Duck Hole Advice

I’m a very inexperienced duck hunter but I’ve got land along a pretty big creek in Burke County and have been interested in creating a an area to hunt. I found this spot this weekend. To me, it looks like it could be a good spot if I cleared out some of the weeds (smartweed, I think) to create more open water. It’s a slough off the main creek. I’d like to hear what more experienced hunters think. Any tips/ideas appreciated. There’s no way to get any equipment in the area and I cannot drain the area.

6AA0EB12-0CA8-4B22-85A8-8DF23C6400D7.jpeg
821F3E16-6A9F-48B5-A1BA-55643C72559F.jpeg
6AA0EB12-0CA8-4B22-85A8-8DF23C6400D7.jpeg821F3E16-6A9F-48B5-A1BA-55643C72559F.jpegC74DFEA0-8AC9-423C-BE28-D1006ED5267D.jpeg6B01C732-3620-4C11-9D29-4910BF4DD65E.jpeg077D8890-5518-49A3-80F9-981C47F4C3E6.jpeg

Mexican Squealer

Looks great as it is. No chance of being able to control water can limit you some but to have that much natural food in a swamp close to a creek is ideal. As asked above, are the ducks already using it? Looks good to me, how bout the ducks?

If that is Brier Creek and depending on how close it is to the river it probably sees birds. Looks good!

Yes. It’s on Briar Creek. This area is about 100-200 yards off the main creek. Near HWY 56 so not too far from the river.

What’s the consensus on removing some of the weeds to make more open water? I was thinking of doing that in a few place with the thought ducks may land in those areas.

We had a similar looking spot and during the first few years after logging it was good and had mallards, woodies and gadwall using it (in GA) after succession took over the smartweed matted up each year (like seen in this picture) and the ducks did not have enough room to land.
Need a good 50/50 ratio of open water and food. We have not figured out how to kill back the thick vegetation.

jNick

I’d put a tripod feeder and a cell cam right in the middle of it during the off season and see what you have.
Definitely needs to be opened up.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I’d put a tripod feeder and a cell cam right in the middle of it during the off season and see what you have.
Definitely needs to be opened up.

Good advice. Given its location it is definitely in an area where birds are present. Ive seen the pond in Waynesboro covered up with migrants! The Brick Yard Ponds in Augusta have been covered up since Teal season and are CRAWLING with ringnecks and redheads right now. Should be able to turn it into something. If you could come up with a way to control water, especially get more on it, it could be spectacular. If you find they use the area or can entice them to do so be very conservative on pressure. There is a BUNCH of that environment in the area.....

Thanks for all the replies. I assume put corn in the feeder? Would I run it year round (except for duck season)? Woodies could be there all year, right?

The water levels on the property are lower than usual right now so in other years there may be more open water.

Reactions: rni

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Layman's question:
Wouldn't beavers help?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Maybe beavers don't last so long around Briar Creek.

ghadarits

Yes. It’s on Briar Creek. This area is about 100-200 yards off the main creek. Near HWY 56 so not too far from the river.

What’s the consensus on removing some of the weeds to make more open water? I was thinking of doing that in a few place with the thought ducks may land in those areas.
I would determine if ducks are using it before doing anything else. Then I would try and determine how they approach and where they generally want to be. Their use of an area will very with different types of ducks and different pushes of birds sometimes so one week you’re right where you need to be and then a front pushes the birds you have out and pushes a new group in and they might deviate from what the last group was doing. I’ve seen wood ducks walk up out of the water to feed on acorns on dry land and I’ve seen them drop into an area of water smaller than the bed of a truck so I don’t think clearing an area is necessary for the woodies maybe for mallards if you’re seeing any in the area. If I was going to clear something it wouldn’t be a good food source because thats probably what’s attracting them. I hunt not far from you and would be happy to go and look at it and offer you the advice for what I would do to improve and or just hunt it. It’s been my experience in most woody holes there’s a spot that gives you a chance for getting a decent shot on birds approaching from multiple directions but that requires a lot of experience in a hole to determine.

Last edited:

ghadarits

I’m a very inexperienced duck hunter but I’ve got land along a pretty big creek in Burke County and have been interested in creating a an area to hunt. I found this spot this weekend. To me, it looks like it could be a good spot if I cleared out some of the weeds (smartweed, I think) to create more open water. It’s a slough off the main creek. I’d like to hear what more experienced hunters think. Any tips/ideas appreciated. There’s no way to get any equipment in the area and I cannot drain the area.

View attachment 1132517
View attachment 1132518
View attachment 1132517View attachment 1132518View attachment 1132519View attachment 1132520View attachment 1132521
And in addition that’s a really ducky looking hole. I think you have something there. I’d be real selective about who I take there if it’s not property you have locked down.

ghadarits

We had a similar looking spot and during the first few years after logging it was good and had mallards, woodies and gadwall using it (in GA) after succession took over the smartweed matted up each year (like seen in this picture) and the ducks did not have enough room to land.
Need a good 50/50 ratio of open water and food. We have not figured out how to kill back the thick vegetation.
You will really struggle to get rid of or knock back smartweed that stuff put off so much seed it takes over most places it gets a good foot hold in.

kingfish

First off that's a great looking spot. I think you can still call D.U. and Delta Waterfowl for advice. In Florida, my duck hunting buddy hired someone to completely clear his man made pond on his property. After the clearing, he put in Tilapia to keep the vegetation cleared up. The duck weed took over and the woodies (both local and migrators) are constant now. He's also had both blue and greenwing teal as well as Black Bellies on his pond. Best of luck, that looks like a honeyhole in the making. Keep us posted on the process.

ghadarits

Surely there has to be something that can be done to set it back. Too much of a good thing can be bad I suppose.
I’m sure there’s a herbicide that will do the trick but I wouldn’t go there myself. You could try and push it down with long bamboo weighted down depending on water depth. Mature smartweed is vine like and usually lays down once theres a frost so would lend its self well to trying that.