Ever seen one of these?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Down in Putnam County Florida back in 1976. Saw 2 about a week apart. Probably the same one though. Purty thang too.

Also saw T-43 when he came through Baker County, a couple of weeks before he was caught and taken back.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Looks like puma concolor, and I've only seen them in captivity.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a big ol' purty kitty! I assume there are some hounds in the vicinity?

six

Just black ones.

godogs57

That's a big ol' purty kitty! I assume there are some hounds in the vicinity?
Nope....just one middle aged elk hunter. They know of four that make the ranch I hunt home...this was one of em.

I hunted there this past fall, taking a bull. On a previous hunt there in 2010 I found "tracks in my tracks" after making a roughly four hour circular route still hunting one morning. I'm sure it was just curious, not actually stalking me or anything of the sort. Also seen one take down a cow elk on a 2007 elk hunt...that was exciting to see. It was over with in a flash. When it saw us, it shot out of there like a cannon, leaving the carcass to munch on later. Here is a pic when we visited it the next day:

Mountain lion kill 2.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal! I'd love to see one of those.

lonewolf247

That’s a nice looking cat! I’ve seen 1 in my lifetime, and that was over 30 years ago. I don’t think there are anymore in these parts.

swamp hunter

Had one wade thru 10 inches of water and walk by me in a 10 Ladder stand ,About 15 yards away headed north at a high rate of speed chasing a deer ,and then south again down the same trail as he walked back by with no deer and a sad look on his face..

SRShunter

Down in Putnam County Florida back in 1976. Saw 2 about a week apart. Probably the same one though. Purty thang too.

Also saw T-43 when he came through Baker County, a couple of weeks before he was caught and taken back.
Gonna take a wild stab and say the ocklawaha river ocala national forest area?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Gonna take a wild stab and say the ocklawaha river ocala national forest area?

Close. About 15 miles north of the Ocklawaha, in the old 9 Mile Swamp. That place was crawling with bears too. There was some good hunting in there.