Early County

Bear10

The weather forecast is still calling for cool temperatures in the mornings for this weekend but the feed times aren't great, hopefully the deer will be on their feet and someone will have a god story to tell on this forum by Monday morning. Good luck to all!

Bear10

Had a first happen to my daughter and me Saturday morning. My daughter was climbing up the ladder to our 2-man millennium stand and I was right behind her, she stepped up on the platform, started to unfold the seat to sit in it, and there was a snake in the seat. It got very interesting but she did good and didn't jump 20' out of the stand LOL. It was only a oak snake, which fortunately, she has seen and been around several in her young life which I'm sure helped the situation.

Bear10

Nice weekend in the woods, my daughter killed her fist doe of her life Saturday morning and was as excited as if she shot a big buck. She killed two bucks last year, but hadn't shot a doe, so that was her goal this year. Starting to see more bucks show up as this weather has them moving.

jcbcpa

Yep, I think so. I had a nice one cross the road in front of me on my way to work this morning. He looked like he was on a mission. lol
Oh, it was southern Clay Co.

Gone Fishin

Saw a little chasing still this past weekend, north of Damascus.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My lease is partly in Early Co. We made a spring planting, the rains quit. Then after most of our planting died, the rains came back, and it's been raining off and on ever since. Out of 15 plots, we had four survive, looking good with peas and sunflowers. Cell camera sending plenty photo's of does and young bucks. To get mature bucks, it's necessary to put the cameras near a peanut field, but someone might see em. So I don't put cameras near the farm fields. Night hog hunters have knocked the numbers down and glad to see it. Not near as much hog sign as we saw during deer season. But now crops are up, hogs can't be shot in those fields at night, can't be seen. The numbers will rebound quickly. I've been working on our camp, and in the woods when it isn't raining.

Attachments

• campmar30.jpg
    campmar30.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 27

HogKillaDNR

Any hogs or coyotes need lead pills in Early Co?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've been visiting the woods often, getting in plots, trimming roads etc and still not excited enough to hunt the first weekend of gun season. Cameras getting plenty does, small bucks and hogs. Very few big bucks are smiling for the cameras, even at night. I think they are continuing to hang out in small woods near peanut fields. Plenty cottonmouth snakes crawling and of course the skeeters are still with us. It's been too warm for me too enjoy hunting, probably due to my age. Hot humid weather isn't too friendly anymore. When I happen on hogs, I shoot and leave them. Too darn many hogs and too warm to be fooling with em. The wet summer got crab grass as high as I've ever seen it, made it tough to clean those plots up to plant. We mowed, sprayed, let set, then broke and planted oats, wheat and radishes. Even put in a garden at camp with mustard and turnips. Good luck to everyone, hope y'all get a couple big bucks. 250 acres that joins our property sold last year. We had leased it for many years, but the new owners wouldn't lease it to us. Said another group had it leased. So far, nobody has shown up yet. We usually didn't hunt it because it stayed flooded most seasons. Just used it as a refuge more than anything.
My club has a limit of two bucks and two does per paid member. that has worked for years, and why we continue to have deer to hunt. We fear a group showing up that thinks they should take ten does and two bucks per member, and guest. That happened years ago, by a group who leased on our northwest end. They wiped out deer numbers in three years then left. It took several years for us to get the numbers back up by not shooting anything we wouldn't mount. We manage, some don't.

Bear10

Hunted Saturday morning for a couple of hours and saw some doe & yearlings. It was hot and muggy and of course it's 20 degrees cooler this morning while I'm working.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
It seems the group who leased the land locked parcel next to us have decided it's not a good place to hunt. Now the property is for sale again. Which means we have to deal with a realtor bringing people in to show during hunting season. It began the first day of regular gun, terrible. 250 acres of swamp, sawgrass, water, cottonmouths etc. We have leased it for years, but mostly used it as a refuge. Very little high ground, so not much good for anything. Less than half planted in pines about four years ago. A thick tag alder property with some cypress, but mostly brush. This is the second time in a year we've had to put up with the property being sold, they use our road for access.