Early, Miller and Seminole counties Ga

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wonder how many would hold out for this piebald? I did and when he showed up he was following a doe with two much larger bucks following. The Piebald aged at about 8 years old. We had been getting photo's of for about 7 of those years.

Attachments

• A298.jpg
    A298.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 939
  • A321.jpg
    A321.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 938

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Did get around to mounting the old piebald, but haven't finished him yet. He weighed 177 pounds, kinda heavy for a SW Ga piebald. Antlers are thick and two points are broken off. First photo got of him 7 years before, he was a 1.5 year old 8 point.

Attachments

• A319.jpg
    A319.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 936
  • A658.jpg
    A658.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 927

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Recent storms made a mess of our hunt camp. We have repaired most things, just a few small things to fix yet. Yards were a mess, we cleaned em up today. A tornado missed our campers by about 40 yards. Still have a couple large trees to remove from the front yard. Todays debree was limbs, vines, pine straw and leaves. Some trash as well, have no idea where it blew in from. Looks better now. Hand raked away from campers and building. Used the old 2N to rake the yard.

Attachments

• cleanup3.jpg
    cleanup3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 892
  • cleanup2.jpg
    cleanup2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 898
  • Cleanup.jpg
    Cleanup.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 904

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our woods continue to be flooded. Been keeping an eye out for turkey sign. None found and we haven't had any turkeys seen since mid deer season. They left when the rains flooded our woods. Looks like it's going to be a repeat of last Spring. It's muddy and rough on vehicles. Don't see much activity on this thread, Anyone reading?

Attachments

• possumone.jpg
    possumone.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 822
  • Ponepond.jpg
    Ponepond.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 824

Bear10

We have been definitely getting some rain this spring, there should be plenty of browse for the deer. I'm sure the farmers are happy to see it also. Hopefully we will have some cold weather during the upcoming deer season.

Bear10

There should be plenty of browse for the deer this year in SW GA with the rain we have had this summer. Hopefully it will produce good antler growth & healthy fawns. It's hard to believe that bow season is almost here.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
i was riding a dirt road today near jakin (early co) seen a daggum big one. in the distance it looked like his horns was as tall as his neck was long. very tall.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hurricane Michael, cancer surgery, oral surgery and clean up after the storm wiped out most of my deer season. Managed to go a bit and have had some luck. One buck, two does and about 10 hogs. Have one buck to go if it will ever stop raining. Poor cell service from Verizon in our woods, makes it necessary to go all the way home to report kills. One more buck and i'm through for this season. Got too much to do, new roof when the metal arrives. Four ceilings to replace. May not do the work, but I want to be here when it's done. Woods are flooded.

Attachments

• 9 point 2018.jpg
    9 point 2018.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 44
  • hurricane Michael 2018.jpg
    hurricane Michael 2018.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 42

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our woods are flooded, we're wading to stands. Slow season so far, does and young bucks. Our group holds out for mature bucks. We like water in the woods, but not as much as we have now.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had a lot going on, haven't posted here lately. Had a decent deer season, took a couple old does and one mature buck. Holding out for mature bucks and passing many young bucks the season almost ended with me not getting a buck. Last weekend, old wide horns showed up. 22 inches wide and with teeth worn down to the gums with some. He was run down from chasing and not eating. Taking such an old warrior means I beat him at hide and seek, or was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Anyway, I was in one of my stands that has proven itself as a good place to be. Also shot a doe and a boar hog from the same stand.

Attachments

• pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 25

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
2019 season, took the largest wild hog ever. He rushed me from behind from a thicket. Shot him at about ten yards, hitting him in the right cheek, out the neck. Dropped him right there. If he hadn't broken a stick He might have gotten to me. But the sound of a stick breaking caused me to turn around, shoulder the rifle. point and shoot. 340 pounds. Early Co. Ga.

Attachments

• Bar340.jpg
    Bar340.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 21

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
For those who try and keep up with this 79 year old hunter. I also did well in 2019-20 season. Taking two fine mature bucks and a bunch of hogs. Took out 28 wild hogs during the 2020 season, by trap and shot.

Attachments

• Dec 10thbuck.jpg
    Dec 10thbuck.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 34
  • spearpondB.jpg
    spearpondB.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Dec20.jpg
    Dec20.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 34

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our hunting property's biggest problem today is, we're losing habitat all around us. If this keeps on, our woods will be a wooded island surrounded by crop farms and pastures. The change in the landscape is already showing up by changing deer habits. Use patterns have changed. Some of our stands that were great, wasn't worth sitting this past season. We adapted though and moved a few to new locations. We have such covered stands for our elderly, women and youth. Those who are capable, still use their own personal stands as well as my covered stands. A good blind is awesome during cold wet days.

Attachments

• blindson.jpg
    blindson.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 20

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
For those who used to come by camp, we have moved about four hundred yards south of where we were. Look for the campers and the big cedar tree with our sign on it. After 19 years of renting the old camp property, the owner passed. Left to a daughter. Wouldn't sell to me unless I also bought 19 acres of swamp. Didn't need the swamp, offered 5k, no sell. offered 6k, no sell so we moved. After moving they wanted to sell to me, but we had already settled at the new location. The old camp property finally sold for 5k. We've been at the new camp for two seasons now and love it. With the season over, it's time to work on the hunting property. We manage year round, planting plots, repairing roads etc.

Attachments

• tractors.jpg
    tractors.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190616_153539685.jpg
    IMG_20190616_153539685.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 22

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When you have a hog problem, you need to stay after them year round. I run two traps and spot and stalk. Always checking around members feeders when it's not deer season. My record for now is a 340 pound bar. There's plenty more, and some might beat that. Many years ago, when living in south Fl, dogging hogs was a favorite of mine. Too darn old to follow dogs now, so I'll take em the easiest way possible.

Attachments

• hogtime.jpg
    hogtime.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 22
  • BigBar4.jpg
    BigBar4.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 22

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Couple bucks I held out for all season, neither showed up. When they came out of velvet, they both disappeared. Thinking they relocated off the property where nobody hunts. Been getting photo's of these two for three years now, they're getting old. The one is an old piebald. Last weekend, I settled for an old buck we haven't gotten photo's of. 22 inches wide with worn out teeth, following a doe.

Attachments

• big8 .jpg
    big8 .jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Piefiveold.jpg
    Piefiveold.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 16

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
A hunter can't beat the thrill of walking up on an old buck like this. Took three years to get him after the first trail camera photo. One season he completely disappeared from the camera's. I favor hunting rough places, ecotones, swamp and pond edges rather than watching plots or feeders. In my opinion, mature bucks will avoid feeders during daylight. Camera's back to back sometimes show old bucks off in the dark watching younger deer at feeders. Bait on the ground beats feeders if put in the right places. Results seen since baiting has been legal has proven that in our woods.

Attachments

• Camerabuck.jpg
    Camerabuck.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 25