E bikes on WMA’s

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I can assure you the 4x4 crowd didn't need any assistance from tree huggers, etc as you put it. The 4x4 crowd is their own worst enemy without any outside help. I can show you on the local WMA (Chickasawhatchee) where they totaly disregard the rules - drive around gates clearly posted "FOOT TRAFFIC ONLY", then leave the road/firebreak and plow off down through the swamp.At Elmodel WMA they drive right out into the creek and enjoy churning up the creek bed. No agency manager in his right mind would willing tolerate such behavior - tree hugger or not. I've seen fragile high mountain meadows in Montana scared for years where a 4 wheeler decided to have a little fun and go bogging. I've seen 'em plow right into the Flint River. Total disregard for anybody or anything except themselves and their percieved "right" to operate their machines when and where they like.
Does this mean that ALL 4x4 operators are the same? Certainly not. But failure of the group to police themselves cost everyone the opportunity. And it is an opportunity/privilage NOT a right.
If you want to see what happens when user groups go unchecked look no further than the posts in the fresh water fishing and kayak threads on this forum to see how resevoirs have become a constant display of bad behavior. Resposibility, thoughtfulness, consideration,, and common sense go along way. Sadly missing in alot of the hunting and fishing & ORV crowd this day and time.

Calling people who trespass in 4x4s and damage roads and trails the "4x4 crowd" is like calling people who spotlight deer, steal trail cams & tree stands and trespass to poach the "hunting crowd". It's like calling a mass shooting murderer part of the "gun crowd".

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
So when the animal rights groups and the anti-hunting groups file frivilous suit after suit against State and Federal Wildlife Agencies to stop legal trapping, or hunting by your estimation those suits are virtuous even if you don't agree with them?

Are you being obtuse? I don't agree with those lawsuits. I think they are frivolous.

My terrorist just may be your freedom fighter, and visa versa.

bigblocktransam

Oh yeah, just what the GA DNR needs, to spend money to defend themselves against a frivolous law suit!
We, the Federal Govt/people of the US have millions of acres of designated wilderness areas, ABSOLUTELY NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES! Reckon ADA ought to sue to ensure equal access to everyone. Guess they need to put a ski lift to the top of Mount Everest to satisfy the ADA.

Don’t worry the DNR has no money to spend anyway. All they want is your money so they can hand it over to the state.. you get nothing.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I've seen wma roads almost impassable due to ruts 3 foot deep. As well as foot travel only trails. Totally uncalled for. Those roads are for the hunter ft access and for dnr/ forestry maintenance. Not joy riding and destroying the habitat
It’s become a bit of art to fix the roads as I drive them. As in mash down the high points and reroute the water/mud.
Seriously I ride to fix not ruin.
When I do this I find others do as well.
Most folks are there to hunt but the few can’t avoid making a mudpit in the same ol spots year after year.

Thanks a million to whoever finally fixed the main mess hole at Bfgrant. It’s been a mess for twenty years and now it’s perfectly fixed and 100% passable in a 2x4.
Used to have to drive all the way around many miles to avoid the hill and that mudpit ledge. Many thanks again.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
BTW, do e bikes actually cause 3' deep ruts on WMA roads?

How about motorized wheels chairs? Have they been know to cause deep rutting on WMA roads?

Asking for a handicapped friend.

Whit90

Public land can be a double edged sword. It can be good hunting or fishing with easy access, but the crowds will fill that area up in a short period of time. Or it can be good hunting or fishing (or not) with no access (trail) and require a couple miles of hiking. But the beauty of public land (if you have the desire and will) is the freedom to roam and find those seemingly untouched areas. Now, there probably is not much land in GA that has been untouched, but its nice to hike a good ways and not have a four wheeler, jeep, or dirt bike ride by you. My point is that wild places still exist because they are difficult to get to. Wild places will eventually become a thing of the past once easy access is granted. IMO.

Wayne D Davis

It’s become a bit of art to fix the roads as I drive them. As in mash down the high points and reroute the water/mud.
Seriously I ride to fix not ruin.
When I do this I find others do as well.
Most folks are there to hunt but the few can’t avoid making a mudpit in the same ol spots year after year.

Thanks a million to whoever finally fixed the main mess hole at Bfgrant. It’s been a mess for twenty years and now it’s perfectly fixed and 100% passable in a 2x4.
Used to have to drive all the way around many miles to avoid the hill and that mudpit ledge. Many thanks again.
Paulding forest only has a few roads that are wayyy back that i rarely travel during heavy rain and traffic hunt's. Over 95% of the roadways open for all traffic are very well maintained. Grading with gravel added. I have a distant cousin that does the road work as well as the controlled burns and cutting fire breaks. I've seen BMW's back in there

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

glynr329

I hope I never get to the point in my life that I think of a person who is truly handicapped stay home. That is really messed up. There is a difference between handicap and lazy. I do not agree with giving a lazy person any help at all but truly medical issues is different . Tomorrow maybe your unlucky day so be careful and if it is I would never say to bad for you walk or stay home.

ddd-shooter

This is correct, I was unaware of the change back in May so I went back and deleted my posts with the incorrect info. I wasn't involved in making the change, so I didn't see it until I went to review the first draft of the regulations.
@C.Killmaster
This is copied from the regulations.

RIDING HORSES AND BIKES
Horses and bicycles are allowed on open roads, designated trails, or designated areas (some specific area restrictions may apply). Bicycles may be used on closed roads for the purpose of hunter access. Electric bicycles (750 watts or less) may be used the same as pedal powered bicycles. Those exceeding 750 watts are restricted to roads open for vehicular access. Horses may be used off roads and trails during permitted field trials. Horses and bicycles may be used on National Forest Lands not otherwise closed. Horses and bicycles are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail.

So, if I’m on a gated (closed) forest service road, can I use an electric bike? That second to last sentence is a little ambiguous to me. Thanks for your help

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
@C.Killmaster
This is copied from the regulations.

RIDING HORSES AND BIKES
Horses and bicycles are allowed on open roads, designated trails, or designated areas (some specific area restrictions may apply). Bicycles may be used on closed roads for the purpose of hunter access. Electric bicycles (750 watts or less) may be used the same as pedal powered bicycles. Those exceeding 750 watts are restricted to roads open for vehicular access. Horses may be used off roads and trails during permitted field trials. Horses and bicycles may be used on National Forest Lands not otherwise closed. Horses and bicycles are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail.

So, if I’m on a gated (closed) forest service road, can I use an electric bike? That second to last sentence is a little ambiguous to me. Thanks for your help

The way I read the federal rules right now, I believe the answer is no behind closed gates on USFS land. The Dept. of Interior lands, like NWRs and BLM land, already have proposed rules to allow them where regular bikes are allowed. However, the USFS has not proposed any changes yet. I just found a statement that they were exploring ways to expand opportunities for e-bikes.

I agree that sentence is pretty vague, but that sentence was like that before e-bike rules were changed for WMAs.

Last edited: