Eating gar

jigman29

May seem like a silly question but I have eaten gar for years. They are tough to clean but good table fare. I have always caught them while catfishing or just used nylon. Here's my question. I have heard the guts are poisonous so I was wondering if it's safe to eat a bow shot gar? I may be paranoid but if I shoot several I want to make sure im not gonna make the family sick lol.

watermedic

The eggs are toxic.

I have a couple of bowfishing buddies that bring me gar now and then. They have never made anyone sick.

joey1919

Same here, only ones I've ever cleaned or seen eaten were bow shot. Only females have eggs anyway and I assume they only have eggs for a short time. That said I've shot and cleaned lots of spawning gar with eggs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The eggs themselves are what you don't want to eat. I've eaten loads of bow-shot gar. Had some good blackened gar last weekend as a matter of fact.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gar is delicious. It doesn't taste like fish. It's like a mixture of lobster, frog legs, and alligator tail.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's very good. Little aggravating to clean but not terrible.

Yeah, I just chop the head and tail off with a machete or hatchet, then go down the back with some hand pruners and fillet the backstraps out. After you do a few it doesn't take long.

Anvil Head

Gar is delicious. It doesn't taste like fish. It's like a mixture of lobster, frog legs, and alligator tail.
A Cajun chef once told me that about 60% of all the gator tail served in New Orleans is actually gar. Have had both many times and never could find argument with that.

My favorite way is to cube, saute, skewer with little onions, shrimp, bacon, tomatoes, peppers then slather a bit of olive oil. Toss on the grill as you would any kabob and cook to preference with plenty of your favorite hot sauce. Serve up with cold units and watch the plates get licked. Most excellent while watching the moon come up after a long day on the water chasing bulls.

Have found that they are also easily caught on a flyrod and old worn out bass poppers. They'll do head shakes like a tarpon and porpoise alot (not quite break full free of the water, but it's a "jump" in gar world). Trick is to use their instinctive feeding slash to your advantage. Always strip across their heads from behind or at least angled far enough back they can't see it coming. Any fish with eyes that big for their size will get too good a look coming straight on and turn away. Usually get a decent hookup every third or forth strike. Play them light and have fun.

Always the larger skins would make great wrap on gator chaps (snake leggings).

critter85

No problems out of a bow shot gar for me. If the shot hits the gut cavity, I just cut about an inch of meat on all sides of the wound to be sure. Love me some coconut fried gar nuggets!

Ihunt

Say it ain't so. If that's the case, it maybe game on for me and the toothy ones.

TJay

No mention of gar balls? Maybe a regional thing I don't know but folks in Louisiana (usually po' folks) when they caught a gar they would make gar balls. They would take the meat and run it thru a grinder with onion and peppers. Add spices (it was usually pretty spicy) and cornmeal and an egg or two to bind and roll it all together into balls and deep fry. The ingredients would vary sometimes for example if there was leftover rice that would wind up in the gar balls but it was always delicious!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No mention of gar balls? Maybe a regional thing I don't know but folks in Louisiana (usually po' folks) when they caught a gar they would make gar balls. They would take the meat and run it thru a grinder with onion and peppers. Add spices (it was usually pretty spicy) and cornmeal and an egg or two to bind and roll it all together into balls and deep fry. The ingredients would vary sometimes for example if there was leftover rice that would wind up in the gar balls but it was always delicious!
I saw a couple of the guys on Swamp People do that once. Seems like a lot of work to process something that is already really good just blackened or fried or grilled.

Anvil Head

The Chinese do this with most of their fish, only they leave all the parts in except the skin (most the time). Have to fix it that way so you can get past the "Yangtese" industrial strength flavoring. Cook them so hard you can't tell the bones are there.

tsharp

Tjay right but the way we cook gar after cleaning we put the meat, chopped onions ,bell peppers and season in a pot of water. Just enough water to cover the mixture, simmer on low till all the meat is broken up after strain every thing an let cool. Put in enough flour to hold the mixture together. Roll in small balls then roll back in flour and place in hot oil till golden brown.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This wasn't hard to choke down at all:

Attachments

• blackened2.jpg
    blackened2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,649

BREAK'N WINGS

I know this thread is about Gar. I was wondering if Anyone has attempted or had Carp??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know this thread is about Gar. I was wondering if Anyone has attempted or had Carp??

Yes. They taste very strong and fishy. I like gar, but carp are not good at all in my book. If you love canned mackerel and such, you will probably like carp.