Epiphanius and the early christians

BANDERSNATCH

Epiphanius, an early church "father", wrote about different sects in the 4th century. One of these sects, which I identify with :) was called the "Nazarenes" Here is what he had to say about these 'weirdos'. lol

Panarian 29

7,1 But these sectarians whom I am now sketching disregarded the name of Jesus, and did not call themselves Jessaeans, keep the name of Jews, or term themselves Christians – but “Nazoraeans,” from the place-name, “Nazareth,” if you please! However they are simply complete Jews.
7,2 They use not only the New Testament but the Old Testament as well as the Jews do. For unlike the previous sectarians, they do not repudiate the legislation, the prophets, and the books Jews call ”Writings.” They have no different ideas, but confess everything exactly as the Law proclaims it and in the Jewish fashion – except for their belief in Christ, if you please! (3) For they acknowledge both the resurrection of the dead and the divine creation of all things , and declare that God is one, and that his Son is Jesus Christ.
7,4 They are trained to a nicety in Hebrew. For among them the entire Law, the prophets, and the so-called Writings – I mean the poetic books, Kings, Chronicles, Esther and all the rest – are read in Hebrew, as they surely are by Jews. (5) They are different from Jews, and different from Christians, only in the following. They disagree with Jews because they have come to faith in Christ; but since they are still FETTERED BY THE LAW (lol emphasis mine) – circumcision, the Sabbath, and the rest – they are not in accord with Christians. (6) As to Christ, I cannot say whether they too are captives of the wickedness of Cerinthus and Merinthus, and regard him as a mere man – or whether, as the truth is, they affirm his birth of Mary by the Holy Spirit.

I believe there has probably always been a remnant (Rev 12:17) of christians who observe what they can of the Law. It brings reward :) per, Jesus.

Last edited: