Endurance

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are way too many people in this country now. Like about a hundred million too many.
Amen. I'd say 299,999,000 too many myself.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
There are way too many people in this world. I fear too many could care less and think they will be the only ones to survive. But this was a beautiful post by Mr Parker and we (including me)should respect it as such. Thank you Steve for letting us have a moment in time with you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Poignant reflections and a peek into your soul. Nice writing. Gil
It gets dark and strange in there sometimes. :)

xdguy226

Man, what beautiful words and scenery. I too crave those kind of places, I just don't get to explore them as much as I would like. Job, family and everything else gets in the way most of the time. As I heard someone say one time "Trout don't live in ugly places". Please keep these posts coming whenever possible. Thanks

RFJ25

Great story! I haven't logged on in a while due to also being busy with work. I loved reading this. Thanks for taking us along on your decompression outing. Great photos of the beech and gnarled roots.

I think there should be a fee for driving through and for day use. That would slow some visitors but more importantly help with funds for maintenance.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great story! I haven't logged on in a while due to also being busy with work. I loved reading this. Thanks for taking us along on your decompression outing. Great photos of the beech and gnarled roots.

I think there should be a fee for driving through and for day use. That would slow some visitors but more importantly help with funds for maintenance.
No, no, and double, triple, and quadruple no. The GSMNP wasn't created from empty federal land. It was made by dissolving and dislocating communities and violently ripping peoples' roots from the soil. My ancestors gave up their homes, farms, land, and lives to form the GSMNP. They were taken from them at the price the government set, with no options. They did not want to leave. They were given no choice. Due to this, and the fact that most of the funding came from donations of the people of NC and TN (along with a matching donation from John D. Rockefeller,) one of the carved in stone caveats at the beginning was that there would NEVER be an admission fee to enter the park.