Dress code at church?

GeauxLSU

leroy said:
I don't think your dress (within reason) makes you any more or less of a Christian.
And those 2 words in your parenthesis are the problem aren't they? You, MAN, are defining what 'reasonable' is. We all define it differently, and with each passing day, year, generation, that definition is getting more liberal. One day, a worship service won't look anything like what it used to. Already doesn't it many many places. But it's all in the name of packing the house and the collection plate. :fine: As long as it says 'church' somewhere on the front, then if people are in there, regardless of what they are doing and what they are wearing, then it MUST be better than them not being there right? I mean it's a CHRUCH so that's better...... right?

Double Barrel BB

GeauxLSU said:
And those 2 words in your parenthesis are the problem aren't they? You, MAN, are defining what 'reasonable' is. We all define it differently, and with each passing day, year, generation, that definition is getting more liberal. One day, a worship service won't look anything like what it used to. Already doesn't it many many places. But it's all in the name of the packing the house and the collection plate. :fine: As long as it says 'church' somewhere on the front, then if people are in there, regardless of what they are doing and what they are wearing, then it MUST be better than them not being there right? I mean it's a CHRUCH so that's better...... right?

AMEN!!!

DB BB

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Give yall something to think about, there was a young lady one time came to revival where I was helping, she went up to the mourners bench(altar) and began to pray, nothing here odd is there? Well here is the twist, she had on a skirt that covered nothing but the bare essntials when she was standing up, when she nelt down I could not look(her blouse was also very low cut) for fear of being called a pervert, i could not work with her nor do anything to look even remotly toward her while she was in the altar praying, also the ladies of the church struggled to keep her covered with a jacket. This also hindered her from finding the Lord that night. She did not make it, fortunatly she came back the next night and was dressed apropriately for the house of God. There was no dress code for that particular church, but the ladies took her aside and explained to her, IN LOVE, what was appropriate and encouraged her to come back the neaxt night, well without having to worry about what she had on she came back to the altar and was saved. So you tell me did that hinder Gods work from being done? Also you see her now and she dresses as any young respectable young lady should.

Dana Young

According to Branches experience this young Lady was hindered by her own dress I wonder how many others were hindered in their worship that night? It sounds like the Ladies of that church handled the situation very well in accordance with the love of Jesus. Thats the way it should be handled and most likely is. You see we are not tring to turn people away from the house of the lord it is our job as christians and ministers to teach people in the love of Christ the err of their ways. NOTICE I said teach not judge and thats all anyone on here is tring to say about dressing respectfully, whether it be man or woman boy or girl. If we as a church don't live respectfully toward Christ how can we expect the world to. The bible says we are a pecular people meaning different from the world and if you compromise in any way with the world to get your church numbers up or for anyother reasons then you have became the world because the world will do anything to get their numbers up.
Dana

leroy

Maby I should have said (common Sense) I think all of us would agree that a bikini, no shirt, bra and panties is extreme and would not be tolerated and all of these are far from jeans. And branch I could not see anyone thinking of you as a pervert for praying and leading someone to the Lord no matter what they had on. I would hate to know I told her to come back the next night to be saved. What about those years ago that you talk about I have seen pictures of men in overalls in Church pictures? were they less of a Christian

1Rem700

All of you should be ashamed

I just read through all 9 pages and all of you are so worried about what everyone is wearing and having dress codes in church, that you have lost sight of what is important in God's eyes.:banginghe

GAGE said:
My church attire is either Mossy Oak camo or Columbia performance fishing gear...I was raised Catholic and IMO it is what is in your heart not on your person and my Church is the great outdoors enjoying what he created!:cheers:

GAGE put in this reply on page 2, and no one has tried to tell him the truth.

GAGE...The Bible says where 2 or more are gathered He will be there (I don't have my Bible with me and I don't know the scripture reference). There is nothing wrong with being outdoors enjoying God's work, and you can worship Him anywhere. But, the question is...Do you worship Him when you are sitting in the woods? Do you read your Bible and study His Word while your sitting there waiting on a deer to walk by? No, everyone in church is not perfect...in fact NO ONE in church is perfect. It is just somewhere to meet to learn more about Jesus and to study his Word, and to fellowship with other people just like you.

Another thing. God's house is not the building everyone calls a church. It is in all of the people who have accepted Him as there personal savior. Read Romans 12:1-2. That is God's church.::;

Double Barrel BB

Your outward appearence is the first testimony anyone sees, even before you open your mouth, in church and out of church.

A line has to be drawn.

