elk hunting

mudpupy

Look I have a 270 Rem.model 700. I am going elk hunting and would like to know what i should set my scope at to shoot say 300 yards?

Skipper

Banned
The only thing I would be concerned with is the distance and the round. I would think with a 270 you wouldn't want to try a shot over 200 yards on an elk. A 300 or 338 would be a lot better at 300 yards or more. A 270 has got enough power to kill an elk, but you are going to have to be a touch closer than you would with a bigger bored rifle.

Skipper

CAL

I agree with Skipper.I have a friend that went Elk hunting last year.He killed his elk at less than 100yds.with a 300mag.Said the animal only flinched from the hit.Took a few steps and fell dead.A 300mag.is somewhat more than a 270 too.Good luck with whatever you do.

Skip I would not think a 338 would be good for elk. Maybe moose where you can get closer. But a 300 yard shot with a 338. heck it would drop 10 feet. :rolleyes: We always used 7mm mags. The differrence in a 270 an 7mm will be impact. Distance is about the same. Look it up. Most of the locals use 30-30 but they are looking for meat not antlers.

Last edited:

QuakerBoy

your 270 is plenty of firepower to kill an elk at 300 yards. Your bullet choice may be a bit different than what you would use on a lighter skinned deer. Look at the winchester fail safe's

or something along those lines.