Durniak's Fishing Report 2/5/21

Jimmy Harris

Summary:
We saw low, clear, and cold water last week, with the trout action slow for most traditional anglers. However, a few folks who were flexible actually had good days.
The weather forecast is up and down, with some snow even possible tomorrow night at high elevations. Again, watch the weather and road conditions, and pick a warm afternoon for your best social distancing escape to the mountains. We have some intel about recent Delayed Harvest redosings, too.

Wes’s weekly hot fly list includes split case BWO nymph, Micro Mayfly nymph, trout crack, fire eggs, and the muddy buddy streamer. Other folks had luck on small soft hackle hares ears, peach eggs, mops, and especially copper johns. Due to some late news today, I’ll add squirmy worms and small woolly buggers to the list. Details are in the angler reports that follow.

Headwaters
Small streams have been slow due to the cold. You’ll do more fishing than catching, and any players will likely take your deep nymph instead of your dry fly.

Delayed Harvest
Today’s news is that GAWRD redosed several waters this week, so have your eggs, squirmy worms, and buggers ready. Also go early, late, or on a weekday to avoid the weekend crowds. If you haven’t already, go to the GAWRD trout page and sign up for the agency’s weekly fishing reports and trout stocking lists. You might even notice some early walleye intel!
https://georgiawildlife.com/fishing/angler-resources

We had a couple of good Chattooga DH reports. RonW had a great trip last weekend, “The Trio hit the river" and had another stellar day. We easily caught 50+ fish among the three of us! Kurt tore them up all day and took the numbers honors, with Moe taking the big fish honor. Eggs weighted deep were the ticket all day long. I caught a few on the "Ronco Special" which was used as an anchor to get the egg down fast. Happy to see the Flybrary kicking on the kiosk. That makes my heart happy. The water was cold, yeah I know I need to get a thermometer. I never let it deter me though. The colder the better! As little as I get to fish, I'll fish in any condition any chance I get.”

Jimmy met two friends in the parking lot yesterday and they distanced along the Chattooga DH. His two buddies fished traditionally, dredging eggs and nymphs in deep, slow pools. They had slow catching days. In contrast, Jimmy hit the riffles and had a banner day, despite water that only warmed to 42 degrees. He said, “When I first got on the river I was doing what we usually do in mid-winter; I was dredging the bottom in deep holes. Fortunately, in the second spot I fished, my fly drifted out of the deep pool and into an adjacent shallow riffle where I hooked up with a rainbow. That dim bulb in my brain brightened slightly and I started focusing only on the shallow riffles, 2 to 3 feet deep. From then on I was consistently into fish for the next three hours. I fished a Pat's Rubberlegs with a Copper John dropper with most fish coming on the Copper John. At the end of the day, I had 16 rainbows, 3 browns, and probably another 6 long distance releases. No split shot since the water was so shallow where I was fishing.”

That’s the latest news as we welcome February and its challenging fishing conditions. Dress warmly, watch the weather, water, and road conditions, and be distant and safe. Good luck!