Dress code at church?

GeauxLSU

Al33 said:
The unsaved who come to a church seeking something they know is missing in their lives have little clue regarding respect for a Savior they have never met. Once saved and after they are weaned so to speak from spiritual milk, they should have spiritual discernment and and a great respect for our Savior and any of His many sanctuaries. Please read Hebrews 5:12-14.

Certainly, what one wears or does not wear to a formal worship service is between them and God, but I strongly feel that someone who should be mature in their walk with Christ would not only respect Him with their best attire, but others in the congregation as well. A church picnic is different than a traditional Sunday morning worship service. If Christ could wear a crown of thorns for me, not to mention the many stripes from the whips, the least I can do is get up a little earlier so I will have time to dress for the priveledge to worship Him. I am sure God will hear me and know my heart no matter what I wear, his grace guarantees that, but neither should I take His grace for granted. AND, speaking of His grace, I'm sure it will be extended to all no matter how they dress for church.

I Cor.; 10,31: Therfore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Read I Cor. 11;4-6 regarding head coverings for both men and women. I recall in my youth going to church and seeing all the ladies wearing hats. Rarely do we see this today and certainly hats on women had nothing to do with their relationships with Christ other than to honor God with obedience and reverence. My point being; What will be acceptable or commonplace in God's Churchs in another 50 years or less?
AMEN AL!!! :clap:

SBG

leroy said:
Never said I wore a hat, said I have seen some that do and they usually take them off in Church you would have to ask them their reason why.

Sorry. I was asking this hypothetically.

Do you think that they should take their hats off in Church?

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
leroy said:
this is your reply that I was refering to where you said we still have preachers that wear overalls today.
Now it is a choice and BTW i grew up with those men that wore overalls to church and I can tell you for a fact that if you showed up at their church with shorts on or something that was not appropriate then they would tell you about it very quickly and would not worry about your feelings while doing it.

Understand this freind, I would never and thought I made this clear in another thread (but evidently not) I would not turn anyone away for their dress from church,I never have and never will, however, I would tell them in love that they need to respect the Lord's house and dress appropriately.
Also for anyone to think it is a bad thing to have certain standards even in the lord's house is beyond me. Also I DO NOT and have not talked in any way shape form or fashion in a condescending way to anyone's beleif's here you beleive what you want Ill beleive what I want and feel is right in my heart. But I would expet the same courtesy from those who do not have the standards as myself or the congregation that I attend with.
God bless you all shorts and all. I mean that Im done with this thread as well.

SBG

Good post Branch!

jcarter

Banned
i always wear something pretty comfortable.....it makes it easier to fall asleep during the sermon.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
:rofl:
jcarter said:
i always wear something pretty comfortable.....it makes it easier to fall asleep during the sermon.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That there is funny.

7401R

Branchminnow said:
Now it is a choice and BTW i grew up with those men that wore overalls to church and I can tell you for a fact that if you showed up at their church with shorts on or something that was not appropriate then they would tell you about it very quickly and would not worry about your feelings while doing it.

Understand this freind, I would never and thought I made this clear in another thread (but evidently not) I would not turn anyone away for their dress from church,I never have and never will, however, I would tell them in love that they need to respect the Lord's house and dress appropriately.
Also for anyone to think it is a bad thing to have certain standards even in the lord's house is beyond me. Also I DO NOT and have not talked in any way shape form or fashion in a condescending way to anyone's beleif's here you beleive what you want Ill beleive what I want and feel is right in my heart. But I would expet the same courtesy from those who do not have the standards as myself or the congregation that I attend with.
God bless you all shorts and all. I mean that Im done with this thread as well.

Inappropriate...inappropriate...inappropriate....I have seen this countless times in
this thread. Please define inappropriate and tell us why shorts are not appropriate.

What about proper length shorts makes them less appropriate than overalls?

Women in dresses show their legs, men in Biblical times wore tunics that were knee length (Paul probably wore a tunic in the pulpit). I honestly do not understand the difference.

Prudes.....:huh:

Last edited:
Wow! I have never worn shorts to church. I have never worn overalls to church. But, I have been in churches of different kinds all my life and known people who wore both of those garments to church. Some of the people wearing shorts did not exemplify the Christian life (especially with their walk "outside" the church walls -- But many of them are some of the finest followers-of-Christ I have ever been privileged to know. Some of those who wore overalls were not a very good Christian witness outside of the church - But most of them were, and are some of the finest, most upstanding Godly men I have ever known. It amazes me that any of these people could be judged as appropriate, mature, or any other standard of their faith-walk simply by what they were wearing - I would say that is a superficial gage at the very best. My Lord said you will know them by their fruit (Meaning the lifestyle both in, and out of church walls), not by the clothes they choose to wear while cultivating that fruit.

Last edited:

leroy

billyjames said:
Wow! I have never worn shorts to church. I have never worn overalls to church. But, I have been in churches of different kinds all my life and known people who wore both of those garments to church. Some of the people wearing shorts did not exemplify the Christian life (especially with their walk "outside" the church walls -- But many of them are some of the finest followers-of-Christ I have ever been privileged to know. Some of those who wore overalls were not a very good Christian witness outside of the church - But most of them were, and are some of the finest, most upstanding Godly men I have ever known. It amazes me that any of these people could be judged as appropriate, mature, or any other standard of their faith-walk simply by what they were wearing - I would say that is a superficial gage at the very best. My Lord said you will know them by their fruit (Meaning the lifestyle both in, and out of church walls), not by the clothes they choose to wear while cultivating that fruit.

