English pointer —Catahoula cross

jknight

Anybody ever try the English pointer Catahoula cross I’ve had good luck with black mouth English pointer I got a guy wanting me to make a Catahoula pointer cross. my registered female pointer now in heat. Trying to decide to make the cross or just stay were registered Bird Dog. Bird dogs are doing great they’re just too long range for a lot of people

oldways

I bred some pointers with bulldogs made a rangey and super gritty dog I don't see why that cross your asking about wouldn't work for you. I said it before a I was guilty of it many times a hoghunter is the only person around that will buy purebred dogs to breed a litter of mutts I have done this many times sometimes it works sometimes it don't but you got to try or you'll always wonder good luck and I happy huntin ..

jknight

I bred some pointers with bulldogs made a rangey and super gritty dog I don't see why that cross your asking about wouldn't work for you. I said it before a I was guilty of it many times a hoghunter is the only person around that will buy purebred dogs to breed a litter of mutts I have done this many times sometimes it works sometimes it don't but you got to try or you'll always wonder good luck and I happy huntin ..
. Thanks

Blackston

Crosses like this could go either way ... but I’m my experience, the majority are so so hog dogs with one or 2 firecrackers, If ya make the cross raise em to a year old and then cull em out

jknight

Yeah I thought about doing it because a friend wanted to make that cross but nobody else is probably going to want that particular cross so probably just stay straight Bird Dog this time I’ve had good luck with black mouth And English pointer. But I don’t need no more hog dog puppies right now

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best hog dogs I've had were Airdale, redbone cross. They were very intelligent. Would bay until I told them to catch.

oldways

Best cross I every made was Plott x Blackmouth they were super gritty and had a ton of bottom and pruty rough I got asked to leave a place one time because my dogs were too rough But I didn't go there to play or get outran I kept this line going until I got out of it about 8 years ago..