Egyptian wheat as screens

Mackie889

Hi all,
I have 3 row crop fields on my property in S. Georgia that butt up against a road. I’ve planted a bunch of Eastern red cedar seedlings to create a screen to help w/ road hunting problems. It will take several years to accomplish the screen w/ the cedars, so the next few years I was wanting to plant Egyptian wheat along these same areas. Is it too early to plant this around Easter ... not sure if it get brittle and falls over after it matures? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, thanks to everyone’s help in the past year ... all of my food plots planted so far have done very well!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
yes it will fall over when it matures. Once it seeds, the first big rainstorm with wind will knock it over some

across the river

It takes 110 days to mature, so if you plant now it will mature in August. If you can hit the rains right, I would wait until mid summer. If you want it as a screen during hunting season, you want to plant it late enough to have it mature and dry out as late a possible. If you hit the weather right and have it grown full height, even if it bends over, it will still screen everything but the jacked up trucks riding by, and those tires usually send most of the running.

marcel ledbetter

Follow seeding rate per recommendation on bag.Too much seed results in spindly weak stalks. If planted correctly makes a screen that will last well into gun seaso.

Mackie889

Thanks for the replies. The gentleman from Adams Briscoe seed (where I bought it from) did say to plant it on the thin side so that the stalks will be thicker / stronger. Instead of planting the Egyptian wheat at the same time as my spring food plots, I’ll wait until mid-June when I was going to plant my dove field plot. Thanks again for the helpful advice!

livetohunt

Next time look at "plot screen" from frigid forage...It works much better than egyptian wheat by growing taller and lasting all season.

across the river

Next time look at "plot screen" from frigid forage...It works much better than egyptian wheat by growing taller and lasting all season.

Plot screen actually has Egyptian wheat in it, but it is primarily a sorghum mix of green, Rox Orange, sweet and red, and sudangrass sorghum. That stuff is like 50 bucks for less than 10 pounds, so I would buy the sorghum seed myself and just plan that if I went the sorghum route. Most won't get as tall a the Egyptain whet though.

Mackie889

Plot screen actually has Egyptian wheat in it, but it is primarily a sorghum mix of green, Rox Orange, sweet and red, and sudangrass sorghum. That stuff is like 50 bucks for less than 10 pounds, so I would buy the sorghum seed myself and just plan that if I went the sorghum route. Most won't get as tall a the Egyptain whet though.
That’s what I’m thinking ... I paid $24.50 for 10 #’s of the Egyptian wheat. By the way, Egyptian wheat is not really wheat ... it is a type of sorghum. I might mix some other types of sorghums in next year, I can order different types from Adam Briscoe as well. I’m not trying to offend anyone, but I am not a big fan of paying more than I have to for someone else’s nice Logo & packaging with a big buck or turkey on it.

across the river

That’s what I’m thinking ... I paid $24.50 for 10 #’s of the Egyptian wheat. By the way, Egyptian wheat is not really wheat ... it is a type of sorghum. I might mix some other types of sorghums in next year, I can order different types from Adam Briscoe as well. I’m not trying to offend anyone, but I am not a big fan of paying more than I have to for someone else’s nice Logo & packaging with a big buck or turkey on it.

Yes, it is all sorghum, including the Egyptian wheat, which means it all likes nitrogen, so fertilize it well. In my experience, the Egyptian wheat holds up pretty well if planted late and it produces. Not if you get a real heavy wind, ll bets are off. Anything tall will be thin, so swan grass and Egyptian wheat are essentially the same in my opinion. I had a buddy that used to plant it between corn rows, and it appeared the corn help hold it up better than it standing alone, but I've never really worried about it falling over late in the year, because I do way more duck hunting and little deer hunting after thanksgiving, and I have just planed it for screening cover.

livetohunt

Yes..Especially with everyone on a budget now...I have used both in the past, and had better luck with the plot screen, but it is expensive.

bigfatboy

Our property got thinned last year which opens it up a lot next to the roads. The loggers of course cut all the trees right next to the road which didn't help and now the banks are washing out too. I've read a lot about sunn hemp which grows to 10 to 12' tall and fixes nitrogen and has a lot of biomass. Planted along the roads so we will see. Bought it from Hancock feed pretty reasonable.