Early rifle hunts

chrislibby88

I'll be at my RV camp (Turner's Campsites) less than a 1/2 mile from the southern entrance to Chestatee (tonight or tomorrow). I'm not as familiar with Chestatee as chattahoochie, where I normally hunt. But last week I found a little secret that I hope is not well known, so I'm gonna hit that up at some point.
Where y'all at?
Blairsville, Rivers Edge II. Hope you aren’t in my secret spot. There’s a 99% chance I will poop right under your drivers side door. Same deal applies to guys that park behind me @Joe Brandon Haha Hey I’m pretty sure you’ve actually killed bears, all I’ve done is miss one, so I may be looking for YOUR truck.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Blairsville, Rivers Edge II. Hope you aren’t in my secret spot. There’s a 99% chance I will poop right under your drivers side door. Same deal applies to guys that park behind me @Joe Brandon Haha
Are you coming back across the mountain to go in the south side of Chestatee?
I'll probably go in there for my 1st hunt on an afternoon...
My spots are the kind of spots that make people think 'why would anybody wanna hunt right there'?

chrislibby88

My spots are the kind of spots that make people think 'why would anybody wanna hunt right there'?
Yea I will be checking a few spots, some out of Dockery area, some out of the Dicks Creek road, and maybe a few new ones in who knows where.

bany

Maybe I should come up and show you around that one spot?
all this chatter the last year or so has me wanting to get back up there! But seriously y’all have a great time!

Mattval

Anyone else getting ready for Chestatee? My brother and I are heading up to the camper tonight. We will bow hunt tomorrow morning before the rain, then start rifle hunting Sat-Tues. If any other GONers are gonna be there y’all let me know!
I will be up there Fri

chrislibby88

Chants are out. Snakes too. A little rainy today, but not as bad as the forecast was saying earlier in the week. Hoping it breaks up and we get some clear weather tomorrow.

Attachments

• 59BB6464-B33E-45BD-8FB8-7F1178DC1719.jpeg
    59BB6464-B33E-45BD-8FB8-7F1178DC1719.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 87008C49-71FD-42AF-842F-7A06960E4C45.jpeg
    87008C49-71FD-42AF-842F-7A06960E4C45.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 58E79C7A-23BD-41B2-B177-FDA6983C9A55.jpeg
    58E79C7A-23BD-41B2-B177-FDA6983C9A55.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 56

Swampdogg

Hey guys im a new guy here and don't post much but have been reading the threads as much as i can.its been a great help . I know its clear in the regs where it shows the dates for the early bear hunts but i wanted to double check to see if the later dates are are legal for bears as well during the buck hunts ?

FIREARMS
  • Buck Only: b Nov. 17-21, Dec. 8-12 | s Dec. 26-Jan. 1

Professor

Hey guys im a new guy here and don't post much but have been reading the threads as much as i can.its been a great help . I know its clear in the regs where it shows the dates for the early bear hunts but i wanted to double check to see if the later dates are are legal for bears as well during the buck hunts ?

FIREARMS
If it states “Deer and Bear” above those dates.

chrislibby88

FIREARMS
That’s Chestatee WMA dates. You don’t want to hunt there, it’s steep, thick, and ugly. It’s wet and rains all the time, it’s either too hot, or too cold, never just right, nobody nice hunts there, and there ain’t much game. You are for real looking at single digit success rates, in pretty much all the mountain WMAs. All the rifle hunts on Chestatee are for bucks and bears, minus the bear only rifle hunt that was last week. That was your best chance at getting a bear. The later hunts aren’t as good for bear, but better for the 3 deer that live there, and me and my crew always get those, so there probably won’t be any left for you. Your chances of getting a bear drop off dramatically in November and especially December, folks still get them later in the season, but it’s more luck than anything once they start laying up and aren’t gorging on white oaks.