the ones on here that believe that a person should reverence a thrice holy God by wearing their best when they come into His house as being judgmental. Aren't they being judgmental themselves?

I still have not seen anyone answer the question on what you would wear if you were invited to the Whitehouse for a meeting with the president. I know, the answer is obvious. Since the answer is obvious, why would you not afford the King of Kings the same deference?:huh:
 

leroy

Senior Member
SBG said:
Unfortunately Leroy, this seems to be a touchy subject for you. You continue to read inference into posts that is simply not there, and you refuse to acknowledge parts of posts that seem to contradict your beliefs. I can't see where in any of my posts that I haven't treated everyone with respect...and if I haven't, I'll apologize. I never implied that Jesus thinks less of a person for wearing shorts to Church. The question was, "does Jesus care?" The answer is quite obviously, yes.

You want to build up a straw man argument about providing scriptural authority that specifically instructs about proper dress. Examples have been given, examples have obviously been ignored. I gave a reference for folks to read Revelation 5. I am curious how many took the time to read it? If you did read it, what does it mean to you in context of the thread?

Just for my own edification...and this is addressed to anyone. Why would you feel compelled to remove your hat at Church? At the table? Out of ettiquette? Isn't that what ettiquette is all about...vouluntary deference out of respect for another? Do you remove your hat when the national anthem is played? Why?

Another question that was asked is, what would you wear if you were invited to a meeting with the king, or in our case, the president? Would you go in shorts?

What would make you think Jesus cares if you wear a nice pair of shorts vs slacks. In your post you said Rev. chapter 4 now its 5. I read 4 last night but could not see how it indicates any dress code. It is about praising and honoring God but no way indicates dressing a certain way to do it. So now its a person who wears shorts to Church is not as mature in their faith as someone who has a suit on how can you prove that, its simple you can't. This is a personal opinion that you are trying to spin into a biblical or spiritual one and it just does not fly. And with that I'm done with this one!
 
SBG said:
I agree. I can only speak for myself when I say that it wouldn't be a stumbling block for me as a Christian. I am more concerned what God thinks of a person. But, as others have commented, ultimately, it is between God and the believer.

With all due respect, where you are incorrect is that it is a "personal belief/opinion." It is entirely spiritual and that is why I said originally it is matter of spiritual maturity.

Some have been quick to paint the ones on here that believe that a person should reverence a thrice holy God by wearing their best when they come into His house as being judgmental. Aren't they being judgmental themselves?

I still have not seen anyone answer the question on what you would wear if you were invited to the Whitehouse for a meeting with the president. I know, the answer is obvious. Since the answer is obvious, why would you not afford the King of Kings the same deference?:huh:
Perhaps, because our Risen Lord is not an earthly king or ruler, and I think Jesus said he came to free the oppressed, ransom the sinner, and not to critique the wardrobe of those seeking him. An earthly ruler demands us bow before him, and, it would actually be our culture that pressured us to wear a suit if we were invited to the White House. I do not think I have to “perform” in order for Jesus to love me and have a saving relationship with me. I don’t think he’s too much into our wardrobe as much as he is into our heart. The way I live my life; the way I love; the way I worship is not something to be dictated by man, culture, nor personal opinion. Rather, it is truly between God and me, and I don’t think for a second it makes me any less “mature” than you or anyone else if I were to choose to wear shorts into a church worship service. I’ll ask you again, What does our Lord Jesus actually have to say about the matter? (Not you; not your further opinions (I’ve heard them time and time again through this thread). What does Jesus actually have to say to this poor, depraved, immature sinner who would even think about entertaining the idea that it’s alright to wear shorts into church?
 

PWalls

Senior Member
leroy said:
This is a personal opinion that you are trying to spin into a biblical or spiritual one and it just does not fly. And with that I'm done with this one!
I have yet to see where anyone addresses the questions asked about respect?

We have respect for a court of law, for presidents, for other people's homes, for dignitaries, for weddings, for funerals, etc. We respect them by wearing a suitable attire for that occasion.

Those are all man-made occasions. We dress accordingly.

Now we have people on here getting defensive when they are asked why they don't show the same respect to the Lord in His house? What's the problem?

Do you guys who advocate shorts as OK in church turn around and wear them 24/7 to every other occasion you go to? Do you have nothing else but shorts in your wardrobe?If so, then I can't say that there is an argument anymore. However, if there are occasions where you wear slacks/shirts or suits to a man-made secular event and then you turn around and wear shorts to church, then it looks to me like there is a different level of respect.
 

PWalls

Senior Member
billyjames said:
I’ll ask you again, What does our Lord Jesus actually have to say about the matter? (Not you; not your further opinions (I’ve heard them time and time again through this thread). What does Jesus actually have to say to this poor, depraved, immature sinner who would even think about entertaining the idea that it’s alright to wear shorts into church?
You know as well as I do that Jesus has said nothing about shorts because they weren't around then. Kinda of a circular argument that you have there. Jesus also didn't mention hats in Church, but most people take them off.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

SBG

Senior Member
leroy said:
What would make you think Jesus cares if you wear a nice pair of shorts vs slacks. In your post you said Rev. chapter 4 now its 5. I read 4 last night but could not see how it indicates any dress code. It is about praising and honoring God but no way indicates dressing a certain way to do it. So now its a person who wears shorts to Church is not as mature in their faith as someone who has a suit on how can you prove that, its simple you can't. This is a personal opinion that you are trying to spin into a biblical or spiritual one and it just does not fly. And with that I'm done with this one!
You are right, I said chapter 4. However, both were appropriate for the thread. The point of both was to try and see if one might get a picture of just how truly holy God is.

It is completely about spiritual maturity. There are those that want to wear what is comfortable to them and don't want to be bothered by hundreds of years of tradition...a tradition, by the way, that was established because people had a great reverence for God, and believe that he deserves better than what we wear everyday to the golf course of to the mall. A tradition that is founded in a desire to show that our time of worship is different than all of our other times. A tradition that we consider God's house to be sacred and that there ought to be a distiction between that an other places we go.

God bless.
 

SBG

Senior Member
Woodswalker said:
Yeah, its secular.

how do we divorce ourselves from the secular, or do we?? ::ke:
That is a very, very good question!:)

The answer is not to divorce ourselves from the secular, but to separate ourselve from the secular.
 
PWalls said:
I have yet to see where anyone addresses the questions asked about respect?

We have respect for a court of law, for presidents, for other people's homes, for dignitaries, for weddings, for funerals, etc. We respect them by wearing a suitable attire for that occasion.

Those are all man-made occasions. We dress accordingly.

Now we have people on here getting defensive when they are asked why they don't show the same respect to the Lord in His house? What's the problem?

Do you guys who advocate shorts as OK in church turn around and wear them 24/7 to every other occasion you go to? Do you have nothing else but shorts in your wardrobe?If so, then I can't say that there is an argument anymore. However, if there are occasions where you wear slacks/shirts or suits to a man-made secular event and then you turn around and wear shorts to church, then it looks to me like there is a different level of respect.
Excellent post sir! The truth, and an actual discussion not guised in "religiosity". Thank you... As for the post. For me shorts are more casual, real, honest apparel. Anytime I dress in slacks, suit or tie, it's really not "who I am". I hate those clothes (And they really are symbols of status created by man anyway). When I wear something more "dressy" to church, it's so out of context with who I really am, I feel, fake, hypocritical... But, when I wear to church what I wear the other 6 days of the week I simply feel as if I'm going into God's presence open, vulnerable, real... So, to me, it just more respectful to go before the one who was willing to hang mostly naked on that cross for my sin, as one who is also naked (metaphorically speaking, or that would be a whole other thread ;) ) -- To not be pressured by man's , society's, culture's rules of proper etiquette and attire, I feel more alive and in his presence than any other time. I suppose that's why I don't feel comfortable in a lot of churches that think you're supposed to dress differently for that one hour on Sunday mornings than any other time -- I'm a seeker of the Lord, not a keeper of man's laws. I recall the woman in the Bible who has the issue of bleeding - She came through the crown just as she was (as filthy as that was perceived in her culture), yet, Jesus felt her touch and brought her wholeness in life. Some of the "Get all dressed up" before you go to church just says to me, Get your act all cleaned up. Get it all together. In essence, save yourself, and then, then come before the Master. I've tried that, and it just hasn't worked. it's only when I honestly go before him dressed in my filthy rags that I can really see the loving, open, inviting and accepting Savior that he really is. And that, that is more important to me and my soul than pleasing anybody on the face of this little globe we call earth...
 

PWalls

Senior Member
billyjames said:
Excellent post sir! The truth, and an actual discussion not guised in "religiosity". Thank you... As for the post. For me shorts are more casual, real, honest apparel. Anytime I dress in slacks, suit or tie, it's really not "who I am". I hate those clothes (And they really are symbols of status created by man anyway). When I wear something more "dressy" to church, it's so out of context with who I really am, I feel, fake, hypocritical... But, when I wear to church what I wear the other 6 days of the week I simply feel as if I'm going into God's presence open, vulnerable, real... So, to me, it just more respectful to go before the one who was willing to hang mostly naked on that cross for my sin, as one who is also naked (metaphorically speaking, or that would be a whole other thread ;) ) -- To not be pressured by man's , society's, culture's rules of proper etiquette and attire, I feel more alive and in his presence than any other time. I suppose that's why I don't feel comfortable in a lot of churches that think you're supposed to dress differently for that one hour on Sunday mornings than any other time -- I'm a seeker of the Lord, not a keeper of man's laws. I recall the woman in the Bible who has the issue of bleeding - She came through the crown just as she was (as filthy as that was perceived in her culture), yet, Jesus felt her touch and brought her wholeness in life. Some of the "Get all dressed up" before you go to church just says to me, Get your act all cleaned up. Get it all together. In essence, save yourself, and then, then come before the Master. I've tried that, and it just hasn't worked. it's only when I honestly go before him dressed in my filthy rags that I can really see the loving, open, inviting and accepting Savior that he really is. And that, that is more important to me and my soul than pleasing anybody on the face of this little globe we call earth...