Good post billy!

Double Barrel BB

No matter what anyone says here it is not going to change the ones that want to wear certains things to church.

I would just like for everyone to remember this thread about 10 years from now....and let's see what the norm is for church attair....

DB BB

Double Barrel BB

7401R said:
Women in dresses show their legs, men in Biblical times wore tunics that were knee length (Paul probably wore a tunic in the pulpit). I honestly do not understand the difference.

Prudes.....:huh:

Where in the Bible does it say that tunics were knee length?

DB BB

Dana Young

I don't think anyone has said that what you wore represents what kind of Christian you are. It is merely about respect and about Man's desire for self gratification. By that I mean man doing what ever he wants to do the way he wants to do it. In alot of these posts its all about " me and how I feel".
Lets think about this for a minute. the bible talks about not being a stumbling block to your neighbor. I believe it was Paul that say a vision of all the different types of food and how some sects didn't believe you could eat this or that but God told Paul he could eat it all but not to do it if it offended a brother or sister. The point is there are a lot of things that we might do that is not necessarily sin but if we do them in front of someone that perieves it as sin it hurts our witness and causes a stumbling block.
Thats how i feel about certain kinds of dress for example shorts, It may not be sin but if even one person is offended by it then it becomes sin.
Now you might say that me not liking shorts to be worn in church could be a stumbling block to some, well that is possible but only because they are looking for an excuse any way in my opinion.
The point is that most people don't like aanything that conflicts with there way of living and if you are going to take all the things about worpshiping the Lord and his rules and ordinances out of church to get people in the door then why even bother to have a church why not Just have a social club.
I dare say this and I know that Iwill catch some flak for it but its not just the goodness of Jesus that brings people to repentence but more so the fear of the lord. Yes we should fear the lord. the bible says to not fear the one who can destroy the body but fear the one who can destroy the body and send your soul to he.. .
you see that by taking the requirements out of worship we take away the worship.
God bless
Dana

Double Barrel BB

Dana Young said:
I don't think anyone has said that what you wore represents what kind of Christian you are. It is merely about respect and about Man's desire for self gratification. By that I mean man doing what ever he wants to do the way he wants to do it. In alot of these posts its all about " me and how I feel".
Lets think about this for a minute. the bible talks about not being a stumbling block to your neighbor. I believe it was Paul that say a vision of all the different types of food and how some sects didn't believe you could eat this or that but God told Paul he could eat it all but not to do it if it offended a brother or sister. The point is there are a lot of things that we might do that is not necessarily sin but if we do them in front of someone that perieves it as sin it hurts our witness and causes a stumbling block.
Thats how i feel about certain kinds of dress for example shorts, It may not be sin but if even one person is offended by it then it becomes sin.
Now you might say that me not liking shorts to be worn in church could be a stumbling block to some, well that is possible but only because they are looking for an excuse any way in my opinion.
The point is that most people don't like aanything that conflicts with there way of living and if you are going to take all the things about worpshiping the Lord and his rules and ordinances out of church to get people in the door then why even bother to have a church why not Just have a social club.
I dare say this and I know that Iwill catch some flak for it but its not just the goodness of Jesus that brings people to repentence but more so the fear of the lord. Yes we should fear the lord. the bible says to not fear the one who can destroy the body but fear the one who can destroy the body and send your soul to he.. .
you see that by taking the requirements out of worship we take away the worship.
God bless
Dana

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful Post!!! Preach On!!!!!!!!!!

DB BB

Dana Young said:
God bless
Dana
If I remember my Sunday School lessons right, Paul was referring to Christians (Professing Believers) being a stumbling block for "unbelievers" to come into a saving relationship with the Resurrected Lord. It seems that the only people being offended by a person wearing shorts to church are the already-believers. So, is this thread really about "churched folk" circling the wagons, and, in essence, actually becoming a stumbling block for non-believers?

SBG

SBG said:
Do you think that they should take their hats off in Church?

This must be a problematic question.:)

Double Barrel BB

toridak said:
I have NEVER been in a court where you could not wear shorts or a t-shirt. We are really stretching it now!!

Oh I forget, the majority of people that post on here are from Metro Atlanta. I am sure the Court System up here is more "Progressive" than in South GA.

DB BB

SBG said:
This must be a problematic question.:)
The whole thread is problematic for me - Though I pretty much grew up in the church, and, have attended various kinds of churches on and off most of my adult life, I suppose I would be one of those "marginal", or, "on-the-bubble" people who is truly searching for some truth. And, quite honestly, as one who sees himself more of an "outsider" to church, I would be very hesitant about even considering visiting many of the churches you are a part of. I'm wondering if this voice is the majority voice of Christian believers:huh: If so, it seems a very judgmental and harsh voice... :(

Dana Young

billyjames
If I understand your question or statement. The answer is no its not, its about showing non believers that there is an order and reverential way to worship the Lord, like I said while it may not be sinful if it hinders someone else then it becomes sin whether the person hindered is a believer or not as Branch has testified the girl was hindered by her own dress because she could not concentrate on her experience with the lord for trying to hide her body parts. there is much more to this than alot of people believe and to some it may seem trivial but the spirit has made it very real to me that this is a form of distraction that does not need to be practiced by the redeemed by Christ.
Dana