This decade it might be shorts and t-shirts, next decade the shorts get alittle shorter and the t-shirts get alittle smaller. Then the next decade it maybe daisy dukes and tanktops. Then the next decade it maybe bikini swimsuit and speedo's. The point is that if God's people let's the world define how people dress it is only going to get worse. Speaking of the Jeans today that most girls wear, they barely cover up the neccessities and then when they sit down they don't. It is rediculous, if ladies would have dressed like that back in the 50's and 60's they would have been considered "ladies of the night".... The world should not dictate what we wear to church. As was said above we are a "pecular people" we are to be seperate.

If you are dressing this way to be comfortable in church, maybe the question is should anyone ever feel comfortable in church when the Truth is being taught?

DB BB

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
SBG said:
Brother Tom,

Do y'all have ushers that collect tithes and offerings? What do they wear? What if they started showing up for Church in shorts and a tank top to do their jobs? How about your Sunday School teachers? What would you as Pastor say if one of your teen teachers showed up every week in some goth look?
We do have hosts who receive people's tithes and offerings among other duties such as making sure every person feels welcomed, knows where to go and how to get to different places in the facility, and to help people find a seat etc... - Yes, some of them (hosts)wear shorts -We don't have Sunday School - We meet during the week in small groups in people's homes - Our students also meet in small groups during the week with trained adult leaders - I don't know of any of our adult leaders who show up in the goth look. I don't think that will ever be a problem though - We tend to focus on the heart not the wardrobe -- I think what this thread is really debating is more social mores' than theology - Many of you seem to be heavily influenced by the puritan ethic (And, that's fine and dandy, but it's more of a social/cultural issue than one of theology...). I look at the book of Acts when the Church was born at Pentecost and see Peter preaching for people to repent and be baptized -- He's really not concerned with what they are wearing that day, but more passionately in-tuned with the condition of their heart. With all that said, I would never dishonor any of your traditions and church culture by wearing (or suggesting anyone else wear) shorts into your church building/service -- But, I think it's a far, far stretch of translating and interpreting the Gospel of Jesus Christ to judge other bodies that do allow shorts as a part of their social/cultural mores...

GeauxLSU

1Rem700 said:
I just read through all 9 pages and all of you are so worried about what everyone is wearing and having dress codes in church, that you have lost sight of what is important in God's eyes.:banginghe

GAGE put in this reply on page 2, and no one has tried to tell him the truth.

GAGE...The Bible says where 2 or more are gathered He will be there (I don't have my Bible with me and I don't know the scripture reference). There is nothing wrong with being outdoors enjoying God's work, and you can worship Him anywhere. But, the question is...Do you worship Him when you are sitting in the woods? Do you read your Bible and study His Word while your sitting there waiting on a deer to walk by? No, everyone in church is not perfect...in fact NO ONE in church is perfect. It is just somewhere to meet to learn more about Jesus and to study his Word, and to fellowship with other people just like you.

Another thing. God's house is not the building everyone calls a church. It is in all of the people who have accepted Him as there personal savior. Read Romans 12:1-2. That is God's church.::;
Rem,
Welcome aboard! I can only answer for myself. I did not respond to Gage directly because the "should you attend church?" discussion has been discussed many times here and he's been around long enough to have read many versions of it I'm sure. His post was not related to this thread so it was rightfully ignored (IMHO of course). At least, I don't think anyone is discussing what you should wear in the woods if you're hunting on Sunday. ;)
This is a great place and everyone's input is welcomed. Just didn't want you as a newcomer, to assume we were overlooking a member's question without providing a response. It's just been given many many times before. (And a new thread on that same topic will surface again, I guarantee it, just like this one has been discussed before)
Again, welcome aboard! :clap:

Branchminnow

leroy said:
Maby I should have said (common Sense) I think all of us would agree that a bikini, no shirt, bra and panties is extreme and would not be tolerated and all of these are far from jeans. And branch I could not see anyone thinking of you as a pervert for praying and leading someone to the Lord no matter what they had on. I would hate to know I told her to come back the next night to be saved. What about those years ago that you talk about I have seen pictures of men in overalls in Church pictures? were they less of a Christian
Years ago? Brother we still have preachers that wear overalls to church, but it was because that was all most of em could afford.
If you will read the post I said SHE did not make it that night I told her nothing, neither did anyone else other than it would be easier on her if she would come back with more clothes on. In other words she would not have to worry about keeping herself covered she could worry about what was important , finding the lord. My whole point was Satan will use whatever he can to stand in the way of someone getting what they need!

Branchminnow

Dale what was it you mentioned to me the other night on the phone? Something about casting your pearls among the swine?

