E bikes on WMA’s

sghoghunter

We was in a discussion today about riding E bikes on WMA roads and trails. I was under the impression that they was electric powered so can ride on main roads but not foot only but two different people said they called to check and was told they could be rode on any road or trail. Has something changed or what’s the deal

sghoghunter

A non motorized bicycle can be used on foot travel only trails.
Electric is motorized. Is how @C.Killmaster put it once if I remember correctly.

That’s what I’ve always understood but this one guy said you’re able to ride a 750 watt but not a 1000 watt but I don’t see where it matters what size it is it’s still powered

jbogg

That's correct. The only thing that has changed is they started allowing 750 watt and smaller e-bikes on federal department of the interior lands on designated trails, such as National Wildlife Refuges and BLM land. They are still prohibited on WMAs and National Forest except for open, improved roads and ATV trails.

Would a gated road on a WMA that is only opened for a few rifle hunts be considered improved? There are a few food plots I like to hunt hogs on that are over an hour walk from the locked gate. It’s a gut check packing a big hog out of there on foot.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
You would think that an ADA lawsuit would get access permitted. Folks that are disabled that require motorized transportation are being denied access to their(our) lands.

Works for a lot of other things.

deerpoacher1970

I don't know what would be different in Georgia,we ride them on gated roads all the time in Tennessee and government land is owned by the United States Forest Service not the state of Georgia.

280 Man

Banned
You would think that an ADA lawsuit would get access permitted. Folks that are disabled that require motorized transportation are being denied access to their(our) lands.

And then everybody that had anything wrong could get a tag and it would turn into what we have at Wally world, Target or any other retail space. I know there's some that really need them but half of the folks that get them just want a close walk!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Every WMA has either designated areas for ADA citizens or we can make special accomodations upon request. DNR has done a lot of work over the last several years to make sure the WMAs are compliant with ADA and provide good access for those with disabilities.

oldguy

Oh great, just what we need another motorized something in the woods! If'n you can't walk - STAY HOME!
What part of "FOOT TRAFFIC ONLY" don't you understand?
"Some guy said..." tell THAT to the Warden or the Judge.

oldguy

Oh yeah, just what the GA DNR needs, to spend money to defend themselves against a frivolous law suit!
We, the Federal Govt/people of the US have millions of acres of designated wilderness areas, ABSOLUTELY NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES! Reckon ADA ought to sue to ensure equal access to everyone. Guess they need to put a ski lift to the top of Mount Everest to satisfy the ADA.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Every WMA has either designated areas for ADA...

I think ALL public lands should be designated areas.

If someone who can't walk to a good spot can hop in their motorized wheelchair or on their ebike to get there, more power to them.

I'm all about putting the "public" back in public lands.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Oh yeah, just what the GA DNR needs, to spend money to defend themselves against a frivolous law suit!

It's only frivolous when you don't agree with it.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
We, the Federal Govt/people of the US have millions of acres of designated wilderness areas, ABSOLUTELY NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES!

Yep. A lot of those areas used to be able to be accessed disabled hunters and fisherman.

Folks that enjoyed 4x4s have been pushed off of PUBLIC land that have had four wheeling trails for decades. That is, until the liberal tree huggers took over the federal & state governments.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I think ALL public lands should be designated areas.

If someone who can't walk to a good spot can hop in their motorized wheelchair or on their ebike to get there, more power to them.

I'm all about putting the "public" back in public lands.
Get here when you can buddy.
The only person stopping you is you.
Dnr doesn’t hand out too many rouge wheelchair tickets.

oldguy

It's only frivolous when you don't agree with it.
So when the animal rights groups and the anti-hunting groups file frivilous suit after suit against State and Federal Wildlife Agencies to stop legal trapping, or hunting by your estimation those suits are virtuous even if you don't agree with them? You do know that one of their tactics is to bankrupt the very agencies that WE depend on by filing FRIVILOUS law suits don't you? Or maybe not.
I'm gonna' encourage ADA to suit all colleges and universities for not providing equal access to college sports programs - wheelchairs and walkers MUST be allowed on all football fields and basketball courts!

oldguy

Yep. A lot of those areas used to be able to be accessed disabled hunters and fisherman.

Folks that enjoyed 4x4s have been pushed off of PUBLIC land that have had four wheeling trails for decades. That is, until the liberal tree huggers took over the federal & state governments.
I can assure you the 4x4 crowd didn't need any assistance from tree huggers, etc as you put it. The 4x4 crowd is their own worst enemy without any outside help. I can show you on the local WMA (Chickasawhatchee) where they totaly disregard the rules - drive around gates clearly posted "FOOT TRAFFIC ONLY", then leave the road/firebreak and plow off down through the swamp.At Elmodel WMA they drive right out into the creek and enjoy churning up the creek bed. No agency manager in his right mind would willing tolerate such behavior - tree hugger or not. I've seen fragile high mountain meadows in Montana scared for years where a 4 wheeler decided to have a little fun and go bogging. I've seen 'em plow right into the Flint River. Total disregard for anybody or anything except themselves and their percieved "right" to operate their machines when and where they like.
Does this mean that ALL 4x4 operators are the same? Certainly not. But failure of the group to police themselves cost everyone the opportunity. And it is an opportunity/privilage NOT a right.
If you want to see what happens when user groups go unchecked look no further than the posts in the fresh water fishing and kayak threads on this forum to see how resevoirs have become a constant display of bad behavior. Resposibility, thoughtfulness, consideration,, and common sense go along way. Sadly missing in alot of the hunting and fishing & ORV crowd this day and time.