"End of Civilization" gun(s)

Quepos1

I listened to a knowledge gun collector/gunsmith talk about what single gun would he want if civilization broke down and he broke it down to one of two guns. In rifle he chose a Mauser 98 chambered in 30/06. His rationale was you will not wear one out regardless of rounds fired and if something break a repair or replacement part is readily available. 30/06 for obvious reasons, power and worldwide availability.

Shotgun he only discussed one, Remington 870 in 12 gauge. There are hundred of thousands available making replacement parts readily available. He said he personally knows 870s that have had 80,000 rounds fired thru them and they still function perfectly.

What say you?

bullgator

I guess it would require each person’s scenario to be considered. Those that live in high density areas may lean to a more high capacity firearm and even a semi auto.
I think he’s really on to something for those that can afford to go that route.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I can see the rationale behind the 870. A rifle I would go with a 22 magnum Henry lever action. I’m not a urban guy at all. I need a rifle that will harvest game here in middle Georgia. It still needs to be quite enough that people way off could not hear it. It is a round that can drop a wild hog and at the same time can offer a little better range than the 870 which reigns supreme at up close and personal range. Both could provide protection as well as harvest food

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would go with a .22 single shot bolt action or a 12 gauge, either an 870 or a Mossy 500 or a single-shot H&R. Then again, a flintlock rifle would make some sense.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I would want a Chiappa Shiloh Sharp`s replica in 22 magnum, with a flip up Vernier sight.

natureman

Most would never last more than a couple of firefights. There is always someone who is a better shot than you. I used to think I was a pretty good shot until I started shooting competitively. My caliber of choice is 22 magnum with suppressor. Easily shoot out to 200 yards when properly scoped.

Last edited:

Rich M

Only 2 long guns? Hmm.

10/22 with a couple bricks can go a long ways and last a long time. Very reliable platform.

870 duck gun is a workhorse and very familiar for reloading and using instinctively. Like a part of my body.

But I got more stuff. . 22 is logical due to quiet and effective.

Would be hard to beat an AR or a pistol carbine and pistol w same ammo.

I'm also assuming that this is for after the initial unrest. That 3006 will come in handy then. Could likely get a few AR rifles if sitting tight and waiting for opportunities.

Nimrod71

Nothing beats and 870 in 12 ga. As for rifles there are a number of options. The 30-06 is a good one and at the top of the list but in a disaster situation I would add a 22 rifle. A big rifle for big things and the 22 for rabbits and squirrels and varmints. Also you can carry 500 22's very easily. My list would be the 870, 700 in 308, 10/22 and a 686 S & W 357. For folks that want and auto rifle I would go with the Ruger Mini 14, SKS or AK.

Quepos1

I completely understand the rationale for a 22 but if society has broken down and there are people foraging for food including what you may have I think you would be terribly under gunned with a 22. The 30/06 would provide the long range defense capability as well as power needed to take any N American game.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I completely understand the rationale for a 22 but if society has broken down and there are people foraging for food including what you may have I think you would be terribly under gunned with a 22. The 30/06 would provide the long range defense capability as well as power needed to take any N American game.
You can kill anything in north america with a .22. And it's quiet. And you can carry a lot of ammo.

transfixer

I've got an old Marlin mod 81 dl that was my grandfathers, tube fed, holds a fair amount of LR 22's, has Marbles buckhorn sights on it with a very fine bead. Most accurate 22 I've ever shot in my life, and I've shot a bunch, I agree on the 870 also,, although I'd hate to limit myself to just two.

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The OP asked about gun(s). That means one or more the way he typed it.

nmurph

If they're breaking into my house with deer rifles, then I'm going to want a gun that can take them out bf they get close enough to take me out...50BMG.