"End of Civilization" gun(s)

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
No love for the 7.62x39?

I like it and 5.45x39, actually I like 5.45 more than 7.62, problem is a steady supply of 7.62x39 and 5.45 ammo. Eventually when I run out of Russian 7n6 5.45 I dont know what I will do. Thankfully I have a large amount salted away from when it was cheap, but its not a lifetime supply, same with 7.62x39

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
My Bravo Company rifle will have to be pulled from my cold, dead hands. For the scattergun, Benelli. Don’t need parts for a Benelli.

Reactions: Dub

trial&error

I like your thoughts but you didn't offer what could fit the bill of all those requirements and still be a reasonable solution.
It would be an AR in 5.56 very light and common throughout the USA. Parts and add-ons are plentiful. Most people who own one have spare parts available from upgrades wether it's new triggers, optics, or furniture so you can find parts without finding a supply depot. 223 will kill pretty much any critter on this continent. Plenty of armor piercing ammo available too, probably some in your very neighborhood. Low tech easy maint, quick disassasembly/assembly mag changes are quick. Excellent on 2 legged critters.

delacroix

BANNED
The only gun I've never had a malfunction with is a Mossberg 500. Of several centerfire, mid-grade ARs, only one malfunction and that was due to Tula ammo. I have worn out parts on a couple rimfire ARs and one polymer centerfire AR.

A Mossberg will eventually need ejector parts. ARs will eventually need parts, too. But if you have the parts they will run reliably for a lifetime. Those are the only two I know of which will do that.

nrh0011

The only gun I've never had a malfunction with is a Mossberg 500. Of several centerfire, mid-grade ARs, only one malfunction and that was due to Tula ammo. I have worn out parts on a couple rimfire ARs and one polymer centerfire AR.

A Mossberg will eventually need ejector parts. ARs will eventually need parts, too. But if you have the parts they will run reliably for a lifetime. Those are the only two I know of which will do that.

That Tula ammo will make an AR super dirty. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the steel casings?

oppthepop

Three guns for me - maybe four
1. Diamondback ar-10 in .308
2. Ruger 10/22
3. Remington 870 (old model)
4. If possible a High wall in 300 mag with excellent optics. You will never know where it came from.
But alas, all of these are dream guns, right?

delacroix

BANNED
Serious but simple question for those who would choose an AR as your only survival gun...what caliber?

Think about that for a minute before you answer, there's a lot to take into consideration...ballistics, weight, size, capabilities, availability in parts/ammo for that particular caliber, with/without optics, etc.

I'm not suggesting I wouldn't choose an AR based on my available choices at a given time, I'm just asking for thoughts and why since there are so many possibilities.

In other words, what's the ideal AR in your opinion, if you were to have a choice of configuration in advance. Go.

Wolf 6.5 Grendel 100gr is pretty impressive. Great penetration of barriers and tumbling bullets for hunting. The only way 5.56 beats it for a GA general purpose round is 5.56 with a brake shoots flatter, which is superior for multiple targets at short range. My truck gun is a cheap Grendel AR. It only sees steel case. I haven't cleaned it in several hundred rounds. Never an issue.

Dub

It would be an AR in 5.56 very light and common throughout the USA. Parts and add-ons are plentiful. Most people who own one have spare parts available from upgrades wether it's new triggers, optics, or furniture so you can find parts without finding a supply depot. 223 will kill pretty much any critter on this continent. Plenty of armor piercing ammo available too, probably some in your very neighborhood. Low tech easy maint, quick disassasembly/assembly mag changes are quick. Excellent on 2 legged critters.

Hard to argue against an AR-15 in .223/5.56

Worked nicely for Kyle Rittenhouse. Chased down. Threatened. Chased some more. Smashed over the head with a skateboard....but had the focus and mindset to end the deadly threats presented to him.

Used a rifle to end the threats....close enough to smell their stench......yet a rifle that can take out targets at a couple football fields away.

A pile of ammo can be worn...full magazines in mag holders, vests, cargo pockets, backpack.

Recover the brass and reload it when time permits. A couple pounds of powder, few thousand primers and a small Lee kit will fit in a section of a a backpack.

I'd want a 1-6 scope with daytime brightness center dot with mil Christmas tree reticle. Would be perfect for immediate aim on close targets as well as way out there semi-precision stuff.

Some fishing hooks & monofilament in a pocket. Gotta enjoy some fish on occasion, too.