Dutch Oven Cooking group

Bill Mc

We need one. Anybody?

Whiteeagle

We could use one here in W. Central Georgia! There are several individuals scattered around, maybe someone can organize a group and get the ball rolling! I love DO cooking, but don't have the organizing skills.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
i would like to learn to cook on one. i have owned on for years and never tried it

greg_n_clayton

i would like to learn to cook on one. i have owned on for years and never tried it

Me too Pappy !! From what I hear it is trial and error!! I wish I could be a expert right outta the gate !!

greg_n_clayton

Check out Buck's post #279 in the WAR thread at the campfire. That's what I'm talk in about !!

Bill Mc

I need to cook something in my dutch oven(s)

Flaustin1

Ive found that dutch ovens are extremely easy to use. Maybe ive gotten lucky though.

MartyH

I cook in dutch ovens and cast iron pots and pans in my back yard next to the woods. I have built a camping area there and we enjoy it quite often. Ill try to upload a picture for you to see. The picture is to large to upload.

Artfuldodger

It's a fun camping past time on a lazy camp day. Just plain old canned biscuits are good. Dump cakes work really well. Apple Pie Baked Beans work well in the dutch oven;

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (a maple fattie is good)
1 can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore. Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=423407

Oak-flat Hunter

Dutch oven cookers

I think it would be great too have a forum for dutch oven cookers.

greg_n_clayton

I thank Pappy needs to brang his pot on up here and us cook soup beans and ham !! I will cook the cornbread !! Maybe up around the upper campground at Sarah's Creek now all the tourist have cleared out !! Since you don't like crowds Pappy, we wont invite nobody else !! Also wont be nobody talkin about all the gas we produce !!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I cook in dutch ovens and cast iron pots and pans in my back yard next to the woods. I have built a camping area there and we enjoy it quite often. Ill try to upload a picture for you to see. The picture is to large to upload.

download a program called pixresizer. You can use it to make the picture smaller, and then it will upload. I usually go at the 50% setting and it will be plenty big, and upload quickly.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I thought I had found me some pink eye peas today from a feller I know. Now them would have been a good thing to try in a dutch oven.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I thank Pappy needs to brang his pot on up here and us cook soup beans and ham !! I will cook the cornbread !! Maybe up around the upper campground at Sarah's Creek now all the tourist have cleared out !! Since you don't like crowds Pappy, we wont invite nobody else !! Also wont be nobody talkin about all the gas we produce !!

I like that upper campground @ Sarah's Creek, especially if I can get that spot at the back where the pool is on the creek.

MartyH

Thanks Pappy for the info. Maybe the picture of my backyard camping area will show up now.

Attachments

• IMG_0284 (2304 x 1728).jpg
    IMG_0284 (2304 x 1728).jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,060