Dress code at church?

DCarter001

SBG said:
This must be a problematic question.:)
Should you remove your hat in chuch? By SBG.
When you go to the Lord in prayer, yes. Then put it back on if you must. If it is the 10 gallon variety, please consider those seated behind you.

We had a pastor who would put his cowboy hat on as soon as he steped down from the pulpit.

DCarter001

billyjames said:
The whole thread is problematic for me - Though I pretty much grew up in the church, and, have attended various kinds of churches on and off most of my adult life, I suppose I would be one of those "marginal", or, "on-the-bubble" people who is truly searching for some truth. And, quite honestly, as one who sees himself more of an "outsider" to church, I would be very hesitant about even considering visiting many of the churches you are a part of. I'm wondering if this voice is the majority voice of Christian believers:huh: If so, it seems a very judgmental and harsh voice... :(
Don't worry about it Billy. You're not going to encounter this very much in church. If you do, change churches. Find one that is worried about your soul and not your style of dress.

Dana Young said:
billyjames
If I understand your question or statement. The answer is no its not, its about showing non believers that there is an order and reverential way to worship the Lord, like I said while it may not be sinful if it hinders someone else then it becomes sin whether the person hindered is a believer or not as Branch has testified the girl was hindered by her own dress because she could not concentrate on her experience with the lord for trying to hide her body parts. there is much more to this than alot of people believe and to some it may seem trivial but the spirit has made it very real to me that this is a form of distraction that does not need to be practiced by the redeemed by Christ.
Dana
So, I gather you are saying that because you say it's God's order of reverence and a way to worship Him, then, everyone else is suppose to cater to your idea of reverence? Seems rather narrow-minded to me. And, talking about being a stumbling block....

PWalls

There is no scripture that says not to wear shorts. Not going to find it. There is also not one that says not to wear a bikini or speedos. We are talking about a man doctrine here.

For me, it still goes back to respect. Everything I have was given to me by the Lord. I am a steward of what he has entrusted to me. He has given me shorts and T-Shirts and slacks and a suit and other clothes.

No one yet has explained why they wouldn't honor the Lord and respect Him enough to wear the nicest clothes they have (that again He provided) when they come into His house to worship Him. A pair of slacks and a collared shirt (standard dress on a golf course, no less) should not be that much of a problem to manage for church out of respect.

PWalls said:
There is no scripture that says not to wear shorts. Not going to find it. There is also not one that says not to wear a bikini or speedos. We are talking about a man doctrine here.

For me, it still goes back to respect. Everything I have was given to me by the Lord. I am a steward of what he has entrusted to me. He has given me shorts and T-Shirts and slacks and a suit and other clothes.

No one yet has explained why they wouldn't honor the Lord and respect Him enough to wear the nicest clothes they have (that again He provided) when they come into His house to worship Him. A pair of slacks and a collared shirt (standard dress on a golf course, no less) should not be that much of a problem to manage for church out of respect.
Because for me, shorts are not disrespectful in or outside the church building - As I posted in a previous post, I've known some people who have worn shorts, others overalls, and I'll add others fine suites to church services. Some of these people did not live out the life of a believer outside those walls, but most of them did and do. It seems that church people are just hung up on this whole thing about what they perceive as acceptable/appropriate or not acceptable/appropriate. Let me ask a simple question to all of you who seem to be adamant that shorts should not be worn in church. Do you really think Jesus cares?

Dana Young

No billyjames I don't want you are anyone else to cater to my way of doing anything, because Iknow that I can mess up, I am just stating that this is how God has lead me to believe, If he is telling you another way then by all means follow him Just be sure to test the spirit and be sure it is God, Remember there are many different spirits and they are not all of or from God I'm sure that you have read that in the bible. For you it may not be a distraction and you might not think it is a distraction for other people but I assure you it is to some and the devil willuse that to his advantage. For Instance when I was lost I remember seeing preachers do some things that I didn't think was right I even remember thinking if that man is a christian or preacher then I don't need to worry about anything, you see its all about our witness we give to the lost and actions speak louderthan words. I just saying that just because we don't think a particular thing is wrong, that doesn't mean we should do it especially in the house of God. You see we all have different concepts of whats right or wrong and sometimes even if somethings not wrong we still shouldn't do it. Brothers and sisters I love each and every one of you and wish you only the best, Idon't think anything less of you just because we don't agree but we all need to watch our lives and think before we do anything can anybody find this to be a stumbling block. and you are probably right my opinion could be a stumbling block. and if it is thats between you and God, He called me to Preach and a long time ago I found out that my opinions had to follow his spirit or they were worthless to me or anyone else, this is not my opinion I really could care less what you wear to worship him except that he has shown me that this is an area in which he is not well pleased.
As a footmote if you came to the church that I call home No one that I know of would judge you or call you on this,unless the lord led them to you would only feel love and welcome to or church. By the way it is Macedonia baptist church on porter springs road in Lumpkin County Georgia and everyone is welcome any time.
God bless
Dana

SBG

DCarter001 said:
We had a pastor who would put his cowboy hat on as soon as he steped down from the pulpit.

Why would he take it off in the pulpit? Did he get up there and pray the entire time? Obviously, he considered the pulpit a sacred place and removed as an act of reverence.:huh:

SBG

Dana Young

Also to answer your question Does Jesus care? Yes or he would not lead so many Gdo called Preachers to preach on the subject.

Dana Young said:
No billyjames I don't want you are anyone else to cater to my way of doing anything, because Iknow that I can mess up, I am just stating that this is how God has lead me to believe, If he is telling you another way then by all means follow him Just be sure to test the spirit and be sure it is God, Remember there are many different spirits and they are not all of or from God I'm sure that you have read that in the bible. For you it may not be a distraction and you might not think it is a distraction for other people but I assure you it is to some and the devil willuse that to his advantage. For Instance when I was lost I remember seeing preachers do some things that I didn't think was right I even remember thinking if that man is a christian or preacher then I don't need to worry about anything, you see its all about our witness we give to the lost and actions speak louderthan words.
God bless
Dana
You mean you saw preachers of the gospel doing things that were a poor witness during worship?!

Dana Young

Not during worship but out and about. remember preachers are just sinners saved by grace the same as anyone else. they make poor choices just like all people from time to time. I'll even go as far as saying if your pastor or anyother preacher tells you the don't sin or struggle withit they are liars.

Dana Young said:
Not during worship but out and about.
Now I'm even more confused. I take you are saying that what the preacher was doing outside the church that was a stumbling block, was also something that would be wrong inside the church (worship service) as well, correct? Yet, I've read posts that it's quite alright to wear shorts to, say, a picnic, and that's not a stumbling block, but, wearing them into a service is bad (and it's even been noted that Sunday or Wednesday evening's worship is acceptable to be less formal in attire).

Dana Young

Billy Iam not saying it was right just because he was outside the church building the building is not the church personally I never wear shorts in public since the lord revealed to me it was wrong. sin is sin no matter where it is. now I am not saying that wearing shorts is a sin I am talking about doing things out side the church that is sin don't mak it not sin. I belive it was Paul again that said that until his life of sin was revealed to him he didn't know it was sin. the same thing with us until the spirit reveals sin in our lif e we don't know it is there. Once we know something is wrong we need to be rid of that thing, that being said any worship service should be the same as th other IE: Sunday Morning or night or any other time.
Also I didn't say what the preachers or christains in question was doing was sin It just Did'nt seem to be approiate to a lost person. you see a lost person will find any justification for his life.

Dana Young

Yes we are getting a little off topic but we have to answer all questions in order to get back to the topic.

I don't understand the part about the high performance vehicle though.

leroy

Dana Young said:
Billy Iam not saying it was right just because he was outside the church building the building is not the church personally I never wear shorts in public since the lord revealed to me it was wrong. sin is sin no matter where it is. now I am not saying that wearing shorts is a sin I am talking about doing things out side the church that is sin don't mak it not sin. I belive it was Paul again that said that until his life of sin was revealed to him he didn't know it was sin. the same thing with us until the spirit reveals sin in our lif e we don't know it is there. Once we know something is wrong we need to be rid of that thing, that being said any worship service should be the same as th other IE: Sunday Morning or night or any other time.
Also I didn't say what the preachers or christains in question was doing was sin It just Did'nt seem to be approiate to a lost person. you see a lost person will find any justification for his life.

If wearing shorts in public is wrong in Gods eyes then we are all in trouble! Come on people get real!

Dana Young said:
So, if what we do outside the church, whether sin or not, is a stumbling block to the unbeliever or believer, we should not do it?

leroy

SBG said:

Now we're getting somewhere so you think Jesus thinks less of someone in shorts in Church than someone dressed up be it a suit or whatever. Again get real and back that up with scripture! and yes I would take my hat off in Church just like I would take it off when I sit down for a meal or go inside to me thats proper etiquette. Again this shows me how much my Church means to me and how much I love it!

Dana Young

Jesus does not think any less of one person than anotherand thts not what has beensaid.
Billy my answer to your last question is yes as christians we have a resposability to not be a stumbling block to any one any where.

All christians have the responsibility to model their behavior after christ. in every aspect of their lives unfortunately this is not the case and the lord knows that in this carnal body we are going to sin and come short but we should strive to be as much like christ as possible .

Dana Young said:
Billy my answer to your last question is yes as christians we have a resposability to not be a stumbling block to any one any where.

All christians have the responsibility to model their behavior after Christ. in every aspect of their lives unfortunately this is not the case and the lord knows that in this carnal body we are going to sin and come short but we should strive to be as much like christ as possible .
So, I have been faced with many people (both believers and non-believers, both inside and outside the church as well) who are pretty adamant anti-hunters. They range from people who thinks is simply inappropriate to people who think it's a vile violation of humanity. Either way, my hunting (as much as it is a part of me, comforts me, and I enjoy) is definitely a stumbling block to many people. With your logic, I (we) should abandon our hunting for the sake of not becoming a stumbling block? If we are striving to show the world by modeling our behavior after Christ (as your posts suggest), I honestly can't say I've ever read where Jesus hunted down and killed anything in the scriptures. Should I quit hunting because, even though it's not a blatant sin, and, just because I can't reference where Jesus does it, it may offend someone?