Everglades Trip

BirdDogRoy

Looking to make a trip to the Everglades in March for a few days with a friend. Has anyone made this trip before? We are carrying an 18' Beavertail and planning on camping out on a chickee, somewhere near Flamingo marina maybe? Would love to hear some advice on making this trip.

Thanks in advance!

Limitless

If you haven't been to 10,000 Islands and the Glades, prepare to be ruined. It is a unique opportunity to see primitive FL When you add the fishing to that, it is something every angler should do. I have been to Chokoluskee and Flamingo several times but never camped; usually stay on Choko. The bugs are pretty bad for camping but March can be really windy, so not good for fishing but good to keep the bugs down. There are always places to get out of the wind.

Fishing will be great for everything from Mangos to Snook. Fishing ranges from the outside islands to the back country. You will need to do some research on charts and google earth - there are some really tricky navigation areas and a lot of bars, shoals and oyster bars. Several folks are investing in FL Marine Tracks chips, but at $495 that's really steep if you're not going to use it many, many times. Of course you could get one and then sell it online after your trip.

For the majority of fishing solid spinning gear in 3000 or 4000 sizes with 20# braid will do fine (heavier stuff if you are targeting Tarpon). The usual inshore plugs and bucktails and jig heads with gulp new penny shrimp. You should check out some other forums like FL Sportsman and Micro Skiffs for fishing reports and info on the 10,000 too.

swamp hunter

If your headed to Flamingo , your headed to the East side, Miami and surrounds. Don't really know a lot about it , Busy Place , 3 million folks in Dade County alone.
...West side , Chokoloskee is much more laid back and there's a bunch of campsites to the east of it.
I've visited them all , camped at some. Live down the street , be there tomm at 8ish am on the flood tide.

BirdDogRoy

If your headed to Flamingo , your headed to the East side, Miami and surrounds. Don't really know a lot about it , Busy Place , 3 million folks in Dade County alone.
...West side , Chokoloskee is much more laid back and there's a bunch of campsites to the east of it.
I've visited them all , camped at some. Live down the street , be there tomm at 8ish am on the flood tide.
Thank You!

BirdDogRoy

If you haven't been to 10,000 Islands and the Glades, prepare to be ruined. It is a unique opportunity to see primitive FL When you add the fishing to that, it is something every angler should do. I have been to Chokoluskee and Flamingo several times but never camped; usually stay on Choko. The bugs are pretty bad for camping but March can be really windy, so not good for fishing but good to keep the bugs down. There are always places to get out of the wind.

Fishing will be great for everything from Mangos to Snook. Fishing ranges from the outside islands to the back country. You will need to do some research on charts and google earth - there are some really tricky navigation areas and a lot of bars, shoals and oyster bars. Several folks are investing in FL Marine Tracks chips, but at $495 that's really steep if you're not going to use it many, many times. Of course you could get one and then sell it online after your trip.

For the majority of fishing solid spinning gear in 3000 or 4000 sizes with 20# braid will do fine (heavier stuff if you are targeting Tarpon). The usual inshore plugs and bucktails and jig heads with gulp new penny shrimp. You should check out some other forums like FL Sportsman and Micro Skiffs for fishing reports and info on the 10,000 too.
Thank you very much!

krizia829

I live down in Miami and there's too many people! It really sucks.. Marinas are packed with people, all the nice spots are always taken, etc. I's just very overcrowded. A nice place to go fishing which i've actually heard is great for snook fishing is Everglades City. Small town, very peaceful. I've been there to go to the smallwood store museum and eat at the Rod & Gun club and loved every second I was there. 10,000 islands as mentioned above i've also heard is great. Never been camping out here in the glades but get ready for mosquitos! They're everywhere! Good luck though! Sounds like a great trip!

Whitetailer

I suggest you go west and camp on the beach at Middle Cape Sable. Those chiki huts attract lots of birds that make a serious mess if you know what I mean. You can smell it from half mile away. Better breeze on the beach for heat and bugs too. Option of fishing all the shallow shoreline and creeks along with East and Middle cape canals.