I understand your logic.

Now here's mine.

I dress up on Sunday morning, not for anyone else, but for me. I wear blue jeans and shorts and slacks during the week to various functions. However, on Sunday morning, my entire attitude is for the worship service I am about to have in the Lord's house. It is a sign of respect for me to put on that tight suit and to wear nice clothes. The Lord granted me a lifestyle that allows me to afford a suit, so out of respect, I am going to wear one for Him on that day. Does that suit change the quality of my worship, No, not in the least. Would I still worship the Lord in shorts, or blue jeans, or a speedo? Definately yes.

There is nothing biblically relevant about shorts or no shorts. It is a matter of respect to the Lord on the day that He set aside for worship.

I will say this though. Without some sort of controlled clothing restrictions, you open the door for more liberal dress. Even now we have women that wear short skirts and revealing tops. And, I can understand why if they see a man forgoing slacks for shorts. I mean, if the man can be comfortable and showing skin, why can't woman.
 
Billy
Irespect your beliefs and opinions also but you have said you were on the bubble I take that to mean you are not totally giving yourself over to the lord( I'm not saying you are not saved or anything like that, Your salvation is between you and God. Not you and everyone else). This may be because you don't fully understand the relationship that is required for you to recieve all the blessings of God, I don't Know. But I don't think you or any one else on here wants to cause anyone not to accept Jesus because of anything they have said or done. No wearing shorts to church is not going to cause you not to be saved or cause you to lose your salvation what it might cause is someone to not accept the lord. You may ask how I don't Know but do you or anyone else want to take that chance. While wearing shorts may be the least of our worries it is still a concern thats all I am saying please don't let this ruin your walk with christ if you don't have a conviction against shorts then don't let that be what keeps you from attending some of the churches that people like my self attend go and maybe your questions will be answered either by the spirit or the preaching.
For anyone else on this thread that disagrees about the dress requirements then pray and ask Jesus to help you with it whether for or against it take his word for it and remember everything in Gods word is not black and white. Irecall a time when the deciples tried to cast out a spirit and it wouldn't leave They asked Jesus about it and he told them that this kind would only be cast out with prayer and fasting. It's the same thing here maybe the only way you can find out the answer is through prayer ans fasting.
I hope I have at least made some of you study and pray about this and other things, Ihave put in a lot of time on this and thats about all I can say on it at this point.
May God bless each of you.
Dana

P.S.
The bible says that every tongue should confess and worship Jesus now but in time everyone will confess and worship him. please do so while you have a choice.
 
PWalls said:
I understand your logic.

Now here's mine.

I dress up on Sunday morning, not for anyone else, but for me. I wear blue jeans and shorts and slacks during the week to various functions. However, on Sunday morning, my entire attitude is for the worship service I am about to have in the Lord's house. It is a sign of respect for me to put on that tight suit and to wear nice clothes. The Lord granted me a lifestyle that allows me to afford a suit, so out of respect, I am going to wear one for Him on that day. Does that suit change the quality of my worship, No, not in the least. Would I still worship the Lord in shorts, or blue jeans, or a speedo? Definately yes.

There is nothing biblically relevant about shorts or no shorts. It is a matter of respect to the Lord on the day that He set aside for worship.

I will say this though. Without some sort of controlled clothing restrictions, you open the door for more liberal dress. Even now we have women that wear short skirts and revealing tops. And, I can understand why if they see a man forgoing slacks for shorts. I mean, if the man can be comfortable and showing skin, why can't woman.
Again, thank you sir, for another fine post. You seem secure in who you are, and genuine in your expressions of that. In fact, you are an inspiration to me in this stage of my journey. I would think you and I could stand/kneel side-by-side in worship before our Lord with neither being hindered by what the other was wearing. I think that is indeed more like heaven than some of the portrayals I have heard and seen from professing Christians and individual churches over the years. Thank you, sir, for loving me enough to accept me where I am in my journey without having to tout yourself as superior to me because you may be further along. Thanks you, and the many in this world like you who give fellow sojourners a helping hand up instead of a judgmental slap in the face... You, sir, surely represent the Church of our Lord Jesus Christ :clap: ::;
 

SBG

Senior Member
Woodswalker said:
All of this discussion, in detail, relates to Law and what is appropriate.

how do ever face the greater challenge of re-conjoining the Christians and Hebrews into one palpable religion/force/worship??

i don't know, do you? :offtopic:
Boy Woodswalker! You sure ask some great questions...they would make some great threads.

But to answer your question, the "re-conjoining" took place at calvary when Jesus cried "it is finished"
 

SBG

Senior Member
Woodswalker said:
are we in 100% consensus on this one, or is there more "work" that needs to be done??

just asking. ::ke:

as an aside, if we ever do get to the point of asking good questions, maybe later we can focus on good answers?

thanks for your comments. only time will tell, in all likelihood. ?
100%::ke: :rofl:

Just kidding Woods. I don't think we will ever get 100%

It is refreshing that someone will ask questions with no apparent agenda or position. Just someone seeking knowledge. Thanks Woods.
 
Top