Emoluments Part 2

He is asking the G7 to meet at his Doral Golf resort,..

Of course he is making money when doing this,.. are ya blind?
So Moving Boy, have you ever heard of the federal agencies, General Services Administration (GSA) and General Accounting Office (GAO)?

The President can make recommendations for locations to meet, but the Executive office of the President will have to justify use of any location and the prices must meet GSA rules. If a Trump facility is used, the GAO will audit the transaction and issue a public report. That is how the federal government works. That is how it worked when Obama held meetings at locations owned by his contributors, and the GAO famously said thay Obama violated federal law by paying donors and receiving campaign contributions from the same donors. That is how it worked way back when Slick Willie Clinton held "secret meetings" with his attorneys - that the GAO timely reported failed to meet GSA guidelines.

If the G-7 meets at Doral the financial end of the transaction will be among the most closely watched transactions in history. But, why not? Trump bought the Doral in 2012 (I think) because he thought it was a first rate resort. Why not go someplace first rate?

If Trump Doral makes money off the G-7, President Donald Trump will not see any personal benefit from it for 5 years - if at all. President Trump is NOT in charge of any of the Trump assets - none.

MoneyBoy, you got any more MediaMatters complaints to share?

PopPop

Well he is flying around on Air Force One, that saves him money, that's the same as making money, Cause emoluments an stuff.

Thread starter #24
By the year 1480, when that entry was made, Latin emolumentum had come to mean simply "profit" or "gain"

"The emoluments clause, also called the foreign emoluments clause, is a provision of the U.S. Constitution (Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8) that generally prohibits federal officeholders from receiving any gift, payment, or other thing of value from a foreign state or its rulers, officers, or representatives."

Source to above is Encyclopedia Britanica
https://www.britannica.com/story/what-is-the-emoluments-clause

The Constitution specifically prevents this,.. for obvious reasons.

If you are a mayor of a Town you cannot decide to host events for Town business in your own Hotel,.. that is illegal for obvious reasons.

The Founders were quite clear on this.

If you support the Constitution and wish to protect it,.. do not ignore it when convenient.

Let's petition the Supreme Court to indict and convict George Washington for holding meetings with the French at Mount Vernon and billing Congress. While we are at it, Indict John Adams, he had a Cabinet meeting to discuss the English in his home when Congress was in recess and ordered the Treasury Secretary to pay for dinner. Then there are all those criminal meetings during Thomas Jefferson's Presidency, held at Monticello and supplies paid for by French or English diplomats (Jefferson was pretty near broke at the time). Every President who had a home with room for visitors has held meetings in their home and the federal government usually picks up the tab for most of the expense, but foreign powers have a history of "contributing" to meeting expenses. Emoluments have NEVER included meeting expenses as a gift or payment.

Many Presidents have conducted National business on non-resident property owned by themselves or family members. Franklin Delano Roosevelt conducted a significant amount of the business of the Presidency from his private residence, and public Polio spa, at Warn Springs, GA. Foreign visitors, FDR's staff, even the Cabinet repeatedly met at Warm Springs. All foreign visitors who did not stay in FDR's small cabin, PAID to stay at FDR's spa. Significant improvements to the property and surrounding community were made at federal expense over the 12 years President Roosevelt used Warn Springs for government business, yet all proceeds from the spa went to FDR.

If I were the mayor of a town, and my hotel was the best place to hold events, I could certainly hold events in my hotel AND IT WOULD NOT BE ILLEGAL! In fact, if I obtained sufficient documentation to support fair pricing, I could have the city pay for the event and the only people to complain would be the whiny children I didn't invite!

It is probably time for the Moving Boy to MoveOn to a new dishonest MediaMatters/Soros talking point. It was fun playing, but this subject is played out.

Thread starter #26
Billing congress is not the same as accepting money from a foreign country.

No one said billing congress is illegal.

I work for my State and yes it is illegal to steer business to a private business that I have an interest in. I have to sign a mandatory conflict of interest document each year stating that I understand the conflict of interest laws.

It is right here ,.. it is called Self Dealing, section 19

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/summary-of-the-conflict-of-interest-law-for-municipal-employees

The Constitution specifically prohibits what Trump is doing,.. for obvious reasons.

Choosing to ignore our Constitutional Laws is wrong.

Lilly001

By the year 1480, when that entry was made, Latin emolumentum had come to mean simply "profit" or "gain"

"The emoluments clause, also called the foreign emoluments clause, is a provision of the U.S. Constitution (Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8) that generally prohibits federal officeholders from receiving any gift, payment, or other thing of value from a foreign state or its rulers, officers, or representatives."

Source to above is Encyclopedia Britanica
https://www.britannica.com/story/what-is-the-emoluments-clause

The Constitution specifically prevents this,.. for obvious reasons.

If you are a mayor of a Town you cannot decide to host events for Town business in your own Hotel,.. that is illegal for obvious reasons.

The Founders were quite clear on this.

If you support the Constitution and wish to protect it,.. do not ignore it when convenient.
Wow.
Why do you Comunist try so hard to find fault with Trump?
You must stay up at night searching the internet for any suggestion of wrongdoing.:unsure:
Does he scare you that much?

Thread starter #29
No Trump does not scare me,.. I actually agree with many of the things he is doing.

What scares me is folks who get hoodwinked into thinking breaking Constitutional law is ok because he is one of "us", and "My Guy".

That is what is scary to me.

Folks on this forum say its all about the defending the constitution but will turn a blind eye when convenient for their candidate. That kind of thinking is bad for this country and I will call out either party when I see it occurring.

Why do I call it out,.. not because I am afraid,.. but because I am a Patriot.

dwhee87

What scares me is folks who get hoodwinked into thinking breaking Constitutional law is ok because he is one of "us", and "My Guy".

Folks on this forum say its all about the defending the constitution but will turn a blind eye when convenient for their candidate. That kind of thinking is bad for this country and I will call out either party when I see it occurring.

Isn't it the Supreme Court's job to determine what is constitutional and what is not?

You and I (and the Daily Kos, and MSNBC, and CNN) can have an opinion, but you know what they say about those....

Thread starter #32
The words about elected officials accepting money from foreign governments is quite clear in the Constitution.

It is not what I say,.. it what the founding fathers wrote down.

Yes and it will likely go to the Supreme Court,.. I sure hope they do not say that this can become the "new" normal that an elected official can accept cash from foreign governments,.. because he is "Our Guy"

If so,.. we are really screwed!

If Obama did this you guys would be running around with the AR's,.. and I would be standing right there with you saying this is wrong.

It is not what I say,.. it what the founding fathers wrote down.
No it's not. It's your interpretation of what the founding fathers wrote down so yes, the Constitution is what you say it is. I disagree and my opinion is just as valid as yours because we are equals.

PopPop

No Trump does not scare me,.. I actually agree with many of the things he is doing.

I am a Patriot too. A smart one at that. Let's get back to the Sharpie.