Ever felt like you were being watched?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Agree, great thread.

I'll throw a story out there.

Two seasons ago I found myself on public land turkey hunting. In haste I had scouted this area only minimally in the previous weeks so I never found a roost, but tons of sign in this particular area. Full disclosure I have only turkey hunted about a dozen times in my life up to that point.

So I park, I'm the only vehicle on the shoulder up and down the road as far as I can see with my flashlight, and i saw no other vehicles on my way in down the road.

I walk into my spot a good 2 hours before first light and settle into my tree and got comfortable.

I can't remember exact times, but it was maybe a half hour I was sitting there and all of a sudden I hear walking, about a footfall every 2 seconds or so.

I say walking because it sounded distinctly of a biped trying to stay quiet. Not 4 legs, but distinctly 2. It didn't sound to me like a deer, but I don't have that much experience deer hunting either.

It sounded very close too, if I had to guess maybe inside of 15 yards. The weird thing is the walking just sort of came on all of a sudden, I didn't hear it coming from a distance and start to get louder as someone walking up to your spot should sound like. It was almost as if whatever it was was already there and I was the one who had encroached. I got a little startled but thought 'okay someone else has come this way to hunt too,' or 'maybe I just bumped someone,' but I was nearly a mile into woods and I feel like it was early even by turkey hunting standards because I hadn't seen another vehicle.

Anyway, I stayed dead still but my blood was pumping so hard i could hear it in my ears, the walking suddenly ceases and I get the feeling like whoever or whatever it is knows something (me) else is here. I can just feel it.

So I lightly clear my throat in case it is a human and I want them to know I'm here. There was no sound for a good 20 seconds and then the walking thing just walked off at the same pace with which I first heard it.

This story sounds really stupid now that I'm actually typing it out for the first time, and I'm sure it was a deer or possibly (but doubtful) a turkey, but at the time it thoroughly creeped me out because whatever it was was already very close by when I came to sit at my tree and quite possibly was just silently watching me try to be stealthy and quiet.

It was probably a deer now that I'm recalling this story, but man it sure did give me the creeps at the time.
Man I appreciate you sharing that story. I love these stories of odd occurrences. Most likely it’s something really mundane and ordinary behind them but they’re fun all the same. This is why I got this thread started up again.

More than likely what you heard was an armadillo. Those dang things still fool me sometimes. They sound so much bigger than they are when you hear them in the leaves.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Agree, great thread.

I'll throw a story out there.

Two seasons ago I found myself on public land turkey hunting. In haste I had scouted this area only minimally in the previous weeks so I never found a roost, but tons of sign in this particular area. Full disclosure I have only turkey hunted about a dozen times in my life up to that point.

So I park, I'm the only vehicle on the shoulder up and down the road as far as I can see with my flashlight, and i saw no other vehicles on my way in down the road.

I walk into my spot a good 2 hours before first light and settle into my tree and got comfortable.

I can't remember exact times, but it was maybe a half hour I was sitting there and all of a sudden I hear walking, about a footfall every 2 seconds or so.

I say walking because it sounded distinctly of a biped trying to stay quiet. Not 4 legs, but distinctly 2. It didn't sound to me like a deer, but I don't have that much experience deer hunting either.

It sounded very close too, if I had to guess maybe inside of 15 yards. The weird thing is the walking just sort of came on all of a sudden, I didn't hear it coming from a distance and start to get louder as someone walking up to your spot should sound like. It was almost as if whatever it was was already there and I was the one who had encroached. I got a little startled but thought 'okay someone else has come this way to hunt too,' or 'maybe I just bumped someone,' but I was nearly a mile into woods and I feel like it was early even by turkey hunting standards because I hadn't seen another vehicle.

Anyway, I stayed dead still but my blood was pumping so hard i could hear it in my ears, the walking suddenly ceases and I get the feeling like whoever or whatever it is knows something (me) else is here. I can just feel it.

So I lightly clear my throat in case it is a human and I want them to know I'm here. There was no sound for a good 20 seconds and then the walking thing just walked off at the same pace with which I first heard it.

This story sounds really stupid now that I'm actually typing it out for the first time, and I'm sure it was a deer or possibly (but doubtful) a turkey, but at the time it thoroughly creeped me out because whatever it was was already very close by when I came to sit at my tree and quite possibly was just silently watching me try to be stealthy and quiet.

It was probably a deer now that I'm recalling this story, but man it sure did give me the creeps at the time.
Sounds like a rabbit. At night, they will let you get within 10 feet of them. If you don't move from that point and stay quiet, they will carry on with their routine after a few minutes.

Gary Mercer

You know, years ago, when Oconee was a new lake. Few houses, and fewer Marinas.
I was pre-fishing for a tournament on a Friday morning in late October.
Up in the mouth of Sugar Creek, behind all the standing timber, when I was overcome by the urgent call of nature.
No Problem. Right?
So I slide the old Ranger into the back of a little pocket, hop out with my handy roll of construction paper, and, not to bore y'all with the details, took care of business. After which, I climb into the boat, push off and start out with the trolling motor.
When to my shock, up the ridge to my right comes a shout, "HEY JERRY, WE MIGHT WELL GO HOME. THAT A HOLE JUST SCREWED UP THE WHOLE AREA."
Returning shout, "SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM OUT WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!"
Needles to say, yours truly slipped off with the trolling motor on high and a very red face.
Sure DIDN'T FEEL LIKE I WAS NOT ALONE THEN..

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
You know, years ago, when Oconee was a new lake. Few houses, and fewer Marinas.
I was pre-fishing for a tournament on a Friday morning in late October.
Up in the mouth of Sugar Creek, behind all the standing timber, when I was overcome by the urgent call of nature.
No Problem. Right?
So I slide the old Ranger into the back of a little pocket, hop out with my handy roll of construction paper, and, not to bore y'all with the details, took care of business. After which, I climb into the boat, push off and start out with the trolling motor.
When to my shock, up the ridge to my right comes a shout, "HEY JERRY, WE MIGHT WELL GO HOME. THAT A HOLE JUST SCREWED UP THE WHOLE AREA."
Returning shout, "SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM OUT WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!"
Needles to say, yours truly slipped off with the trolling motor on high and a very red face.
Sure DIDN'T FEEL LIKE I WAS NOT ALONE THEN..
They must not have been lookin into your eyes.

hawkeye123

Didn't happen in woods, but was spending night with my buddys house in Greenville, going hunting in am on his Meriwether co. land. I was upstairs in guest bedroom in his antebellum house built in 1870, was a hospital in 1890's. There is a creaky spot in floor, when you walk down hall to bathroom. Got up to go relieve myself about 0330 & heard the hardwood floors creak, thinking it must be his 12 year old daughter going to bathroom, I peeped down hall, no one was there, waited a little went down hall to bathroom, floor creaked loudly like it always did, walked back down hall and soon as I laid back down floor creaked again, jumped up outa bed pistol in hand , no one there! When I told them next day at lunch after hunting what happened, they laughed & talked about how many people had died there, never spent another night there, hair stood up on my neck like never before!!

westcobbdog

Somewhere on the web is a website real estate agents use to post and discuss work including creepy stories. A friend recently told me she read a story about an agent taking a listing of an older estate owned property. She stopped by once alone and got creeped out just walking into the family room. She didn’t linger long and later bought along a friend and her husband to do some more pre listing work. Agent walks back into home and goes through family room. Friends in tow holler out there’s an old man on the sofa, and they all ran out the door. Agent ended up selling home with no further occurrences