Gone But Not Forgotten
Ain't he a beauty?

Attachments

• PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 207

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If a vehicle or crop permit doesn't get him he will get bigger, but still have an odd rack i bet.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Turkey hunting this spring? Mosquito's are getting bad in our woods, and at the camp. Thermacell and bug spray might be a good idea.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
If a vehicle or crop permit doesn't get him he will get bigger, but still have an odd rack i bet.

I hunt near some crop permit shooters, Son. It's a necessity really, but you never know what they'll shoot.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Biggest concern for the farmers in my area had switched from deer to feral hogs. The hog population has exploded and they are for the most part, nocturnal. Some i know who hunt that do what they can to reduce the hog population says. They and their friends have so much pork, they now shoot and leave em in the woods. We've taken out over 150 hogs in the last year or so, and they're still coming from adjacent properties. Three traps and we shoot every one we see. Might be keeping the numbers down in our property, but our neighbors aren't having much success.
We plant our plots and cross our fingers.

Attachments

• MFDC0388.jpg
    MFDC0388.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20180527_120925968.jpg
    IMG_20180527_120925968.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 48

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We need to keep after those hogs, these caught in a trap today, Jun 16, 2018. 15 plots looking good, even though hogs have been in a couple of em. 76 isn't being very friendly to me these days, have put up several nice shooting houses so i can continue to hunt. Just don't trust those old knees and back anymore. Also, installed a winch on the golf cart, with all the rain, it may get stuck.

Attachments

• jun162018.jpg
    jun162018.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20180414_130505268.jpg
    IMG_20180414_130505268.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 30

HIGH COUNTRY

Its really really bad - Looks like a bomb went off.

Wet creek hardwoods were wet, many went down - formed high wall of fallen trees that you cant get through if you tried.

Very tiring walking through woods around and over stuff. All interior roads blocked multiple places. maybe 30/35% larger pines blown down, or snapped in half.

I lost a boat, a climber, two loc ons and about eight stick ladders. Cant even find the trees that they were in in some cases.

Hopefully some timber can be salvaged and that will begin to open up access, you can even forget a four wheeler in these areas with so many blockages.

Had to cut blockages on main dirt road just to get to two gates on property.

Kinda lost my zeal for hunting for a while... Thats my hometown and where I grew up, and roamed those woods for many years.

RABJR

Took a tractor and chainsaw up to push and pull debris around. Lots of damage for us as well. We lost a barn and everything in it. However, our cabin, roughly 150' away was unscathed. Got most of our roads cleared but lost a good portion of pine trees after 2 tornados and this hurricane. A lot of huge oaks got knocked down also. Haven't had a chance to even hunt in Early yet, and didn't hunt there at all last year. Looking to bring 2 guests- one of which has never harvested a deer, the weekend of December 15. Looking like lows in the mid 30's and highs in the mid 50's with 7-11mph winds. Burr. Temps are okay but I don't like the wind at those temps. Looks like Whiddon's in Leary is full. Where do y'all go for processing? Has anyone experienced any rut activity yet? I'm near Arlington.

Mauser

Took a tractor and chainsaw up to push and pull debris around. Lots of damage for us as well. We lost a barn and everything in it. However, our cabin, roughly 150' away was unscathed. Got most of our roads cleared but lost a good portion of pine trees after 2 tornados and this hurricane. A lot of huge oaks got knocked down also. Haven't had a chance to even hunt in Early yet, and didn't hunt there at all last year. Looking to bring 2 guests- one of which has never harvested a deer, the weekend of December 15. Looking like lows in the mid 30's and highs in the mid 50's with 7-11mph winds. Burr. Temps are okay but I don't like the wind at those temps. Looks like Whiddon's in Leary is full. Where do y'all go for processing? Has anyone experienced any rut activity yet? I'm near Arlington.
I'm in Morgan,I went hunting for the first time yesterday,to the only stand still standing/that you can get to. I process my own. But whiddons is still full trying to get some space for the wkd. There is a new processor in Patmos but I haven't heard any feedback,Mark McDaniel is the guy who owns it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our woods are a mess too. We've cleared most roads, some we can't. Too many hogs, plenty does and young bucks. Not seeing many mature bucks, although we have seen some chasing this past week.

RABJR

Finished up a 4 day trip at our camp. Mowed a lot, and just now got to where we could push and chainsaw trees from the storm last year. Thankfully the property was dry. Not much water and not many mosquitos; the gnats are a different story. I saw a few does and one buck, an 8pt around 120" still in velvet of course. Moved a stand off a field edge closer to some thicker native vegetation and 3 year old planted pines. Maybe I'll catch some slipping through the cover. The stand is an old warren and sweat tripod- pretty sketchy but I still got in it. I think I'll recut the wood and replace all the screws and bolts after this season. I haven't shot a deer in Early in about 3 years. I put out 6 cameras with some corn for the trail camera surveys so we'll see if any 4.5 year old or older bucks show up. How's everyone else been since the end of 2018?

Gone Fishin

New to Early county hunting, few questions: Will be hunting few miles north of Damascus.
1) Will I have hogs to deal with.
2) Online sources say rut in that area is Dec 15-20th. Does that sound about right. Trying to plan vacation.
3) Will the county forestry do food plot preparation. I have a small place near valdosta and the county forestry does plots for hunters to keep deer off of the road sides.

Looking forward to a fun & safe season.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
New to Early county hunting, few questions: Will be hunting few miles north of Damascus.
2) Online sources say rut in that area is Dec 15-20th. Does that sound about right. Trying to plan vacation.
3) Will the county forestry do food plot preparation. I have a small place near valdosta and the county forestry does plots for hunters to keep deer off of the road sides.

Friend of mine who owns a plantation-farm a little north of Damascus has a bad hog problem on his place.

notsob17

That is normally when i see my rut activity on my farm.

Gone Fishin

Looking forward to hunting Early county this year.

Gone Fishin

Best processor in the area. Hunting in Damascus. Will stay in Blakely, but will drive out of the way to a good processor.

I want to drop off entire deer: they gut, skin, turn it into cube steak, burger, sausage, deer sticks....

I do not want to leave carcasses or gut piles on my property if I can help it. Keep the coyotes down.