Ecofina River

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Just moved my RV to the Ecofina River.
Going to go slow and mark my best route to run the river but any experienced input would be appreciated.
I know the tides and wind are critical.

talisman

Lots and lots of rocks around econfina. Taylor county put markers in the river on a few of them but that is not all of them. watch out for north wind tides as the mouth of the river gets very low.

Hit-n-Miss

I have a 19' Kenner and can safely run with 1.5'-2' positive tide save for couple places in particular. There is a big rock at the landing if you go too far across while launching and a big one in the center of the river just past the no wake going out. And do not run the cut around the nowake!!! Lots of Ecofina info on bigbendfishing.net

notnksnemor

I have a 19' Kenner and can safely run with 1.5'-2' positive tide save for couple places in particular. There is a big rock at the landing if you go too far across while launching and a big one in the center of the river just past the no wake going out. And do not run the cut around the nowake!!! Lots of Ecofina info on bigbendfishing.net

Thanks.
I'm going to take it real easy for a while.

1633198980724.png

notnksnemor

Good deal. What size is that boat? May wanna make sure you got 2' positive tide.

20' Angler

I can run 2 1/2' but can't start in 2 1/2'.
Just don't run over me till I get my bearings.
:bounce:

Hit-n-Miss

20' Angler

I can run 2 1/2' but can't start in 2 1/2'.
Just don't run over me till I get my bearings.
:bounce:
(y) Nice boat. If you see a white haired gentleman with a beard on a golf cart there. Billy Ross AKA Bluespinner stop and talk to him. He has a place there and is a heck of a nice guy. He knows Ecofina very well. Ecofina is my preferred place to fish 20 some odd years now.

notnksnemor

(y) Nice boat. If you see a white haired gentleman with a beard on a golf cart there. Billy Ross AKA Bluespinner stop and talk to him. He has a place there and is a heck of a nice guy. He knows Ecofina very well. Ecofina is my preferred place to fish 20 some odd years now.

It works well on the flats and I get out on good days.
Have met several nice folks there so far. Haven't met Billy yet.
Going down the 9th for a couple of weeks so I may then.

Hit-n-Miss

It works well on the flats and I get out on good days.
Have met several nice folks there so far. Haven't met Billy yet.
Going down the 9th for a couple of weeks so I may then.
Nice. Post up some reports. I hope to get down there during that time period myself. Good luck.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We fished Econfina hard and heavy from about 1970 through 1975, then moved to the west around St Marks, Spring Creek, and the Aucilla. Caught a lot of fish. I need to start back fishing the area. Is the bird roost still out there?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think yes, in federal waters only, and for the commercial/for hire guys only. Something like a month ? (Nov..?)
Us recreational guys are not worthy.
Not sure if it's the same in the Atlantic.
I'm not sure exactly, I was reading and got disgusted and didn't finish.

Bigbendgyrene

I've put a 22' Panga in the Ecky fairly often since 2005 and still like to have a tide at least 1' to 1.5' positive, and that's in the spring and summer. In the winter tides tend to often be lower than forecasted so might want to plan accordingly.

Last but not least, I prefer running when the river is fairly stained versus when it clears during droughts so that I CAN'T see what I'm running over. Water may be darkly stained, but actually keeps my drawers from being stained too bad versus when I can see the tons of rocks I'm running over. ;)

notnksnemor

I've put a 22' Panga in the Ecky fairly often since 2005 and still like to have a tide at least 1' to 1.5' positive, and that's in the spring and summer. In the winter tides tend to often be lower than forecasted so might want to plan accordingly.

Last but not least, I prefer running when the river is fairly stained versus when it clears during droughts so that I CAN'T see what I'm running over. Water may be darkly stained, but actually keeps my drawers from being stained too bad versus when I can see the tons of rocks I'm running over. ;)

I'm going to be going slow with motor tilted up until I get used to the river.
I ask for everyone's patience during my learning process.

30 minutes to get to fishing isn't bad for a while.

Bigbendgyrene

I'm going to be going slow with motor tilted up until I get used to the river.
I ask for everyone's patience during my learning process.

30 minutes to get to fishing isn't bad for a while.
Notnksnemor, you probably already know about it but one BIG limestone rock to watch out for is pretty much dead center in the river just after passing the houses in the no-wake zone stretch leaving the river / just before entering the no-wake zone section with the houses when returning.

If you're operating a depth chart you'll note that it suddenly gets shallow as you approach that spot... and MANY props and lower units have been lost to it over the years. When leaving the river I usually scoot to the starboard / right to dodge it and then just wait until my depth chart shows the channel deepening a bit before trying to get on plane. Coming back in I hug that same edge before turning in at the last second to the no-wake zone with the houses though it'll be on the port / left side returning.

No shortage of other rocks to worry about when run too shallow, but that one I always do my best to scoot around just to be on the safe side. (y)

notnksnemor

Notnksnemor, you probably already know about it but one BIG limestone rock to watch out for is pretty much dead center in the river just after passing the houses in the no-wake zone stretch leaving the river / just before entering the no-wake zone section with the houses when returning.

If you're operating a depth chart you'll note that it suddenly gets shallow as you approach that spot... and MANY props and lower units have been lost to it over the years. When leaving the river I usually scoot to the starboard / right to dodge it and then just wait until my depth chart shows the channel deepening a bit before trying to get on plane. Coming back in I hug that same edge before turning in at the last second to the no-wake zone with the houses though it'll be on the port / left side returning.

No shortage of other rocks to worry about when run too shallow, but that one I always do my best to scoot around just to be on the safe side. (y)

Thanks, I've heard about that one and will get it marked first trip past it.
Everyone says a +2' tide is good but what is the normal depth of the river channel at a zero tide?