Dress code at church?

GeauxLSU

Thought this was interesting.

http://www.baptistpillar.com/bd0049.htm

Dress Codes For The Church
This subject always stirs up some preachers and you begin hearing that you are a legalist, etc. especially from preachers whose wife "wears the pants" in the family -- and also at other times doesn't wear much of anything at the church swim-ins.

Several years ago Mary and I were in New York state in meetings. At a campground where we were staying between meetings I picked up a folder advertising the horse racetrack not far down the road.

I was interested in the fact that in order to eat in the Clubhouse overlooking the racetrack you had to dress a certain way. In other words, they had dress standards.

Men had to have on a coat -- or jacket and a shirt and tie. No jeans, shorts, etc. The ladies were re quired to wear a dress or skirt and blouse. At the bottom of the folder it stated that you would not be allowed into the Clubhouse for dining unless you were dressed properly.

I could not help but think of how sloppy many of God's people dress for the church services. I am not talking about sinners coming to church. I am talking about those who claim to be saved who show up dressed like the world.

They come poured into a pair of pants or a short skirt or a dress that they have to keep pulling down. Or a low cut dress or blouse that reveals part of their breast. We should strive to be an example to the lost world.

Recently while in Albuquerque, New Mexico having my truck serviced, Mary and I went across the street to a little coffee shop. I picked up an advertisement for a place called Club Obsession.

The advertisement said, "Albuquerque's newest and most glamorous nightclub. Featuring the hottest DJ's in the nation. Turning out the hottest R&B, pop, reggae, hip hop dance music ever."

Sound like a fun place? In large 12 point bold type along one side of the folder were these words: "Dress to impress - no denim tops or bottoms, no T-shirts or jerseys, no flannel shirts, no baseball caps, no combat/hiking boots, no tennis shoes."

Just below that, in large type, were these words: "No exceptions." I could not help but think that some Baptists I know would not be able to meet the dress code of this nightclub.

I am sorry to say I see men and women in many churches that would not be able to get into this night club. I see them participating in the services and taking up the offering, etc.

Folks, we are in a mess in our churches and so many preachers do not have the backbone to preach separation. We need to get back to the Bible, but it will never happen with the sissies coming out of most of the Bible schools.

What a tragedy that horse racetracks and nightclubs have better dress standards than many so-called Bible-believing Baptist churches. Your welcome!---The Flaming Torch

GeauxLSU

creekrunner said:
I got it from the Gospel of Mama
Amen to that! And the (very few) times I didn't listen to that gospel, the Gospel of Daddy was right behind it with a significant persuasion to make sure it sunk in! :love:

SBG

leroy said:
But where does the word say it is wrong to wear jeans or shorts?

Where does the word say to take your hat off when you enter the Church?

leroy

so if one of your members came in to Church several times with jeans or shorts on your Deacons or Pastor would call them on it?

SBG

leroy said:
It dosent, but I never said it did.

I realize that. I said that to make a point. You asked for scripture that says that you can't wear shorts to Church. Obviously, there is no verse that says not to wear shorts. There also is no verse that says to take your hat off in Church. I am curious why you would take off your hat.

SBG

leroy said:
so if one of your members came in to Church several times with jeans or shorts on your Deacons or Pastor would call them on it?

Can you quantify several?:D

I would say that probably after a couple of times that one of the deacons or pastor would say something to a man. If it was a lady, I would imagine that the Pastor would ask his wife or one of the older ladies of the Church to talk to them. If they felt uncomfortable, then I have no doubt the Pastor would do his responsibility.

That is why it is so important for a Church to have a dress code.

leroy

SBG said:
Can you quantify several?:D

I would say that probably after a couple of times that one of the deacons or pastor would say something to a man. If it was a lady, I would imagine that the Pastor would ask his wife or one of the older ladies of the Church to talk to them. If they felt uncomfortable, then I have no doubt the Pastor would do his responsibility.

That is why it is so important for a Church to have a dress code.

Sorry but I could not take a chance on turning a person away by chastising them for wearing jeans or shorts and I dont think Jesus would either. As I said there could be extreme situations but I have never seen anyone go that far. What about Deacon meetings and such we have ours during the week do you dress up or wear jeans.

Torupduck

Banned
I can see saying something about intentionally distracting clothing such as tee's with vulgar or crude sayings but not about jean shorts

leroy

toridak said:
I can see saying something about intentionally distracting clothing such as tee's with vulgar or crude sayings but not about jean shorts

Exactly or short shorts, tank tops etc. or something overly revealing.

Torupduck

Banned
leroy said:
Exactly or short shorts, tank tops etc. or something overly revealing.
Yes all of that I would dispute also. Always seems to be at least one not happy with you no matter what though.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
leroy said:
I'm still waiting on scriptures that back up a dress code in Church.

Granted it's not quite what you asked for but John 21:7 clearly shows that Peter was concerned about his appearance when he realized that he was in the presence of the LORD.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
If the local church doesn't approve of it I would not dishonor the ministry efforts of that church by causing confusion in wearing shorts to that particular church -- But, in the big scheme of things, I doubt very seriously that Jesus really cares one way or the other - I don't think he died on that cross to condemn people for wearing shorts to church:rolleyes: We've got a couple of thousand folkswho call us home, and any given weekend we see many people wearing shorts in our services -- I'd imagine of those couple of thousand folks who call us their church, we've probably baptized a third of them and heard them publiclly profess Jesus as Savior - We've seen their lives radically transformed forever-for-the-better in a personal relationship with Jesus, and I delight in watching them radically follow his ways for their lives... I guess with all that transformation, there's just not much time left to worry about what they are wearing to church...

SBG

HuntinTom said:
If the local church doesn't approve of it I would not dishonor the ministry efforts of that church by causing confusion in wearing shorts to that particular church -- But, in the big scheme of things, I doubt very seriously that Jesus really cares one way or the other - I don't think he died on that cross to condemn people for wearing shorts to church:rolleyes: We've got a couple of thousand folkswho call us home, and any given weekend we see many people wearing shorts in our services -- I'd imagine of those couple of thousand folks who call us their church, we've probably baptized a third of them and heard them publiclly profess Jesus as Savior - We've seen their lives radically transformed forever-for-the-better in a personal relationship with Jesus, and I delight in watching them radically follow his ways for their lives... I guess with all that transformation, there's just not much time left to worry about what they are wearing to church...

Brother Tom,

Do y'all have ushers that collect tithes and offerings? What do they wear? What if they started showing up for Church in shorts and a tank top to do their jobs? How about your Sunday School teachers? What would you as Pastor say if one of your teen teachers showed up every week in some goth look?

SBG

toridak said:

Why? Some person might not mean nothing by it when they wear an offensive t-shirt. Maybe it ain't offensive to them...heck, you see those shirts everywhere. Who are you to judge someone and tell them that they can't wear those types of shirts to the house of the Lord?::ke:

Where do we draw the line?

GeauxLSU

I honestly can not believe people do not acknowledge the sliding scale. Sugar coat it if you want. It is what it is.
Yesterday jeans.
Today shorts.
Tomorrow, doo rags, bathing suits, smoking, chewing gum and walkmen. I mean, at least they are there right?

leroy

Flash said:
Granted it's not quite what you asked for but John 21:7 clearly shows that Peter was concerned about his appearance when he realized that he was in the presence of the LORD.

And should have because he was naked. Big difference in that and shorts or jeans :bounce: . We could debate this forever it all comes down to MANS opinion and rules not Gods. If your Church wants a dress code and everyone is happy with it good. If your Church does not and everyone is happy that is good to. I don't think your dress (within reason) makes you any more or less of a Christian.