1Rem700

Thanks for the welcome GeauxLSU. I understand now. I haven't read all the old threads. Just got caught up in this one.:D

GeauxLSU

1Rem700 said:
Thanks for the welcome GeauxLSU. I understand now. I haven't read all the old threads. Just got caught up in this one.:D
No prob. Hang around, we'll cover everything you think worth discussing and many things you know are not, many times. :)
After re-reading my post, it sounds like an indictment on Gage. It is NOT. He's a good guy (sorry Gage if it came across wrong). My only point was simply to let you, as a new member, know he wasn't being ignored because people were "distracted". A recurring theme here is for us to TRY and stay on thread topic (we constantly fail miserably, myself at the front of the line). I think that's the only reason his post wasn't discussed in any detail since this is about what to wear IN church not wheter to attend or not. That's all... :eek:

Now, y'all go iron your slacks for church!!! :whip: :D

Branchminnow

GeauxLSU said:
Now, y'all go iron your slacks for church!!! :whip: :D
Or in your case the dress:bounce:

SBG

HuntinTom said:
I look at the book of Acts when the Church was born at Pentecost and see Peter preaching for people to repent and be baptized -- He's really not concerned with what they are wearing that day, but more passionately in-tuned with the condition of their heart.

Yes. But he was preaching to those that were lost. Those folks had not yet been transformed by the miraculous touch of Christ. When they were saved, they became NEW creatures. I'm sure that they shed a lot of their "old baggage" that day. I would be willing to make a bet, if I was a betting man, that those that were saved that day, came a way with a different appreciation for the man that had died for them on the cross.

That is not to imply that someone that wears shorts to Church does not appreciate what Christ has done for them.

leroy

Branchminnow said:
Years ago? Brother we still have preachers that wear overalls to church, but it was because that was all most of em could afford.
If you will read the post I said SHE did not make it that night I told her nothing, neither did anyone else other than it would be easier on her if she would come back with more clothes on. In other words she would not have to worry about keeping herself covered she could worry about what was important , finding the lord. My whole point was Satan will use whatever he can to stand in the way of someone getting what they need!

A pair of overalls these days cost as much as a pair of slacks. What if she was ready to make a decision that night, you said she was at the altar, did anyone ask her. Or were people more concerned with her dress than her heart.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
SBG said:
Yes. But he was preaching to those that were lost. Those folks had not yet been transformed by the miraculous touch of Christ. When they were saved, they became NEW creatures. I'm sure that they shed a lot of their "old baggage" that day. I would be willing to make a bet, if I was a betting man, that those that were saved that day, came a way with a different appreciation for the man that had died for them on the cross.

That is not to imply that someone that wears shorts to Church does not appreciate what Christ has done for them.
But it, and the majority of the posts in this thread do seem to be implying that wearing shorts to church is somehow "less-than" or "sub-Christian" to those who don't care for it -- These are man-made rules your guys are arguing - Simply trying to enforce your social/cultural mores' onto others -- There is no one here who can give sound, Biblical, translation to justify the "not wearing of shorts to church" argument. It's simply scripture out of context and interpreted in the light of very narrow social/cultural mores'. As I've said, I will never dishonor any of your churches by wearing (or advocating anyone else wear) shorts into your buildings or services -- But the underlying theme of this thread seems to be judging others in different church-cultures based on your own social culture...

leroy

HuntinTom said:
But it, and the majority of the posts in this thread do seem to be implying that wearing shorts to church is somehow "less-than" or "sub-Christian" to those who don't care for it -- These are man-made rules your guys are arguing - Simply trying to enforce your social/cultural mores' onto others -- There is no one here who can give sound, Biblical, translation to justify the "not wearing of shorts to church" argument. It's simply scripture out of context and interpreted in the light of very narrow social/cultural mores'. As I've said, I will never dishonor any of your churches by wearing (or advocating anyone else wear) shorts into your buildings or services -- But the underlying theme of this thread seems to be judging others in different church-cultures based on your own social culture...

Thank you Tom well said:clap: :clap:

SBG

HuntinTom said:
There is no one here who can give sound, Biblical, translation to justify the "not wearing of shorts to church" argument. It's simply scripture out of context and interpreted in the light of very narrow social/cultural mores'.

I agree. As has been stated more than once in this thread, there is not any scripture that says not to come to Church in a bikini either. In a few years a bikini or thong bathing suits may become ordinary attire for folks. Cultural standards may change where the wearing of bikinis or thong bathing suits is okay in the work place, or at the market, or in a restaurant etc. Using you reasoning, I suppose that we should then accept it at the house of God? I realize that this is a stretch...just trying to make a point that I don't know why needs to be made.