Evangelical Christianity and the Great Commission.

gordon 2

How did Evangelical Christianity get to interpreting that the Great Commission was for all followers a duty when in fact it is stated in scripture ( in all Gospels) a mission given to the 11 apostles only? How did Evangelical Christianity go from one group of Christians to all Christians? I can't find out how this came about so far. Does anyone know or might be able to point out its genesis?

It is my understanding that all followers should be prepared to give an explanation of the hope they have for their Christian faith, but I'm not clear that all followers should be prepared to make disciples? How did this idea that they should come about? Is it stated in scripture somewhere I don't know of?

Artfuldodger

How did Evangelical Christianity get to interpreting that the Great Commission was for all followers a duty when in fact it is stated in scripture ( in all Gospels) a mission given to the 11 apostles only? How did Evangelical Christianity go from one group of Christians to all Christians? I can't find out how this came about so far. Does anyone know or might be able to point out its genesis?

It is my understanding that all followers should be prepared to give an explanation of the hope they have for their Christian faith, but I'm not clear that all followers should be prepared to make disciples? How did this idea that they should come about? Is it stated in scripture somewhere I don't know of?
I can't answer your question but it does appear to be a command given to just those disciples but how did Jesus expect it to be spread beyond those 11? Plus if those 11 made disciples, were not those that they made suppose to make more, etc, etc.?

Artfuldodger

Even before Evangelical Christianity spread the gospel, wasn't the Church already making disciples and spreading the Gospel as well? The Church was very influential in talking the rulers of Spain and other European countries into venturing to other lands for the good and advancement of both the Church and those other nations. Most of those ships had disciples on them and set up missions in the new lands.

gordon 2

Even before Evangelical Christianity spread the gospel, wasn't the Church already making disciples and spreading the Gospel as well? The Church was very influential in talking the rulers of Spain and other European countries into venturing to other lands for the good and advancement of both the Church and those other nations. Most of those ships had disciples on them and set up missions in the new lands.

The Church was doing this--as the Church, yes. Or at least that is how I have understood it. The Church would send out specific individual ( missionaries) so tasked in the case of Spaniards and the French they were priests attached to the explorers to the New World.

Last edited:

gordon 2

As 11 disciples, make disciples of all nations who go and do likewise. I thought it was rather simple!

I'm not sure it is. Specific individuals were so tasked. For example Peter was with other followers when Jesus told him to " Feed my sheep." It was said specifically to Peter not the others.

And the 11 they were not just disciples? Were they not them that had been witness since Jesus had received John's Baptism up to the Resurrection at that point (They were those Jesus had said follow me to...) Or the point I'm trying to make is that the disciples were in fact the Apostles specifically and not all disciples. The other people ( disciples Jesus likewise appeared to after the Resurrection to were not specifically tasked with making disciples according to scripture... as in the case of the disciples going to Emmaus for example. Did Jesus say this to James for example?

Last edited:

gordon 2

“And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”

- 2 Timothy 2:2

Was the mission given to the Apostles to make disciples of the nations a part of " that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses?" which Paul reminds Timothy? Is Timothy tasked with ministry to the faithful or those who have the new faith or is Paul sending him to make new disciples in this case?

This is what Timothy is tasked with and why according to Paul hence he contrasts what he has taught "that thou has heard of me among many witnesses" with what is being taught at Ephesus which is error:

3As I urged you on my departure to Macedonia, you should stay on at Ephesus to instruct certain men not to teach false doctrines 4or devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculation rather than the stewardship of God’s work, which is by faith.…

Last edited:

brutally honest

Was the mission given to the Apostles to make disciples of the nations a part of " that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses?

How could it not be? That was Paul speaking to Timothy. Paul received the gospel through direct revelation from Jesus and was His chosen messenger to the Gentiles.

gordon 2

How could it not be? That was Paul speaking to Timothy. Paul received the gospel through direct revelation from Jesus and was His chosen messenger to the Gentiles.

Yes Paul was a chosen messenger to the Gentiles. But was Timothy so chosen? Was Timothy like Paul tasked as if he was an apostle?

Note that Paul does not get specific instructions by Jesus of what to do. He is sent to the city and... "Then the Lord said to him, “Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”

So I'm not sure Paul received the gospel through direct revelation and his vocation was perhaps not due as we think. What marks Paul as an apostle is that he saw the resurrected Jesus as the other apostles had and went on to make disciples of the nations. I suggest that Paul was told what to do in the city most likely by the saints who ministered to him( that is where he got his gospel) and from there his vocation which was got as others get them today and get them approved...perhaps.

For me what is interesting about Paul is that he had the insight that if Jesus was who he was, and he was, then he had come for the gentiles also and not only for the Jews as per scripture. He could have received this revelation from Ananias.

The Lord said to Ananias that Paul was a chosen vessel and witness to the gentiles.

The Lord said to him ( Ananias) , “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children[c] of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

Last edited:

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
We are all his chosen messengers! It’s kind of a dead book if it only speaks to a few select! Everyone is called to something, but we are all disciples making disciples, be it one on one or 3000 in a day! The power of the gospel is we are all just men and women moved upon by the Spirit to carry the message according to His purpose. No church or man shall convince me otherwise!

RegularJoe

Worthy question as to how it came to be (more on that in just a second* : ).
Theologically, evangelizing would be for those with the related gifts.

*I have found numerous practices in today's Bible preaching, teaching and practicing churches whereby the same question (how did 'it' come to be : ) is worthy of asking, e.g., why does the Lord's Prayer, recited in most of said churches, include,
" ... for Thine is the power and the glory for ever...."
when it is not included as that which Christ taught in Matt. 6:9-13 or Luke 11:2-4?
How did that come to be?

gordon 2

We are all his chosen messengers! It’s kind of a dead book if it only speaks to a few select! Everyone is called to something, but we are all disciples making disciples, be it one on one or 3000 in a day! The power of the gospel is we are all just men and women moved upon by the Spirit to carry the message according to His purpose. No church or man shall convince me otherwise!

I understand you and would not convince you otherwise because there is sincerity in your understanding that the gospel is its own power. Yet my heart tells rightly or in error that if we are all disciples making disciples than no saint would ever need the itch to church hop or by design to quit the assembly yet we have a great history of just this within Christianity. The ocean would-should be the same ocean at every peer sort of thing--- but it is not so.

That we are all messengers this is true. That we are all individual ministers of the Great Commission I'm just not certain it is the design's case. It looks like people have a view that it is, but is it scripture based? And therefore my question in the OP on the genesis that the Great Commission is a work or duty of the individual Christian.

Last edited:

brutally honest

So I'm not sure Paul received the gospel through direct revelation ...

"But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

- Gal. 1:11-12

gordon 2

Worthy question as to how it came to be (more on that in just a second* : ).
Theologically, evangelizing would be for those with the related gifts.

*I have found numerous practices in today's Bible preaching, teaching and practicing churches whereby the same question (how did 'it' come to be : ) is worthy of asking, e.g., why does the Lord's Prayer, recited in most of said churches, include,
" ... for Thine is the power and the glory for ever...."
when it is not included as that which Christ taught in Matt. 6:9-13 or Luke 11:2-4?
How did that come to be?
I'm sure there is a good solid answer. Good question in the specific and on how things come to be believed as given in general. Good insight bros.

brutally honest

Yes Paul was a chosen messenger to the Gentiles. But was Timothy so chosen? Was Timothy like Paul tasked as if he was an apostle?

Paul chose Timothy:

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee"

- Titus 1:5

gordon 2

"But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

- Gal. 1:11-12
Well you have a point and a good one.

Paul finds himself saved by faith in Jesus perhaps...and this revelation was not taught to him, he received it directly from Jesus because Jesus showed up for him. In simpler words Jesus blinding him and his subsequent recovery was not something others could teach him. What Christ "preached" or "informed" into Paul by his personal encounter with Paul far exceeded what men and women can teach on the gospel... as is the case with others who have had such personal encounters. When I think of what Paul taught it is consistent with what others have though who have shared in a similar personal revelation. Or if you will think of how "changed" the tax collector was from a home visit.

Maybe....

In any case you have a good point.... I must admit.

Last edited:

gordon 2

Paul chose Timothy:

"For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee"

- Titus 1:5
Yes. In other words Timothy's work was that of leader to oversee or adviser to the assemblies already in existence.. or it was his task to set up assemblies for those new in the faith or without assemblies. He was to organize a tangible leadership of the new congregations and minister to the assemblies when needed. Not every disciple in the new congregations was fit to make disciples just yet, which was why he was sent. Which is why I'm hesitant that it is the duty of the individual disciple to minister the Great Commission.

Last edited:

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
John 17
20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.”

Artfuldodger

Jesus made Paul a disciple, even thought he wasn't seeking God.
How can a man(one of the apostles or us) do likewise?
How can a man, go to foreign land and make someone a disiple? Actually that might be easier than going out and trying to make someone such as Paul was a disciple.