Duck Equipment Questions

chambers270

Hey fellows, This is only my 2nd season chasing quackers. I have a Stoger Model 2000(if anybody else has used one I would like to hear your opinion on the gun) and was wondering what setup would be the best. I currently use 2 3/4 inch #6 Federals with Full or Modified Chokes. I cant remember which I had the best success with so I am going with Modified in the morning.

I have a place loaded with Woodies and can shoot them coming to or leaving the Roost. They fly low because of the short pines around the Lake so what shells would you recommend? Also I am a pretty good wingshooter so do I go Full for more distance or Modified for a better spread? Thanks a lot guys

Swampdemon

Banned
I guess you mean #6 steel. If so I like a I.C. or a modified if I over big water. If you can shoot 3" shells it might be better and maybe #4 steel. I wish we could still shoot lead, legally. I do not think I would shoot a full choke w/ steel I have never had the need to cause steel seems to pattern much tighter than lead anyway.

chambers270

Well I can see a long ways but it is over knee deep water and about 8 foot tall pine trees. I just want to get the best distance but with a decent spread to drop a Wood Duck. Most of my shots are coming or going directly above me.

Too bad lead isnt legal anymore because I have "heard" that it works way better. Also, isn't steel shot bad for your barrel or is that just some rumor?

Is it legal to hunt with lead if you are not shooting over water but still hunting ducks?

Dub

I've looked at those Stoegers before....nice looking guns, great value and a reputation for dependability.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
I have a stoeger 2000 and use the modified choke with #2 steel. I am considering trying some hevi-shot. All you need is your gun ,shells and waders!

:flag:

arrow4u

i also have a stoger 2000, i bought it last year and I LOVE IT. i sold my benellie nova to replace it, i never had a problem with the nova mechanically but it was just too long for me 5ft 6in. i shoot mod. #2 on big water and #4 in the timber. i tried the hevy-shot #6 with imp. in some really close timber and it worked greate. i tried the new hevi-steel this year and was not impressed at all. good luck to all wing busters. we are headding out to arkanasa in the morning.

Covehnter

You must use steel regardless, if you are hunting over water or not, as long as you're chasin' waterfowl. I'd use the Mod. and #2's.

Shine Runner

For Woodies, #4 is all you need. For the shooting you described, Imp Cyl will do fine especially on those straight-at-ya shots. If you are leading them right, you'll be fine. Only problem is you can only take 2 Woodies. Heard from a friend this AM who had Mallards come in with the Woodies in Turner/Irwin County!