Evil Chipmunks... ok to kill?

deadend

It is hard to get rid of them. My 2 cats kill at least 4 a week around my place and I swear the population is increasing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Game animals shouldn't prance around in my yard.What about this idea... If a game animal lets me get close enough to kill it with a .177 pellet gun, it is probably rabid, and I'd be doing it a favor. Think I could convince the game warden of that?

Nope.

crackerdave

Chipmunks are neither classified as a game animal or a pest in the DNR regulations, you could check with the local DNR Ranger for clarification on that if you wish. The only legal problem you may encounter if you shoot them with your pellet gun would be any Cobb county laws or HOA restrictions on using it in your neighborhood. I kind of doubt that Chipmunks are at fault for your garden predation problems, I may be wrong in that but more likely the damage is being caused by Rabbits or possibly even rats. Large snap traps with a mixture of peanut butter and oatmeal as bait should work for them if you cannot shoot them for whatever reason.
Good post!:cheers:

Game animals shouldn't prance around in my yard
.What about this idea... If a game animal lets me get close enough to kill it with a .177 pellet gun, it is probably rabid, and I'd be doing it a favor. Think I could convince the game warden of that?
Hate ta tell ya this,but they've been prancin' around there since way before it was ever "your" yard, and will most likely still be prancin' there long after it ain't "your" yard any more.:bounce:

Resica

Legal Status
Chipmunks are not protected by federal law, but state and local regulations may apply. Most states allow landowners or tenants to take chipmunks when they are causing or about to cause damage. Some states, (for example, Georgia, North Carolina and Arkansas) require a permit to kill nongame animals. Other states are currently developing laws to protect all nongame species. Consult your local conservation agency or USDA-APHIS-ADC personnel for the legal status of chipmunks in your state.

Found it online.

mwood1985

i lived a mile from the marietta Square...we used to shoot tree rats with bbguns all the time when i was younger..IE yesterday...and ive shot a couple coyotes and a deer during the season with the bows too. go for it man

crackerdave

You won't put much of a dent in the chipmunk population with a pellet gun,unless you are a world-class marksman.:shoot::rofl:

Prolly put more pellet holes in th' neighbor's windows,than you will in Chip and Dale!

Sagan

You won't put much of a dent in the chipmunk population with a pellet gun,unless you are a world-class marksman.:shoot::rofl:

Prolly put more pellet holes in th' neighbor's windows,than you will in Chip and Dale!

hah... not likely, only shooting them (er.. i mean to say only thinking about shooting them) in the garden. It's only about 10 yards from my deck. Sort of like a really, really big tree stand, with a BBQ pit and chase lounger. Worst that I would do, if I were to miss, would be to kill a squash plant.

crackerdave

hah... not likely, only shooting them (er.. i mean to say only thinking about shooting them) in the garden. It's only about 10 yards from my deck. Sort of like a really, really big tree stand, with a BBQ pit and chase lounger. Worst that I would do, if I were to miss, would be to kill a squash plant.

Sounds like fun!:banana:

Holler if ya need reinforcements!

KingTiger

The 'monks have dug about 50 holes around my house. I'll put some of the rat bait bars down the holes & then repeat in two weeks. That knocks 'em out for a couple of months & then I have to repeat the process. Most of them die down in the burrow, I've only found a couple of carcasses on top of the ground after many years of this practice. My dog stays in the house so that's not an issue.

Sagan

The 'monks have dug about 50 holes around my house. I'll put some of the rat bait bars down the holes & then repeat in two weeks. That knocks 'em out for a couple of months & then I have to repeat the process. Most of them die down in the burrow, I've only found a couple of carcasses on top of the ground after many years of this practice. My dog stays in the house so that's not an issue.

I might have to give that a try too. A website I read said they won't eat the rat bait, but they were trying to sell their own electrified trap. Any particular rat bait that you use?

sewer hog

Set you out a few small live traps with sunflower seeds, just be sure you use rubber gloves to not get your scent on the bait, this should help get rid of them, you can kill chipmunks but only in a humane way(no drowning) a peelet rifle would get the job done. You would have to worry about your local hoa if you have one other than that you should be legal, or you could get bait boxes that are lockable, this way the poison has less of a chance to harm non target animals, coat the poison blocks with peanut butter to help draw them in, most the poison that is offered to the public is multy dose and not single dose, so you would need something to help hold and keeping them coming back to the bait if you choose to go that route. The live cages will give you an idea of the population as you catch them.

Coastie

Set you out a few small live traps with sunflower seeds, just be sure you use rubber gloves to not get your scent on the bait, this should help get rid of them, you can kill chipmunks but only in a humane way(no drowning) a peelet rifle would get the job done. You would have to worry about your local hoa if you have one other than that you should be legal, or you could get bait boxes that are lockable, this way the poison has less of a chance to harm non target animals, coat the poison blocks with peanut butter to help draw them in, most the poison that is offered to the public is multy dose and not single dose, so you would need something to help hold and keeping them coming back to the bait if you choose to go that route. The live cages will give you an idea of the population as you catch them.

The problem with poisons is that the carcass of the target animal becomes a source of the poison which other critters pick up. Dogs, cats, birds etc., will become colateral damage in many cases. A farmer in MO. was prosecuted by the USFWS and fined a bunch a couple of years ago because poison he had put out for coyotes ended up killing some Eagles. Poison may have its uses but you must be very careful using it.

sewer hog

No doubt, you have to be smart about it, alot of the poison that are available to consumers is multi dose feedings, and I put in a few phone calls to bell labs who make contrac blox and commercial poison for pest control companies and they told me that the poison once ingested will metabolize within the animal and that there is no risk of secondary poisoning, however if your runnning a buisness or have animals yourself, i don't think that I would put it to the test. Live traps , alot less risk.

Sagan

Ok.. 33 replies. I never knew that people hated these things so much. Glad to see that I am not alone ;) (also read: misery loves company).

Last edited by a moderator:

crackerdave

As a small farmer,I feel the same way about deer as you do about chipmunks. Dang varmints!:banginghe

bighonkinjeep

If you relocate a fairly large eastern king snake or black rat snake into one of the burrows the population will drop quickly and dramatically.
I know you probably wanted to do it yourself but by doing this you're enlisting the aid of an expert. There aren't too many creatures with more chipmunk removal experience than those 2.

Sagan

If you relocate a fairly large eastern king snake or black rat snake into one of the burrows the population will drop quickly and dramatically.
I know you probably wanted to do it yourself but by doing this you're enlisting the aid of an expert. There aren't too many creatures with more chipmunk removal experience than those 2.

That might work a little too well. Pretty sure that would run my wife out of the house as well. ts ain't worth a divorce settlement.

Last edited by a moderator:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
They are tearing up my house. Can not seem to get a shot on them. Any other way to get rid of them

Get a GOOD FEMALE OUTDOOR cat. I cauight a feral kitten, tamed it, and it is a chipmunk killing machine. They were digging all around our barn. Everybody thinks they are "cute & cuddly" but when they undermine a house foundation ( I have seen this firsthand at a residence) they lose their cuddly factor real quick. They can cause walls to shift, foundations to crack and flood your crawlspace.