Ear Proctection

SWAMPFOX

I need some decent ear protection for my 11 year old grandson when I take him to the rifle range. I assume the higher the decibel rating the better? Recommendations?
Thanks.

Elkbane

I favor electronic earmuffs, especially for new shooters. They can hear you speak and give instructions, but when the shot goes off, they muffle the noise. Peltor makes several lines of electronic muffs that are decent quality and wont break the bank.

Elkbane

Baroque Brass

Lowes has an earplug called Hearos. 30db noise reduction and they’re very comfortable. They have a plastic stem that makes insertion and removal easy. $5 of a pack of ten. I keep them in my range bag. If you need extra protection use those and ear muffs.

CroMagnum

Yes sir , and get him ear muffs not plugs. 31-33 decibel reduction. Actually
earplugs reduce decibels better but aren't as comfortable . In military
we used both plugs/earmuffs together.
I used the muffs along with the plugs for my daughter until I got her a pair of electronic muffs like my own

treemanjohn

Banned
Double plug an 11 year old. Howard Leigh's a good choice for reasonably priced electronic muffs. Also if he's a new shooter turn the electronic ones off when you're ready to shoot. Some people, mostly kids will flinch with amplification on. Hate to ruin a young shooter. Never use electronics only in an indoor range. Turn them off and definitely double plug

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1805652370?pid=671923&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Ear+&+Eye+Protection&utm_content=671923&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting+-+Ear+&+Eye+Protection-_-Howard+Leight-_-671923&utm_term=1101131606260

bany

I’m with the double up gang
plugs in the 33 neighborhood and good headphones too

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I favor electronic earmuffs, especially for new shooters. They can hear you speak and give instructions, but when the shot goes off, they muffle the noise. Peltor makes several lines of electronic muffs that are decent quality and wont break the bank.

Elkbane

Yep. I love mine. I like to listen to music while I shoot.