Dress code at church?

leroy

SBG said:
I agree. As has been stated more than once in this thread, there is not any scripture that says not to come to Church in a bikini either. In a few years a bikini or thong bathing suits may become ordinary attire for folks. Cultural standards may change where the wearing of bikinis or thong bathing suits is okay in the work place, or at the market, or in a restaurant etc. Using you reasoning, I suppose that we should then accept it at the house of God? I realize that this is a stretch...just trying to make a point that I don't know why needs to be made.

Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
leroy said:
And should have because he was naked.

Agree. He was naked in front of the others (christians) and it didn't seem to bother him but when he realized that the LORD was there he became concerned with his lack of clothing.

No matter what we wear, we should dress to honor GOD not wear something because we can.

PWalls

leroy said:
Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Or, we can head the river/road off so we don't ever actually get there.

In my opinion, it still comes down to respect. I wear a suit and tie for a job interview. I wear a suit and tie out of respect when I go to a wedding or funeral. When I take my wife on a date, I wear slacks and a nice shirt. When I am outside working in the yard and sweating, I'll wear shorts or blue jeans.

Why would I not at least wear something comparable when I enter God's house for weekly worship out of respect for Him and what He has done for me.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
SBG said:
I agree. As has been stated more than once in this thread, there is not any scripture that says not to come to Church in a bikini either. In a few years a bikini or thong bathing suits may become ordinary attire for folks. Cultural standards may change where the wearing of bikinis or thong bathing suits is okay in the work place, or at the market, or in a restaurant etc. Using you reasoning, I suppose that we should then accept it at the house of God? I realize that this is a stretch...just trying to make a point that I don't know why needs to be made.
I think the point that has been made is that you, and several others on this thread, are responding from YOUR social/cultural dress-code, and shudder to think about someone wearing shorts into YOUR church setting - And, as Ive said, that's just fine and dandy -- But, it in no way represents the populous of a world and a vast array of cultural dress acceptance and practices -- I once preached in a church in Mexico where the young mothers openly nursed their babies during worship - It was a distraction to me, and certainly not something that would have ever been readily accepted in the cultural world I came from. But, it was THEIR culture I remained sensitive to, and I did not try to enforce my cultural experiences onto them (because my cultural compass did not have women bearing their breasts for everyone to see - Even where I am now, we have a special room for nursing mothers to insure no one else be distracted by boobs flashing all over the worship center). So, I'm not saying your dress code is a bad thing, nor, wrong, (Every church culture has them). But, at the same time, just because that's YOUR social line of acceptance does not mean that mine, nor the people of Mexico, nor an indigenous tribe in New Guinna who wear nothing but a loin cloth to worship the Lord Jesus should be judged as wrong wither... - I doubt very seriously that just because we allow and readily accept someone wearing shorts in OUR cultural/social setting will ever bring one into your worship service wearing a thong... I think you have social rules firmly in place that will guard you from that for many, many years, if not generations to come...

Dana Young

I don't think that anyone is judging anyone as a matter of fact the only ones that are even getting anywhere toward judging are the ones that don't believe they should dress for worship services. they are saying those of us that believe you should wear your best are bacwards and narrow minded. I will say one This If you compromise a little on this or that when times get tough to maintain the crowd before you know it you will be totally away from God.
Dana

Jody Hawk

Dana Young said:
I will say one This If you compromise a little on this or that when times get tough to maintain the crowd before you know it you will be totally away from God.

Amen Brother !!!!

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Dana Young said:
I don't think that anyone is judging anyone as a matter of fact the only ones that are even getting anywhere toward judging are the ones that don't believe they should dress for worship services. they are saying those of us that believe you should wear your best are bacwards and narrow minded. I will say one This If you compromise a little on this or that when times get tough to maintain the crowd before you know it you will be totally away from God.
Dana
If allowing people to wear shorts to come and worship the Lord is wrong, then just hang me on a cross -- Cause' that's what they did to Jesus when he went upstream from man-made rules, regulation, religion and dogma... I'd simply call it the greatest of complement... I'm done with this one... See ya' in Paradise...

FESTUSHAGGIN

i think what people are losing sight of is no body is trying to convince you not to wear shorts to church. people at my church do not wear shorts. but you see anything from nice jeans and overalls to suits and ties. i usually wear khakis and a button down. i dont even own a suit. but what i think is very important is that you wear your best for the lord. if shorts is all you got and thats your best then by all means wear em. i guarantee if somebody walked into my church with shorts they would be welcome just like anybody else. i cant say that some people might look at em funny but all churches will have people like that no matter where you go. as long as you are there to serve the lord, and you come clean and tidy i have no problem. you are there to worship the king of kings. if you were under a monarchy would you address your king with shorts and a tshirt, probably not unless thats all you had and it was your best. jesus is my king and i will look presentable out of respect for him. god bless

Dana Young

Hunting Tom I didn't mean it like it sounded what I meant tosay was I'll be looking forward to seeing you there.

Double Barrel BB

To much going on today in churches, just to get the numbers..... I think most churches have lost sight of what Christians are supposed to be.

"Well if it gets the people here let's do it" mentality.

Maybe we need to focus on the QUALITY and not the QUANTITY.

They teach this "feel good theology" which only leads to more of the WORLD coming into the Church.

DB BB

Double Barrel BB

How many people have been in Court before?

Whether it was to pay a traffic fine or dispute a lawsuit...

In all the Courts I have been in they would not let you in unless you had presentable attire on, that meant no shorts or t-shirts. Not even to just watch the preceedings....

So why would you do less for Jesus?

DB BB