Evening Spottail Run w/vid-pics

Scout'nStripers

I went down to the dock this evening and threw the net a couple times for some spottails. We got about 2 dozen in a couple casts and headed for the brush piles. This morning I messed up and didn't hit the record button when Lisa was bringing in a nice fish. This evening she hung another nice one and I made sure we had the camera rolling. Her biggest this evening weighed in at a little over 4lbs (4.13) and I had one a little over 3 so she won the big fish pot today and I think I got her in numbers. Here's a video of a few of our spottail fish this evening including Lisa's 4lber.

Attachments

• IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,774
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,775
  • 20150802192538(2).jpg
    20150802192538(2).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,769
  • DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 1,787
  • IMAG0518.jpg
    IMAG0518.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,599
Last edited:

goob

thats awesome. how are you fishing those minnows?

Scout'nStripers

thats awesome. how are you fishing those minnows?
Thanks. Same as the drop shot rigs and hooking the spottail vertical through the upper lip.

Lanier Jim

Spottail fishing is so much fun. When I get a kid in my boat - I catch some and they have a blast. Good stuff Jim....great video...and it's obvious the wife can fish!

Scout'nStripers

Spottail fishing is so much fun. When I get a kid in my boat - I catch some and they have a blast. Good stuff Jim....great video...and it's obvious the wife can fish!
Thanks Jim. That was her first time with spottails but it didn't take her long to get the hang of it. I think it's like drop shotting with training wheels.

BTW, I ordered some of them LJ's special worms so we'll be giving those fruity worms a try over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

goob

I'd love to try that.

Scout'nStripers

I'd love to try that.
It's a lot of fun goob. The hardest part is finding the spottails. I usually have a good number around my dock but with the lake levels being drawn down, most of them have move to cooler waters. Right now the only place I can find them is in the shady cooler waters.

Lanier Jim

Thanks....did you order online? my son probably saw the order and hasn't said anything yet.

Scout'nStripers

Thanks....did you order online? my son probably saw the order and hasn't said anything yet.
Yep, ordered on line Jim. We're looking forward to dropping some of them baits on our brush piles. The fish are getting used to looking at my old worms and colors.

Deer Tic

Coolbeans, still trying to get my daughter up there before the spottails leave. That video brought back some memories we've had together with those things! Fun Stuff for sure!!!

Scout'nStripers

Coolbeans, still trying to get my daughter up there before the spottails leave. That video brought back some memories we've had together with those things! Fun Stuff for sure!!!
Hopefully the spottails will stay around a while. I noticed that this year they are a lot more scarce around our dock and in our creek. I was looking for them at the Lanier Beach ramp on Monday and there were none to be found. I'm not sure if it because of high surface temps or the lake being pulled down or both. I haven't checked any of the beaches out on the islands yet but that's where I usually get them when I'm not netting them in our creek.

Good luck and I hope you and your daughter get on some spottails and bass soon!

goob

How long do they usually hang around?

Scout'nStripers

How long do they usually hang around?
At least another month. It really depends on water temps but I see them well into fall around the shore on the warmer sunny days.

txc35

I caught Spot tails in m case net late in October last year. When do they come back shallow this spring?

Scout'nStripers

I caught Spot tails in m case net late in October last year. When do they come back shallow this spring?
It depends on water temps but the way it's looking, they may show up in good numbers by early to mid May this year.

FMBear

Eating dinner while looking at that last photo made for a choking experience...but totally worth it!

No doubt getting beat on the big fish of the day by your better half is a worth while treat, as she is a heck of a fishing partner!

Scout'nStripers

Thanks Fred. She is a heck of a fishing partner. She really took to the drop shotting and the shaky head finesse fishing over the past year. She even put a good one in the boat on a lipless crank over at Guntersville weekend before last for the club tourney. We're both excited about the drop shot season coming back around soon.

gunnurse

No video- it says "restricted."