Eat Dirt !!!!

Just 1 More

I know mineral licks become big holes when frequently used.. But, I would think the dirt would be unhealthy to the deer when they eat it?

Attachments

• IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 171
H

HT2

Just 1...........

Naw, most of the time they are just lickin' it or puttin' in their mouth and then let it go........... :bounce:

Lostoutlaw

Naw they like to paw at it and rubthe horns in it that is why they get so deep so I was told........

Timberman

Deer prefer to ingest minerals and salts in conjunction with soil. The term for this behavior is "pica". Rarely will they eat a salt block by itself, preferring to let it melt into the ground.

People are similiar. On the highway between Cairo and CLimax(I think 33, or another road in that area, it's been awhile :) ), there was high bank with a streak of high grade attapulgite showing. There was a dug out place and you'd see people digging the clay to take home for use as an antacid and antidiarrheal. Attapulgite is the active ingredient in most antacids and Pepto. :) I've also seen just the clay for sale in country stores around there. :cheers:

bull0ne

Banned
It can be harmful to deer, not the soil but the fact of animals eating in the same location for an extended period of time,same as with a feeder.

I put minerals on dead logs and or stumps, helps in rainy weather to prevent leeching the minerals into the soil.
If i'm forced to put it on bare ground i move over a few feet each time to give the site time to naturally sterilize.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
bull0ne said:
bare ground i move over a few feet each time

That is the best way I've found also. -- Each time you refresh the site (move three feet) and eventually you have a large circle with more area available.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Gotta love a good site like this. When the deer sightings are down this time of year you can always go to a licking station and find tracks. Good for the soul.

Jim

Just 1 More

SOMEONE SHOOT ME... Just got the call that the property is not available any more... Someone made a mistake. I spoke with the land owner this morning and he has no interest in leasing the property,, that I had been mislead :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

MoeBirds

Just 1 More said:
SOMEONE SHOOT ME... Just got the call that the property is not available any more... Someone made a mistake. I spoke with the land owner this morning and he has no interest in leasing the property,, that I had been mislead :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

Sorry to hear it :( !!!
How were you "mislead"?!, :huh: if you don't mind me asking.
Is this the same property where those two huge trails led to the lick on your other post :confused: ??????

.........if so, than I am REALLY, REALLY sorry to hear it :eek: !!!