Evil Chipmunks... ok to kill?

Sagan

Anyone know if it's legal to shoot chipmunks with a high power pellet rifle in Cobb County? My wife is blaming them for eating the garden and has tasked me with "defending the food". Now, normally, I'm willing to shoot and eat just about anything, but this will be the first time I've had to shoot an animal to eat a vegetable :huh:.

Thanks for any insight into any possible issues.

SneekEE

i would think you have a right to defend your property from pests. It isnt illegal to put out rat traps in the house, dont see much difference in a rat and a chipmonk.

Fishin & Hunting

Got one bothering my garden, just can't seem to see it when I have my pellet gun handy.

Good luck

lowlight223

If you don't tell what happened to the chipmonk, then no one will ask or know! ......Just say'n!...... (black op)

wranglerjoe1968

They are tearing up my house. Can not seem to get a shot on them. Any other way to get rid of them

tullisfireball

Had an exterminator tell me it was illegal to shoot them. He knew I wasn't going to hire him so I know he didn't tell me that to try to get a job...:shoot:

ABAChunter

there is another option. get a bucket. fill it half up with water. then but a layer of sunflower seeds on top so they float and you cant see the water. put it on a slope so they can see the sunflower seeds. the chipmunks will jump in not knowing there is water.

Boar Hog

I used to have the same problem, I was told that chipmunks are considered squirrels ,so you must be licensed and "hunt" them during squirrel season. Did i say I (used) to have this problem?Try gopher smokers, I bought mine at the Home Depot.

Washington95

Local animal control told lady trapping/drowning them that they were federally protected.

Sort of like other problems we encounter; don't talk much, just act.

Coastie

Chipmunks are neither classified as a game animal or a pest in the DNR regulations, you could check with the local DNR Ranger for clarification on that if you wish. The only legal problem you may encounter if you shoot them with your pellet gun would be any Cobb county laws or HOA restrictions on using it in your neighborhood. I kind of doubt that Chipmunks are at fault for your garden predation problems, I may be wrong in that but more likely the damage is being caused by Rabbits or possibly even rats. Large snap traps with a mixture of peanut butter and oatmeal as bait should work for them if you cannot shoot them for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Coastie

Local animal control told lady trapping/drowning them that they were federally protected.

Sort of like other problems we encounter; don't talk much, just act.

That is not correct, they are NOT protected either federally or by the state of Georgia. Many people employed by various animal shelters and even some animal control types will tell you anything to 'save the wildlife'.

Sagan

ok... so, if they are chipmunks, keep my mouth shut and solve the problem. On the chance that they are rabbits, getting inside the chicken wire, are they protected? And if so, by who, and for love of God, WHY?

MX5HIGH

Chipmunks getting into wifes birdfeeder. Go to Lowes get snap traps ($4.99). Load with peanut butter and the bird seed the varmint was after in the first place. Go out next day and empty trap of catch and reload. 6 in the last two weeks + 2 mice.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I know this, chipmunks chewed up a couple nice stands I was using in Bulloch Co. Al, back in the 1980's. Caught em in the act. Guess they were getting some bedding material.

sportsman94

you can also fill a bucket halfway with water, then put a flat, thin stick baited with peanut butter halfway in, when they get to far on the stick it falls and they drown

Coastie

ok... so, if they are chipmunks, keep my mouth shut and solve the problem. On the chance that they are rabbits, getting inside the chicken wire, are they protected? And if so, by who, and for love of God, WHY?

Rabbits are a game animal and there are a lot of people that love to hunt them not to mention they taste mighty good.

Sagan

Rabbits are a game animal and there are a lot of people that love to hunt them not to mention they taste mighty good.

Game animals shouldn't prance around in my yard.What about this idea... If a game animal lets me get close enough to kill it with a .177 pellet gun, it is probably rabid, and I'd be doing it a favor. Think I could convince the game warden of that?