E call recommendations

jammeri5

Anyone have any luck with a primos dog catcher electronic call? I’ve been using one with no success other than one coyote last September. I’ve tried calling loud, quite, rabbit , deer, etc on multiple properties on multiple trips. Does the call stink or is it me? If it’s the call, what should I get?

stonecreek

I got one but its a back up ecaller now. Decent caller for the price. It is not the best on the market but it works have killed a number of yotes with it.

tgc

T
Anyone have any luck with a primos dog catcher electronic call? I’ve been using one with no success other than one coyote last September. I’ve tried calling loud, quite, rabbit , deer, etc on multiple properties on multiple trips. Does the call stink or is it me? If it’s the call, what should I get?
That’s the nature of the game. The tv shows are for entertainment only. They are hunting out west and it’s much different. Try calling softer instead of louder and not continuously. Make them search for it. Still it’s a low percentage undertaking. That’s the reason most local coyote hunters don’t continue the practice for very long. I have a Fox pro but really the one I like best is a phantom pro. Mostly just use a little handcalling now but not seriously anymore. Good luck.

jammeri5

Thanks for the feedback. I feel like I tried some really good sets with no results. I’ve hunted fresh cut hay fields with perfect wind. I heard a couple yesterday evening start up on their own and had a good wind. Tried them and still nothing. Calling quite based on my hearing but maybe I need to back off even more.

Tight Lines

Sets in GA are tough for yotes, as the wind can swirl and the cover allows them to come from virtually anywhere. Clear cut may be better, but it is very different than calling on the open prairie like they do in the TV shows. One thing I would suggest, is throwing turkey or chicken necks out in the area of your set...a little sound and some good scent will help attract them. I use the Foxpro Shockwave and I think it is a good call. Works much better in Kansas than it does in GA, at least on the land I am hunting.

Good luck!

Tight Lines

Well their noses are better than a deer so I'd say it is a factor...hence the swirling wind...I try and be as scent free as possible when setting up...

Go with a Foxpro or Lucky Duck. I use to worry about scent control because their noses are there biggest defense mechanism. The more years I hunt the less I worry about it though. There ain't a scent control product out there that can fool a canines nose. If seeing a coyote means its going to be downwind of me so be it. I can't shoot him if I can't see him is my opinion. Calling a coyote in Georgia or anywhere else for that matter is just like any other kind of hunting or calling, it's not what you see on TV and most importantly takes lots of time in the field to get good at it.

sleepr71

Don’t be afraid to try offbeat sounds. I’ve had some of my best,and quickest responses to Kitten & Puppy sounds when hunting near houses/neighborhoods. Fawn in Distress + Turkey calls are consistent producers. Coyote in Distress/Howling works good right now as they have pups now, and they will aggressively come in to try and run off an intruder.They also run in aggressively looking for what they think is a wounded puppy or a puppy that’s being hurt by another canine. I can’t tell you how many pairs Ive called in this time of year with canine sounds. Don’t be afraid to switch up, and don’t play the same sounds over and over on a place. Less calling,for shorter periods is usually better! They have an incredible sense of hearing, and can pinpoint where the sound came from from a long distance away. Even though you may not see those coyotes… I can assure … They hear whatever we can hear x 10? now, after all that is said… You are not going to kill a coyote every time you go coyote hunting in Georgia. They arent everywhere. Sometimes they hear you and could care less about your calls, sometimes they have heard that call before and been shot at with somebody playing that sound, sometimes they run/ circle down wind and smell you and you never even know they were there! Just don’t give up… Eventually success will come ?