Dress code at church?

PWalls

Woodswalker said:
as an aside, if we ever do get to the point of asking good questions, maybe later we can focus on good answers?

Questions are so much easier to ask.

One day, we are all going to know.

DCarter001

SBG said:
Why would he take it off in the pulpit? Did he get up there and pray the entire time? Obviously, he considered the pulpit a sacred place and removed as an act of reverence.:huh:
Our pulpit is in front of the choir loft. He had to take it off, so we could see the choir.:bounce:

7401R

PWalls said:
There is no scripture that says not to wear shorts. Not going to find it. There is also not one that says not to wear a bikini or speedos. We are talking about a man doctrine here.

For me, it still goes back to respect. Everything I have was given to me by the Lord. I am a steward of what he has entrusted to me. He has given me shorts and T-Shirts and slacks and a suit and other clothes.

No one yet has explained why they wouldn't honor the Lord and respect Him enough to wear the nicest clothes they have (that again He provided) when they come into His house to worship Him. A pair of slacks and a collared shirt (standard dress on a golf course, no less) should not be that much of a problem to manage for church out of respect.

What is the difference between a $50.00 pair of Tommy shorts and a $50.00 pair of Tommy slacks? They are both equally nice.

7401R

Double Barrel BB said:
Where in the Bible does it say that tunics were knee length?

DB BB

Just google biblical times clothing and you will find it or look it up in your Funk&Wagnall.

. A loose-fitting garment, sleeved or sleeveless, extending to the knees and worn by men and women especially in ancient Greece and Rome

SBG

7401R said:
What is the difference between a $50.00 pair of Tommy shorts and a $50.00 pair of Tommy slacks? 7

About 12 inches.::ke: :bounce:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Originally Posted by 7401R
What is the difference between a $50.00 pair of Tommy shorts and a $50.00 pair of Tommy slacks? 7

About 12 inches.

I thought it would be 2 knees and a couple of calves

shaggybill

So if any of ya'll heard God was going to be down at your church tonight in person and he was wanting to talk to you about some stuff, you're telling me that you would show up to meet him in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt? Yipes...

It's not about your appearance, folks, it's about coming into the presense of the Holiest of Holies and showing the absolute, most humble respect you can muster. If shorts and a t-shirt is the best you can do dress-wise, when you have better clothing available... Well, I guess I better close my mouth. :)

It's all about bringing your best before God...

Edit: I feel obligated to say that I am sometimes guilty of violating my own principles, but I do my best to wear my best clothing when going to Sunday worship. And at the risk of sounding high horsey-like, shorts especially are out of the question for me in any kind of church setting.

7401R

shaggybill said:
So if any of ya'll heard God was going to be down at your church tonight in person and he was wanting to talk to you about some stuff, you're telling me that you would show up to meet him in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt? Yipes...

It's not about your appearance, folks, it's about coming into the presense of the Holiest of Holies and showing the absolute, most humble respect you can muster. If shorts and a t-shirt is the best you can do dress-wise, when you have better clothing available... Well, I guess I better close my mouth.

It's all about bringing your best before God...

Yea...and you are on the wrong thread.

No one has said anything about shorts and a t-shirt.

But, I guess in some circles people think that is the only way shorts can be worn.

shaggybill

7401R said:

I'm pretty sure this entire thread has been about what people wear to church.

7401R

shaggybill said:
I'm pretty sure this entire thread has been about what people wear to church.

Not the shorts and t-shirts that you mention.

shaggybill

Well... Unless my browser is really screwing this site up, the first 12-15 pages were discussing wearing shorts to church.

7401R

shaggybill said:
Well... Unless my browser is really screwing this site up, the first 12-15 pages were discussing wearing shorts to church.

Yes...wearing shorts, not wearing t-shirts.

The discussion has been about nice shorts with nice dress-type collared shirts.

shaggybill

Alrighty then... I'll give ya this one. ;) I was under the impression that regular shorts and a casual t-shirt were the garments in question. Although I still wouldnt wear shorts of any kind to church. But that's just me. Ya'll can do what you want. I dont think it's a heaven or pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie issue, of course, I just believe a person oughta dress up when going to worship their Creator is all. And when it comes to modesty, as was discussed in the early posts, some of the things I've seen people wear to church are just shameful.

Have fun with the discussion. I believe I'll bow out while I still can. (But I'll be watching from the sidelines, so dont be surprised if I jump back in!) :D

What am I still doing up...?

SBG

7401R said:

No one has said anything about shorts and a t-shirt.

But, I guess in some circles people think that is the only way shorts can be worn.

Thanks for the longsuffering????:confused:

ShaggyBill,

Thanks for the post.

I'm really trying to plug in. If I concede and wear a nice, button down collar and the best pair of slacks I have (And maybe even a tie and sport coat at Easter), can I still wear my Birkenstocks and still be reverent and worshipful?

GeauxLSU

billyjames said:
I'm really trying to plug in. If I concede and wear a nice, button down collar and the best pair of slacks I have (And maybe even a tie and sport coat at Easter), can I still wear my Birkenstocks and still be reverent and worshipful?
You tell me.

reverent

adj 1: feeling or showing profound respect or veneration;

But, if you are wearing Birkenstocks, perhaps we have come to the crux of the issue. ::ke:
Just trying to lighten the mood a little. :p

DCarter001

billyjames said:
can I still wear my Birkenstocks and still be reverent and worshipful?
When Moses was in God's presence at the burning bush, didn't he tell him to remove his sandals, he was on Holy ground? ::ke:
Just thought I would interject that thought. Before anyone gets terribly upset, I am NOT saying you should go barefoot to Church.