Enoch

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Been doing a little research lately on the Book of Enoch. Some very interesting and unique stuff in there, from a theological, historical, and scientific viewpoint. It's not in the "normal" Old Testament, but is included in the Bibles of some sects, including the Ethiopian Orthodox. Anybody else ever delve into it?

Artfuldodger

I haven't read much about it. Enoch is mentioned in Genesis 5:18-24, 1 Chronicles 1:3, Luke 3:37, Hebrews 11:5-6, & Jude 1:14-15 so I wonder why it wasn't included or canonized?

Mars

Check out Chuck Missler on YouTube. He has a way of explaining the Bible like no one I've heard before.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read much about it. Enoch is mentioned in Genesis 5:18-24, 1 Chronicles 1:3, Luke 3:37, Hebrews 11:5-6, & Jude 1:14-15 so I wonder why it wasn't included or canonized?
From a podcast I listened to about it the other day, seems like there were two theological sects of Jews, and the Enoch sect wasn't the dominant one when the current Old Testament was assembled. The Second Temple sect became more powerful, and kind of pushed the others to the side.

Another interesting thing was the Astronomy knowledge in there. Apparently, that sect of ancient Jews operated on a solar calendar instead of a lunar one, and probably had the most accurate calendar and understanding of how the solar system works that was in use in the world at that time.

Angel Eyes

Watch southern seminary Were the son’s of God in Genesis 6 fallen angels. It explains in my opinion how Paul in the New Testament explains in Timothy 1 1:4 and 4-7 that it is a bunch of nonsense. Basically saying the book of Enoch was written to blame sin on angels not people. Further YouTube research seems to show that Enoch was written well after Genesis to fill in the gaps. Just one person opinion but I don’t believe in the book of Enoch.

Artfuldodger

Watch southern seminary Were the son’s of God in Genesis 6 fallen angels. It explains in my opinion how Paul in the New Testament explains in Timothy 1 1:4 and 4-7 that it is a bunch of nonsense. Basically saying the book of Enoch was written to blame sin on angels not people. Further YouTube research seems to show that Enoch was written well after Genesis to fill in the gaps. Just one person opinion but I don’t believe in the book of Enoch.
But if Enoch was a prophet as mentioned by Jude, would not he have written as the other prophets.

Angel Eyes

The book of Enoch chapter 71 he goes up into heaven and is shown that savior and it’s Enoch himself. That is in contrast to the rest of the Bible that it’s Jesus. Also both the Greek and Hebrew canons do not include Enoch. It’s a interesting read but does spend a lot of writing blaming falling Angels on all the problems instead of people.

Artfuldodger

The book of Enoch chapter 71 he goes up into heaven and is shown that savior and it’s Enoch himself. That is in contrast to the rest of the Bible that it’s Jesus. Also both the Greek and Hebrew canons do not include Enoch. It’s a interesting read but does spend a lot of writing blaming falling Angels on all the problems instead of people.
I don't see the term "son of man" as being problematic as Ezekiel was called this as well. It does look to be problematic in that Enoch was describing a messianic son of man though. Meaning he was just describing a messiah and then it is revealed that he is it, more or less.
That's very problematic.

Artfuldodger

On another thread I'm trying to picture blaming Satan and the falling angels on the world's problems more than people. If Satan and these angels have no power, then how can we truly blame them?

Angel Eyes

Some biblical scholars think that Enoch was not written by Enoch. That may be why they left it out. But the fact Enoch was mentioned in the New Testement does make you wonder if some of it is true.

Dr. Ken Johnson associated with Berean Call Ministries says that Enoch was written by three different authors

Moody bible professors maintain it was not original part of Hebrew bible.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Been doing a little research lately on the Book of Enoch. Some very interesting and unique stuff in there, from a theological, historical, and scientific viewpoint. It's not in the "normal" Old Testament, but is included in the Bibles of some sects, including the Ethiopian Orthodox. Anybody else ever delve into it?

There is some very interesting stuff in there.

Angel Eyes

Southern Seminary is on YouTube. The one I referred to was titled “we’re the son’s of God in Genesis 6 fallen Angels

Madman

yep

BassMan31

I find it devilish and uninteresting. The books references Enoch as the savior (blasphemous) and blames the fallen angels for Man's issues (dismissive of the gospel (which is also blasphemous)).

It was left out because of its obvious basis in insidious assertions.

You'd do well to steer clear. It promotes useless imaginings.