Etowah Mine Tunnel

RamblinWreck

That drop in the middle has got me more than once. A friend used to have river access just below the tunnel entrance, and we would hang out, wade, and have cook-outs there. Once or twice we had folks walk down the river and ask us for help getting a canoe or kayak out. It is possible to walk in there when water is low. Unfortunately, the land was sold and we no longer have access. I haven't been this year. Fun, and scary!

mdgreco191

That drop in the middle has got me more than once. A friend used to have river access just below the tunnel entrance, and we would hang out, wade, and have cook-outs there. Once or twice we had folks walk down the river and ask us for help getting a canoe or kayak out. It is possible to walk in there when water is low. Unfortunately, the land was sold and we no longer have access. I haven't been this year. Fun, and scary!

That is cool! Yeah the drop got a lot of us on that trip!

Jethro Bodean

Just some trivia, but the cause for that drop is known, by some of us old geezers.

They started making that tunnel from both ends, intending to meet somewhere inside the mountain (maybe even at the middle).

I'd say that was some pretty good aiming through solid rock, because the 2 tunnels did meet, with only a little jog in it.

jbogg

It’s easy to float right on past the entrance if you don’t know where it is. We learned to keep the paddles in line with the boat, and ride it out like the old log ride at six flags. Trying to use a paddle in there is a good way to lose some teeth.

Jethro Bodean

^^ That's right.

And one thing I would personally never do, is paddle through it without wearing a helmet. Then again, I won't paddle among rocks without a helmet, at any time. I am a former whitewater kayaker, motorcyclist, etc., and I am very partial to trying to keep my brain inside my skull, which a helmet has accomplished for me, quite a few times.

dsweat

We have 4 taking the plunge tomorrow. None of us have made the trip. Video and posts have been very helpful. Wish us luck!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Good luck, I hope you make it through before they finish the grating they are putting up at the exit.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Awesome. I wanted to do this but it sounds like I probably won’t get the chance.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Sucks ya got dumped 3 times. Especially twice in and at climax. Glad you recovered your rods and at least you wasnt the only won to dump.(y)

dsweat

Gauge had it at 4.6'. Had my seat to far back. Started turning at 2nd drop and missed my stroke to correct. Boat hit wall and turned me, dumped out immediately. Middle section rolled me up pretty good. Coming out of tunnel was no picnic either.
Life vest and helmet did their jobs.

mdgreco191

Gauge had it at 4.6'. Had my seat to far back. Started turning at 2nd drop and missed my stroke to correct. Boat hit wall and turned me, dumped out immediately. Middle section rolled me up pretty good. Coming out of tunnel was no picnic either.
Life vest and helmet did their jobs.

That section can chew you up for sure! I felt like I had been in a fight the next day.