Excited about a new challenge.

Todd Cook

I guess in some ways I'm going about this backwards. I've hunted for years with a longbow, even a primitive selfbow at times. I don't have any accurate guess of how many critters I've killed with a rifle and other weapons over the years. Even a few with a caplock. But this is new to me. I built this like I do most things; read all I can find and jump in with both feet. So this started as a chunk of maple, a barrel, a siler lock and a few loose parts. .54 cal, 36" barrel. There's been a learning curve to shooting it, but it's steadily getting better. I'm really looking forward to October.

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_145636890.jpg
    IMG_20200813_145636890.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200414_170555332.jpg
    IMG_20200414_170555332.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 48

Hillbilly stalker

Man I cant wait till you score with it. There must be a certain amount of satisfaction you get when you started it from step one. Good luck this year, that's a fine looking and shooting rifle.

Darkhorse

Looks pretty good for a first time parts build. I would like to see more detailed photos. I know you didn't ask for a critique but I do see one thing that's easily corrected...the rear sight is on backward.
So what is the load you shot that target with? That's a pretty good group this early in the process. What was your distance?
You might find the flintlock just overtakes the rest of your hunting. I deer hunt with mine 95% of the time. I built a .40 to hunt turkeys with and for the past few years it's the only weapon I've taken after those spring gobblers.
You are right about it being a "New Challenge", I was an accomplished caplock shooter and hunter when I took up the flintlock challenge. I almost quit before the season even started I was shooting so bad.
But I didn't quit, I just kept shooting and gradually it all came together.
Same thing will work for you too.
SS850183.jpg

georgia_home

The grain/finish of that stock is awesome.

A number of the folks shooting them have posted in the various threads over the years and it just grabs my attention every time!

Looks pretty good for a first time parts build. I would like to see more detailed photos. I know you didn't ask for a critique but I do see one thing that's easily corrected...the rear sight is on backward.
So what is the load you shot that target with? That's a pretty good group this early in the process. What was your distance?
You might find the flintlock just overtakes the rest of your hunting. I deer hunt with mine 95% of the time. I built a .40 to hunt turkeys with and for the past few years it's the only weapon I've taken after those spring gobblers.
You are right about it being a "New Challenge", I was an accomplished caplock shooter and hunter when I took up the flintlock challenge. I almost quit before the season even started I was shooting so bad.
SS850183.jpg

snuffy

Looks, GREAT! What load are you shooting?

flconch53

For some reason putting the sight on backwards is a real common mistake. My feeling is if you are getting a group like that don't worry about it

Todd Cook

SS850183.jpg
I didn't know that bout the sight:). For whatever reason it looked right that way. That group was about 40 yards. I see pictures of some that shoot like that at 100, but my eyes won't allow it any more. I've hunted with a stickbow so long I don't care about long shots at game anyway.

At first I was having ignition troubles. It's got a white lightning vent liner but was unreliable. Then I realized the hole was too small. I went up to a 1/16 bit and she'll go off quick now. That helps a BUNCH! I'm using FFG in the barrel and the pan. I know 3 of 4f is supposed to be faster in the pan but it's quick enough for me now.

I've got a Lyman Great Plains caplock in .54 that uses the same load. I've shot enough animals with it to be confident in it. Looking forward to fall.

Darkhorse

I use from 75 to 85 grains of 3fg depending on how many hogs we have. That is a jam up load for Georgia whitetails, not bad for the west either.
I prime with 4fg. I've never experienced it attracting moisture or getting runny like many claim it does for them. It's my strong belief that it is faster than 2 or 3fg. Especially so if your locks are tuned to reduce friction and gain some speed.
Not many rifles and shooters can shoot a 100 yard group like yours using traditional rifles and sights. I take the claim with a grain of salt unless I'm there to see it done.
I don't care about 100 yard groups with my flintlocks anymore as I seldom take shots over about 75 yards. As long as it shoots good at 50 yards I'm satisfied.
This is a group I shot with my .54 at 50 yards. That rifle has a 38" Colrane barrel and a LH Large Siler lock.
CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg